Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741890 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1785 on: November 26, 2016, 05:52:17 AM »
@120inna55: you seem to be one of our most veteran de head shavers and have some of the coolest gear. Would you consider doing a SOTD video sometime?  I feel like we all could learn something from your technique and practices.

Same statement to Warhawk
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1786 on: November 26, 2016, 06:03:51 AM »
@120inna55: you seem to be one of our most veteran de head shavers and have some of the coolest gear. Would you consider doing a SOTD video sometime?  I feel like we all could learn something from your technique and practices.

Same statement to Warhawk
I assume Warhawk is busy, because I haven't heard from him lately.  He does have a channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFMkE9PQZTcKrD5TTb3uxhw

Shaving videos are not my style.  There are plenty out there that do a much better job than I would do.  I'll stick to photos and the occasional review.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1787 on: November 27, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
L&L Grooming - Darkfall
Ever-Ready 100T | TGN Finest
Star 1912 | Gem PTFE (1)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1788 on: November 27, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »
I'll have a '53 gillette 40s style super speed and a gold gillette ball tip tech (unknown date) coming in a few days!

Today's SOTD:

Dorco prime tto, personna blue, omega synthetic brush, proraso green cream, clear head + proraso green splash

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1789 on: December 02, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »
12/2 SOTD

37c, gillette silver blue, barbasol extra moisturizing, clear head + proraso green splash

Quick, easy, comfortable, awesome. Be it my head or face (when I shave my face), the 37c + gillette silver blue combo just rocks consistenly every time

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1790 on: December 02, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
Barrister and Mann - Bay Rum
Island Bladeworks - "Bullwinkle" | TGN Finest
Gem Damaskeene | Gem PTFE (1)
Derby City Chop Shop - Winter Reserve

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1791 on: December 03, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
Gillette gold ball tip tech, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette foamy menthol, proraso green splash

Best damn head shave I've ever had.  This tech is making me hang up the 37c for a little.  Ive also got a 60s travel tech and a 53 super speed to play with as well but I'm going to stick to the tech for awhile

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1792 on: December 03, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
Barrister and Mann - First Snow
Mongoose B3 | Kai Captain Titan Mild (1) | Triad 316 Stainless Rolling Hex
Coffee of the night: Hunter Bay's "Praying Monk" (Ethiopian blend)

I finally got to try B&M's "First Snow".  I have to say, when I first heard the description of it, I thought, "leather and fir? okay, I'll bite, but who the hell puts menthol in a Winter seasonal?"  I get it.

The clear-bottom jar contrasting with the black lid is a very nice touch.  The label artwork is also perfect as one can expect from B&M.  The scent off the dry puck is an obnoxious menthol and crushed fir needle assault.  Seriously, it made my eyes water.  Fortunately, the lathered soap is nothing like that.  The "fragrance" of the menthol, when the soap is lathered, accentuates the fir scent perfectly.  Being a shower shaver, I believe I have an advantage in fully appreciating First Snow in that the steam carries the fragrance as you inhale.  The menthol quite accurately approximates the gentle tingling sensation you feel just inside your nostrils as you take in the crisp winter air.  This was a very good use of menthol, and if not for the fragrance, I might not have noticed it on my skin.  The fir is present at the same time, and it's a very accurate one at that.  I kept looking for the leather, but I really didn't notice it until the first pass was almost over, but then it made a clear presence although remaining at the base.

The performance of the Glissant base remains my benchmark.  It lathered easily with my new TGN finest knot in the well-balanced Island Bladeworks' "Bullwinkle" moose antler handle.

It was a very enjoyable three-pass head and face shower shave with the Mongoose that, for some reason, I've been neglecting lately.  I don't have another razor that can do for my neck what the Mongoose can.

I finished with the matching First Snow splash, that still only had a hint of menthol, and I did not detect any lingering cooling beyond what I'd normally get with any other alcohol splash.  The coniferous fragrance was an excellent continuation from the soap, but the dry-down was a pleasant surprise of a stepped-up leather presence.  It's a clean, nubuck leather fragrance that reminds me of a new pair of work gloves.

First Snow, while marketed as a Winter seasonal, is appropriate year round.  Additionally, in terms of strength, it's one of the lighter Barrister and Mann offerings, so it's unlikely to interfere with any cologne you may desire.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1793 on: December 08, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
Barrister and Mann - First Snow
Gillette Pre-War Tech | Feather New Hi-Stainless

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #1794 on: December 09, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
'66 travel tech, Astra sp, proraso green cream + splash

Recently went back to trying the Astra sp blades ans they have been blowing my mind.  They respond just like silver blues in my slant and paired with a tech I've been getting dream shaves.  Im ordering 100 right now

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #1795 on: December 09, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
Been awhile since I posted my SOTD. Today's was Gillette Fatboy with Merkur Super blade, Soap of the Gods' WhatTZzzup Shaving Soap and Shaving Oil, and Semogue Superior Boar Bristle brush.

The WhatTZzzup is great, however I may skip the oil since I'm not getting as close of a shave as I'm used to. The soap is made by Van Yulay out of NC. They're an independent company that you can find via Amazon or on their site.
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1796 on: December 09, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »
Been awhile since I posted my SOTD. Today's was Gillette Fatboy with Merkur Super blade, Soap of the Gods' WhatTZzzup Shaving Soap and Shaving Oil, and Semogue Superior Boar Bristle brush.

The WhatTZzzup is great, however I may skip the oil since I'm not getting as close of a shave as I'm used to. The soap is made by Van Yulay out of NC. They're an independent company that you can find via Amazon or on their site.
Van Yulay is in my top 5 easily.  Excellent performance.  As far as fragrance, the newer version of Puros La Habana is probably my favorite with Achilles pulling in a close second.  Rack 'Em Up is close to the top as well. 

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #1797 on: December 09, 2016, 09:16:06 PM »
You know? I thought all this time I was shaving with the Gillette "Fatboy", which came out in 1958-1961.  I just found out-thanx to Badger and Blade-that I have the Gillette "Slim" Adjustable, which came out in 1967.  Regardless, it's a study razor that's part of my arsenal!
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1798 on: December 09, 2016, 09:41:26 PM »
You know? I thought all this time I was shaving with the Gillette "Fatboy", which came out in 1958-1961.  I just found out-thanx to Badger and Blade-that I have the Gillette "Slim" Adjustable, which came out in 1967.  Regardless, it's a study razor that's part of my arsenal!
A common mistake.  Based on popular opinion, your Slim is probably the superior shaver.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1799 on: December 12, 2016, 05:03:20 AM »
Van Yulay - Club Humidor
Gillette Pre-War Tech | Feather New Hi-Stainless (1)

"Club Humidor" doesn't smell like a humidor, but rather the classy fragrance of a man who would frequent one.  While there are some aromatic cedar and cured tobacco notes, there's enough citronella, leather, and amber to round out this cologne-type scent.  If you enjoy the this fragrance, like I do, you'll want to pick up the matching splash which has nice staying power for an alcohol-free splash.