Author Topic: Tattoo Feedback  (Read 13597 times)

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
Tattoo Feedback
« on: November 13, 2015, 06:00:55 AM »
In January I am scheduled to continue a tattoo that will give me a 3/4 sleeve. A friend of mine told me I better think it over because I will be limited in my dress at work, and other social situations which is true, but I don't really care. My counter is that it won't make me less of a father or husband or person and that is all that matters. I've always been the type of person that does my own thing, but sometimes that is not always the best choice. Does anyone here have a sleeve and if so, do people/family treat you in a negative for it, or was it kind ok like shaving the head... a topic of conversation for a while and then everyone moved on? Does anyone wish they hadn't done it?

Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
Re: Tattoo Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 06:54:51 AM »
 I was faced with a similar decision.

I enjoy my body art very much, but my work environment expects a 'professional' appearance.  I have upper chest/back and half sleeves that stop at the length of a short sleeve shirt. 

My kids think the ink is awesome, my mom hates it, and everyone else is fairly indifferent.  Just like you closed with, it was a hot topic for a while, but then the subject moved on.

Other considerations are what will you be placing, will it be names, phrases, animals, motorcycles, sugar skulls, monsters, strippers on poles?

Like having a bald head, I am fairly biased when it comes to this subject, when I can retire, or be self employed, I will most likely go for full upper body ink (I rarely wear shorts so it would be a waste to do legs), so all you will get from me is a go for it if it doesn't interfere with your way of living and making a living, family and friends will come around.

Any theme you going with?
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »
I've got a stained glass window that stops at the t-shirt line and my plan is to get some lilies, violets, and whatever other flowers the artist thinks would look good. Not the Japanese style though, as it wouldn't fit the window motif. The great thing about trusting the artist is that I give her a general idea and I know that she will come up with something awesome.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
That sounds pretty un-offensive for anyone to see...now that it isn't a pole dancer, or stripper, you get the full sleeve vote from me!

How cool would that be to have some of the flowers showing at the end of your cuff, and someone says "oh, you have a tattoo?" then roll up the sleeve  :o

I like the shock and awe when I go to a semi crowded pool...mild mannered dad (when I had hair) of 7 kids...until he (me) pulls the shirt off... :D...it never gets old....

Story/pics here:  http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=26562.0
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:36:34 AM by john.peachie »
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
Unfortunately, people are judgmental about sleeves.  Some close friends of ours came to a BBQ we had in the summer and made very derogatory comments about our next door neighbor who has full sleeves on both arms.  My neighbor is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  He's friendly, helpful and kind, yet our friends judged him solely on the fact that he has tattooed arms.  Says more about their narrow-mindedness than it does about my neighbor.

Despite all of that, I say go for the sleeve if that's what you want.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
One of my arms is completely sleeved and the other is a half-sleeve.
I work in a white collar office, in a conservative field. When it's hot out, I roll my shirtsleeves up; no problem. I work in my office with short sleeves, no problem. Of course, I only let my ink show after I showed them how competently I could perform my job and how dependable I am!
If I'm ever concerned about how I might be perceived (like at parent-teacher conferences or when I first met my wife's family, etc.), I wear a long-sleeve shirt. It's no big deal. For the rest of my time, I absolute love having very many tattoos. I'm true to myself, and I make small sacrifices in certain situations.
I think tattoos are so common now that fewer assumptions are made about the heavily-tattooed than ever before. Will you still get some folks assuming you're low class? Of course. But you can't live your life in fear of them and their thoughts.

Offline VOT

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
Yes you will get judged you have to decide whether you care. If you have the ability to cover up it shouldn't be a major issue. I have one half sleeve, one full sleeve and half my back. Cover up at work, uncovered outside of work. If people want to judge then so be it

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »
In January I am scheduled to continue a tattoo that will give me a 3/4 sleeve. A friend of mine told me I better think it over because I will be limited in my dress at work, and other social situations which is true, but I don't really care. My counter is that it won't make me less of a father or husband or person and that is all that matters. I've always been the type of person that does my own thing, but sometimes that is not always the best choice. Does anyone here have a sleeve and if so, do people/family treat you in a negative for it, or was it kind ok like shaving the head... a topic of conversation for a while and then everyone moved on? Does anyone wish they hadn't done it?

I didn't start a serious tattoo collection until I was 58!  Now I am 61 and I have several, including a quarter/half sleeve on my right arm which stops just below T-shirt length and I just completed a full back tattoo on Wednesday!

My Mother cried when she found out about the first tattoo and I haven't told her about the others.  I have also garnered stern disapproval from the few friends that know about them.

I work in a professional setting and it would be highly unacceptable for me to allow my tattoos to show at work

I have one small tattoo that I do regret and I have already had 8 laser treatments to lighten it up sufficiently to be covered up.

JBrit, if memory serves me, aren't you a Pastor or something?  If so, I need not remind you that people use their pastors as dart boards to find the least little flaw that they can point to and say; "Ah Ha! and then criticize you behind your back.  If I were a pastor I definitely would not get any visible tattoos, (unless 90% of my congregation were bikers)!

Having said all of that,  I hope to begin the quarter/half sleeve on my left arm after the holidays!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 05:05:50 AM »
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=26457.msg354481#msg354481

This is a link to JBrit25's 'before' picture which shows the stained glass tattoo. Really nice looking piece. 

I knew a guy who had a large rose tattooed on his inner forearm.  I though it looked really nice.  It was probably 4 inches in diameter.  Flowers down the arm would look nice, too! 

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 06:11:13 AM »
I am a minister but our church doesn't really care about tattoos. That's a big plus when I am considering this. It's my in laws that I am most worried about.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:50:33 AM »
The business manager at my chiropractor's office has an expanding collection of tattoos. On his right shoulder/arm is a 7 wonders of the world montage.  It comes down just above the elbow. When his mother saw him (in a short sleeved shirt), she said, "Does that shirt sleeve go down any further?  ... Well, it should!"

He likes the tattoos. She does not approve, but at 34 this is not her decision. He likes them and will probably get more. 

It does not stick out much below a short sleeved shirt and depends upon the shirt.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 06:15:23 AM »

Finished the 3/4 sleeve. Finally...
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 06:47:09 AM »
Wow, awesome work!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 09:05:10 AM »
Nice! Can we see more of it?

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »