Author Topic: Tips for growing a beard?  (Read 9059 times)

Offline asianman

• Sly Guy in Training
Tips for growing a beard?
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »
I'm not very hairy and the longest I've ever left my beard and mustache was about 2 weeks and it looked awful. Only thin hair grows around the chin and it doesn't extend to the sideburns so it doesn't look clean-cut. I don't even want a lengthy beard. I just want stubbles to show from my chin to the hairline.  Any tips non-hairy men on how to grow a decent stubbled beard?  I'm also Asian so perhaps that is why it could be harder.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: Tips for growing a beard?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:40 AM »
If you are under 25 you probably will still thicken up some more, but genetics play the biggest part, and it seems being Asian makes growing a beard even tougher, I have one mate who is 35 and is half Chinese half Caucasian, and he can hardly grow a thing, I can't think of too many friends who are of Asian descent that can grow a beard.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 05:56:46 AM »
Go to Alaska to grow a beard.  I did that in my 20's. Almost every man in Alaska has a beard whether it looks good or not.  It's a safe place to grow a beard.  If after a few month's you don't like it, you can shave it off, return home and nobody knows or cares about the difference. If you like it, bring it home.

If you can't do that, perhaps you can go to one of the tattoo shops that does 'hair' tattoos.  Have them tattoo hair stubble all over your chin and face, like they do up on top to make it look like you have hair. Little dark dots all over the place.  Never heard of it done before, but if you can do it on top, why not on the face/chin?

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »
Beards take time for most guys, 2 weeks is not enough.  More like 13 weeks.  Also, short stubble beards need to be very thick to look good.  Give yourself 13 weeks and then decide if it is thick enough and how to trim it.  It will look rough and scruffy for the first 8 to 10 weeks.
SlyBeard

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:18:41 AM »
Grow for or than two weeks but when it stats to feel scruffy clipper it. This will allow the thickness to catch up. the hair will grow at different levels in different areas, so let the slower bits catch up.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:17:50 AM »
Grow for or than two weeks but when it stats to feel scruffy clipper it. This will allow the thickness to catch up. the hair will grow at different levels in different areas, so let the slower bits catch up.

This

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
Start by not shaving...

Offline asianman

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:40 AM »
Start by not shaving...

Would it be the same if I use a trimmer everyday at 2-3mm vs not shave for 12 weeks and then trim to stubble length? I'm trying to avoid that thin patchy beard look that I get if I don't shave

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
That sounds like a good plan, Asianman.

Clipping it to a set length but not shaving is what BeardBald suggested.

I concur with both him and you, but you might need to give it more time than just twelve weeks.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
You need to decide what you want from the beard.  used to have a short beard and would clipper I every couple of weeks. however when I wanted to grow it longer I had to let it go through the scruffy, itchy stage that soon passes to get it how I wanted and so I could then get some shape cut into it

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 04:16:59 PM »
That sounds like a good plan, Asianman.

Clipping it to a set length but not shaving is what BeardBald suggested.

I concur with both him and you, but you might need to give it more time than just twelve weeks.

Sorry... I was just being a smartass!

But the reality is, you need to let it grow for a while, I would say a MONTH before touching it at all!

S.

Offline CTerry

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 12:49:42 AM »
Hey there! Start by not shaving! Beard are manly and no less than Godly. To grow a beard, you need to look out in the deep.  Just like poor diet and lifestyle can be one of the main reasons to stunt the beard hair growth. Starting with the basics, follow a proper diet, exercise regularly, this may increase the chances of growing a one naturally due to increased blood circulation, one may also ought to use beard growth products, home remedies like applying eucalyptus oil can result into beard hair growth, yet it is completely natural and effective. And, the most important thing is don’t get discouraged if your beard is not growing as quickly as you like, just follow some of these steps on how to grow a beard faster and stay committed to the process.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:58:17 PM by Tyler »

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »
Head shaving is straightforward. Bald head. Keep the look. In the end, nobdoy notices. By comparison, beards are hard work. You need to be patient and let them grow for at least month. And visit a barber to trim you beard. I have never trimmed or cut my own beard or moustache. Always leave it to a barber.

Offline Hobago

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »
Good tips! I found many useful info!

Enter your email address: