Author Topic: Have you ever thought why you don't like "horseshoe bald"?  (Read 11970 times)

Offline Redgrave101

• Sly
Re: Have you ever thought why you don't like "horseshoe bald"?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 03:45:20 AM »
I think you may be right. A white going shaving his head was practically taboo back in the day. Now people are coming to terms with it and many are actually embracing it
Could the days of rugs and plugs be be comming to an end? I for one hope so.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
I don't really have an adversion to the Horseshoe look.  The combover-yes.  My thought is that if a person wants to wear his hair a certain way, it's his business.  Granted, it may look like crap, but it is that persons choice.  I have chosen the sly look as it best suits my way of thinking.  I personally don't care what a person thinks or dislikes about my appearance.  I'm always neat and clean.  My slyness signafies this.  Therefore, I'm happy.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
I don't really have an adversion to the Horseshoe look.  The combover-yes. 

My belief is that with the longer horseshoe comes the temptation to flap the hair over the top of the head in an attempt to reduce glare.
When I think of the horseshoe, though, I think of my grandfather. Of all the men I've ever known I respect him the very most. If I needed to revert to the horseshoe, remembering that my grandfather had one, I would consider myself to be in very good company.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline marcx

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 01:03:33 PM »
For me the issue is not so much the horshoe because as mentioned a buzzed horshoe looks fine--but my mpb is a very irregular pattern--not sure if that is beacause it is still in progress or what but the look is very uneven once it grows in a bit....

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »
I actually think if I keep it at a #1 buzz cut, it looks good on me. However, I get complete relief from seborrheic dermatitis by shaving my head.

No hair, no problem.  O:O

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline BikerDave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
I just don't like the look. Most of my life I had shoulder length, curly hair. The women loved it.  :@`They would always ask me if I had it permed, LOL. By the time I hit 50, I couldn't even grow a decent crew cut so I shaved it all off. I have several friends sporting the 'reverse Mohawk' and that's fine for them. Not on this head.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:10:33 AM by BikerDave »
If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline Glottonym

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »
[Old topic, but interesting.]

There are aesthetic reasons: No hair all around seems to highlight the shape of your head, which is or at least can be beautiful. Especially if the hair at the back and on the sides of your head is relatively long and clearly visible, it changes the shape of the head at least in the viewer's perception, making it broader.

But most of the reasons are connected with the fact that the horseshoe clearly marks baldness as MPB and thus as not a stylistic choice. It is therefore associated with (old) age. And if you start noticing that you are losing your hair, this is the worst-case scenario for you (exemplified by your dad, your granddad, your uncle, anybody whom you might think very old and very uncool at the time).

The odd thing with me is that I tested a full shave, but I was not really happy with it and did not feel to comfortable with it aesthetically. Now there is a horseshoe, though cut to 3-4mm, with a relatively big shiny top. If you had told me that this it what I would look like thirty years ago (with relatively thick glasses as a further element dreaded in my early teens), I would have collapsed. But oddly enough, I'm fine now. Perhaps it was the invention of the digital camera, where you can take a thousand pictures of your head and then find four that you like and you decide to take these as the starting point for the rest of your life.

Enter your email address: