Author Topic: Aloe Vera all the way  (Read 16254 times)

Offline valldo

• Sly
Aloe Vera all the way
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:31 AM »
Hi,
i just thought I share my experience. Aloe Vera has become such a popular thing nowadays, most moisturizers, creams, lotions, etc are based on it or have some extracts of Aloe Vera. I have been using a few moisturizers which say there are 100% natural and so on.
My dad has been a huge Aloe Vera fan for years, yesterday he showed me his backyard where he has been growing Aloe Vera plants for a few months now. I took two of them and planted them in my own backyard yesterday. This morning I took a leaf cut it open like a sandwich and applied it on my freshly shaved dome hardcore style.
Knowing it is fresh, pure and comes from your own garden makes it feel very good, and indeed it is great. My dome is shining like hell this morning, and it calmed it down.
I will try to do this for a few weeks now, it may very well put the lotions and moisturizers away for good.
Anyone else tried this? If you get a chance to grab an Aloe Vera plant or leaf go for it

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Aloe Vera all the way
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:26:25 AM »
thanks for sharing!
I will try to grow some aloe vera plants, but not now, in the summertime.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »
Aloe vera promotes hair growth. Do you feel your hair grows faster when you apply fresh aloe vera?
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »
As I said, I will try this for a few weeks now. If pure, fresh Alow Vera  promotes hair growth or not, I do not know at this stage. But I have been using Aloe Vera Gels for some time now, and I cannot say that it does.
My hair though grows much faster in summer with the heat, I can feel the stubble by early afternoon, now in winter time I stay stubble free until late evening. May have to do with sweating

Slynito

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »
I've grown/used Aloe for many years. It has since frozen and has disappeared. But I used it for skin ailments and burns. After cutting a leaf and splitting it and using the sap/juice you can wrap it in foil or paper towel and store it awhile in the your fridge.

O0

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »
I do realize that my hair grows faster in the warm months, must be due to the pores being more open during these times. As for the fresh aloevera, it does give extra shine and soothes the scalp, also agree it has healing qualities for burns and skin irritation.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:05 AM »
Aloe Vera is excellent for the skin.  Here in South Africa we have a easy growing herb called Bulbinella,  It is excellent for healing almost any skin condition.  Here is a short article on this stuff.

Bulbinella is a herb that is indigenous to South Africa. The drought-resistant South African bulbinella herb has many medicinal uses, making it a useful plant indeed.
The leaves of the bulbinella are long and resemble chives or garlic chives. Although the leaves are long, they are also fairly thick and round and contain a natural healing sap. This sap contains glycoproteins, which have soothing and protective qualities.
The sap of a bulbinella leaf is clear and can be rubbed onto parts of the human body to ease the pain, irritation and itching of mosquito bites. Relief is almost immediate. If you have not taken measures to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes in the first place, the bulbinella herb is a handy herb to have around. It is very easy to extract sap from a bulbinella leaf. Just crush or break the leaf, and rub the entire crushed or broken leaf back and forth over the affected or painful area. Why sit scratching mosquito bites when you have a soothing gel "growing" nearby? It’s like having a pharmacy in your garden.
Bulbinella not only helps treat mosquito bites, but is also excellent for treating any area of the body stung by a bee, wasp or hornet. It grows quickly and easily, and should be kept close to the house, or even indoors near a sunny and breezy window. Although bulbinella is an excellent plant to add to a dry area or rockery anywhere in your garden, growing it near the house means that you can quickly dash out and break off a leaf when you need it. There’s no reason not to have bulbinella growing in more than just one spot, of course.

Plant the herb quite deep to avoid it growing off to one side or flopping over when the leaves are fully grown. The flower stems grow quite a bit taller than the rest of the plant, and this could cause the plant to topple over. It needs a deep and strong foundation to help prevent this.
The next time a loved one takes a tumble, gets a minor cut or bruise, or gets bitten by mosquitoes, use bulbinella!
Bulbinella is also excellent for helping to:
•   Slow down bleeding
•   Dry up acne
•   Soothe cold sores, chapped lips and cracked heels
•   Soothe sunburn
•   Get relief from eczema symptoms
Many South Africans call the plant “South Africa’s own Aloe Vera.”
If you like using natural herbs and other home remedies to treat your family’s aches and pains or bumps and scratches, bulbinella is a herb your family should not be without. This herb can save you money otherwise spent at the pharmacy, and even has attractive yellow or orange flowers. It’s a plant that not only brightens up an area, but that brightens up how you’re feeling too.
What a pity it is that bulbinella won’t grow nicely in your bathroom medicine cabinet, as it’s a handy all-in-one first-aid kit!
Image source: author's own photograph: A young bulbinella herb plant next to a paving brick.  The plant was not planted very deep, causing it to lean over as it grew taller.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
I know aloe is very beneficial in many ways, but it smells awful. I don't use it too much for that reason alone.  :P
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »

Aloe Vera is excellent for the skin.  Here in South Africa we have a easy growing herb called Bulbinella,  It is excellent for healing almost any skin condition.  Here is a short article on this stuff.

Bulbinella is a herb that is indigenous to South Africa. The drought-resistant South African bulbinella herb has many medicinal uses, making it a useful plant indeed.
The leaves of the bulbinella are long and resemble chives or garlic chives. Although the leaves are long, they are also fairly thick and round and contain a natural healing sap. This sap contains glycoproteins, which have soothing and protective qualities.
The sap of a bulbinella leaf is clear and can be rubbed onto parts of the human body to ease the pain, irritation and itching of mosquito bites. Relief is almost immediate. If you have not taken measures to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes in the first place, the bulbinella herb is a handy herb to have around. It is very easy to extract sap from a bulbinella leaf. Just crush or break the leaf, and rub the entire crushed or broken leaf back and forth over the affected or painful area. Why sit scratching mosquito bites when you have a soothing gel "growing" nearby? It’s like having a pharmacy in your garden.
Bulbinella not only helps treat mosquito bites, but is also excellent for treating any area of the body stung by a bee, wasp or hornet. It grows quickly and easily, and should be kept close to the house, or even indoors near a sunny and breezy window. Although bulbinella is an excellent plant to add to a dry area or rockery anywhere in your garden, growing it near the house means that you can quickly dash out and break off a leaf when you need it. There’s no reason not to have bulbinella growing in more than just one spot, of course.

Plant the herb quite deep to avoid it growing off to one side or flopping over when the leaves are fully grown. The flower stems grow quite a bit taller than the rest of the plant, and this could cause the plant to topple over. It needs a deep and strong foundation to help prevent this.
The next time a loved one takes a tumble, gets a minor cut or bruise, or gets bitten by mosquitoes, use bulbinella!
Bulbinella is also excellent for helping to:
•   Slow down bleeding
•   Dry up acne
•   Soothe cold sores, chapped lips and cracked heels
•   Soothe sunburn
•   Get relief from eczema symptoms
Many South Africans call the plant “South Africa’s own Aloe Vera.”
If you like using natural herbs and other home remedies to treat your family’s aches and pains or bumps and scratches, bulbinella is a herb your family should not be without. This herb can save you money otherwise spent at the pharmacy, and even has attractive yellow or orange flowers. It’s a plant that not only brightens up an area, but that brightens up how you’re feeling too.
What a pity it is that bulbinella won’t grow nicely in your bathroom medicine cabinet, as it’s a handy all-in-one first-aid kit!
Image source: author's own photograph: A young bulbinella herb plant next to a paving brick.  The plant was not planted very deep, causing it to lean over as it grew taller.

Good to know, thanks.
Do you cut it open like an Aloe leaf and actually get a gel out of it, or what is it exactly?
I'll be in South Africa soon, anywhere this can be bought, or do you know any real naturally ready to apply gel sold in SA?
Thanks

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »
I know aloe is very beneficial in many ways, but it smells awful. I don't use it too much for that reason alone.  :P

I do not find it to smell bad, but that's a personal choice and preference. Healing properties indeed are unquestionable

Offline G

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly since 6/1/2012
    • The Philosophers' Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »

I do not find it to smell bad, but that's a personal choice and preference. Healing properties indeed are unquestionable

When it's fresh it's ok just don't let it get rancid.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:47 AM »
I know aloe is very beneficial in many ways, but it smells awful. I don't use it too much for that reason alone.  :P

When it's fresh it's ok just don't let it get rancid.

I don't even want to imagine rancid.
The wife was actually heating some up on her comal last night (Part of her back treatment. Cooked aloe leaves covered with epsom salt, applied to the skin), and it made the house smell funky. Not as bad as rancid, though.  :P
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:29:26 AM »
Waine, thanks for the info about bulbinella. I've had minor skin issues for years but I don't like using chemicals or artificial products on my skin. Most of the ones I've tried have never been helpful anyway. I'll  definitely be looking for bulbinella.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 01:54:57 AM »
Aloe vera is useful iv got some of it growing in my conservatory.Not sure that I would consume the juice from the leaves though..anecdotally its supposed to begood for IBS ...not seen any evidence base research on that, i have tried it for sun burn and it works but i prefer lavender oil. Not sur I would put that on my scalp

theman

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »
I used to have a plant around and burnt myself a time or two.  It sure does help the burn if you get ion on right away.