Author Topic: Skin irritation - some purple spots.  (Read 4079 times)

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
Skin irritation - some purple spots.
« on: December 20, 2016, 05:10:30 AM »
I've been shaving my head everyday since Nov. 29th...  I just noticed last night, the back of my head has some irritation and/or purple blotchy-ness.   It's not terrible but noticeable.  I've made efforts to get sun on my new baldness (sides and top look great) but not sure what to make of it in the back. 

Having read some posts, I'm thinking of shaving with the grain for awhile, in an effort to see if that helps.   I always use plenty of shaving cream and warm water - as I'm typically in the shower.  I was also thinking of rinsing with cold water from now on.  After my head dries - I cover it with some aloe based lotion.

Ideas and suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance,

-Theo

Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: Skin irritation - some purple spots.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »
I have seen this on a lot of sly guys but not exactly sure what the cause is.  I don't have that issue but I will get occasional minor bumps on the nape of my neck when I'm in a rush and use a cartridge razor and not one of my DEs.  I agree that maybe against the grain passes may be causeing some irritation but I also need to be smooth haha and going atg is the only way to keep my full head of hair... Well, not there.

Maybe go into a little more detail about your routine?  Without knowing this part something's I could suggest is: add an exfoliating scrub to your routine once every few days pre-shave (headshed by headblade is great, st Ives apricot scrub is another popular one as is the walmart/equate knock off brand, on a budget get a $1 shower loofa and scrub your head with your current face wash or even bar soap), try using a proper brush and cream/soap because it adds a minor exfoliating action while really workin the lather under your hair, try to shave everyday (may sound counter intuitive towards irritation but a lot of is here find shaving daily helps), maybe try a different razor.  Those could be micro cuts over bumps/ingrowns which is why they are purple ish.

Something else you could try is before you try anything listed above (especially shaving everyday) is to give yourself a break for a few days to let it clear up and go back to a baseline. I use de razors about 60% of the time and my atx about 40%, the DEs cause 0 irritation but I'll get occasional bumps from the atx (cartridges in general) and when that happens I need to give it a day to clear up.  I will use clear head by headblade when this happens and it goes right away, that stuff is amazing but a little pricey.

One thing to do immediately: go out and get a cheap bottle of witch hazel and a small travel sized mister spray bottle.  Everytime you shave apply witch hazel to your head post-cold rinse but pre-aftershave.  It's cheap, easy, and effective.  That alone will help more then you think.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 07:47:53 AM »
Thanks for the input... I'll buy & try the witch hazel tonight, per your suggestion.

My routine:  Hot shower, rinse head thoroughly, apply shaving cream, shave (against the grain - I like nothing to remain).   I maybe shaving the same spot too many times...  just in an effort to get it all.   Perhaps I could  change that up too.  I've never rinsed with cold water - so I will try that tonight.   I don't think it's bad enough to stop shaving for a few days...  I like it low.  :)

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:09:21 AM »
Witch Hazel is great stuff for sure!!  It helps with skin irritation and takes the burn away if you do shave a little hard or go over the same place several times.  It's cheap and lasts a long time!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:29 AM »
Try rubbing your head with an ice cube after shaving.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:42:15 AM »
So last night, I washed my head, applied cream, shaved 'with' the grain, rinsed with cold water - and it looks like that has done the trick!   Thanks for the help guys...  Applied lotion too.  Aloe.   Shaving with the grain was actually easier and required less passes...

-T

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »
So last night, I washed my head, applied cream, shaved 'with' the grain, rinsed with cold water - and it looks like that has done the trick!   Thanks for the help guys...  Applied lotion too.  Aloe.   Shaving with the grain was actually easier and required less passes...

-T
I also don't shave the back ATG and find it works for me .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
I do a cold water rinse, followed by Thayers witch hazel.  I  generally do one pass with the grain and one against.  Been doing that since November with no problems. 
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.

triplen

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
I get those purple or dark spots as well. In fact I have quite a few regrettably. I noticed this from shaving to often or too much in one spot. For me it's because due to intense desire to always have smooth head I shave often more than twice a day. This is why I am asking opinion on amp if it will help my situation.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »
After 12 + years of shaving I have found that shaving every 3 days is fine for me.  Admittedly I am retired so don't go to  an office.  After 3 days there is actual hair for the razor to grab hold of.  More than once a day sounds excessive.
Roger

Enter your email address: