Author Topic: Necrotizing Fasciitis  (Read 10310 times)

Offline cleaner

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Necrotizing Fasciitis
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »
Use alcohol or pop the razor in the micro for a few seconds, this works good with toothbrushes also. Just don't set it too long, a few seconds is all thats needed to kill anything.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 03:47:02 AM »
You can buy small bottles of alcohol gel in ASDA here so I would expect you can get it in Wal-Mart over there. I also have access to hibiscrub (the stuff they use to scrub up in operating theatres). It might be good too. Man this is a scary thread  :o
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 09:10:19 AM »
Brown recluse spider bites have an effect that is very similar to this. Also, I don't know how many people in here watch the Ultimate Fighter series on Spike, a few seasons ago they had an outbreak of MRSA in the Vegas gym and (I think it was) Diego Sanchez got an infection in the knee which actually ate a hole in in his leg. I don't know many people who are healthier than Sanchez so I think the compromised immune system could exacerbate the problem but I believe that this kind of stuff is extremely opportunistic and can attack anyone.
I spray my blades with wintergreen flavored rubbing alcohol after a shave to rid them of bacteria. Someone told me once that bacteria actually decreases blade life, so that was my initial reasoning. But now I'll do it because the bacteria will eat my head as well as my blades.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »
Brown recluse spider bites have an effect that is very similar to this. Also, I don't know how many people in here watch the Ultimate Fighter series on Spike, a few seasons ago they had an outbreak of MRSA in the Vegas gym and (I think it was) Diego Sanchez got an infection in the knee which actually ate a hole in in his leg. I don't know many people who are healthier than Sanchez so I think the compromised immune system could exacerbate the problem but I believe that this kind of stuff is extremely opportunistic and can attack anyone.
I spray my blades with wintergreen flavored rubbing alcohol after a shave to rid them of bacteria. Someone told me once that bacteria actually decreases blade life, so that was my initial reasoning. But now I'll do it because the bacteria will eat my head as well as my blades.

There are some types of snake venom that is similar to the spider venom, pretty nasty :o

Offline sq

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »
Talk about something I never thought about before, but now that you mention it ....

Any thoughts on how the suggestion to store blades in olive oil would relate to this, my initial thought is that olive oil is organic and might create a growing medium for some horrible bug....

I sure hope someone can tell me I'm wrong, I was looking forward to saving some money

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »
Talk about something I never thought about before, but now that you mention it ....

Any thoughts on how the suggestion to store blades in olive oil would relate to this, my initial thought is that olive oil is organic and might create a growing medium for some horrible bug....

I sure hope someone can tell me I'm wrong, I was looking forward to saving some money

I don't know about germs, but I would change it every so often so it doesn't go rancid

Offline DogStar Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
    • DogStar Training Systems
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »

Don't use a lot and replace it every couple of weeks.
If the container is the right size/shape all you need is for the blades to be in it.
So I could see it only being a teaspoon or two at most.