Author Topic: Show Us Your Glasses!!!  (Read 54197 times)

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Re: Show Us Your Glasses!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
Looks great, Mr Jules!

Thank you.

Is that a new profile picture ?

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2016, 11:10:04 AM »
Looks great, Mr Jules!

Thank you.

Is that a new profile picture ?

Yes, I finally made it to the beach last month. 

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »
Just curious, how many who wear glasses regularly have gone over to transitions?  I've been wearing them for about 3 years now.  I got tired of carrying multiple pairs around, and the frames I like wouldn't work with clip ons.  It would be nice if they'd figure out a way to get them to tint more behind the windshield of a car, but otherwise, I really enjoy them.

My varifocals have transition lenses. And been wearing transition lenses since going "full time" 6 years ago.  Like you, I really enjoy them, too. You get welcome protection from the sunshine, without doing anything ! And I like the intermediate tint, between 0% and 100% transition, which is good for cloudy days.

I agree with you about their limitations when you are in a car. But I read there are new transitions that work indoors, too. When you're outside and go indoors, they take a while to adjust. So for several minutes, you look like you're wearing sunglasses inside !

Still, I'll always choose transitions and recommend them to anyone.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2016, 08:13:52 PM »
I'm also trying to decide if I want to continu e wearing contacts.  I can see better with my glasses and my eyes feel better whenever I take a break from contacts but glasses have their own sets of disadvantages.   Decisions, decisions ...   :-\

From memory, seem to remember that you have prescription for distance and reading. Have you considered progressive lenses (otherwise known as varifocals) ?

I do have progressive lenses.  I have an eye exam scheduled for this Frisay. Hoping to get some new frames but I have a hard time these days finding anything that I like.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
New frames.  Not sure if I like them.  :-\

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »
Glasses look fine Razor .  Takes a week or so to adjust for new glasses. O0
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
Concerning Transition lenses ( the ones that get dark in the sunshine), Different brands change at different rates and end up at different darknesses (full dark).  I usually buy me glasses online from ZenniOptical.com.  They have a 'house brand' transition lens and "Transitions".

While they say the Transitions brand get a little darker and change a little faster, I'd say the brand name Transitions turn A LOT darker and a LOT faster. (both directions). I've tried both. The house brand was not worth it. Did not get dark enough and did not switch fast enough. It's worth the extra price.

I'm not aware of them switching from light to dark, but I'm not squinting outside because of them.

For driving, I buy single vision 80% tint lenses.  They are darker than the Transitions. great for longer trips or out in the snow/sand/water.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2016, 06:20:49 PM »
I also find that transitions in warm weather hardly change at all. But in cold weather get real dark. I've been using flip up clip ons lately. When driving I can switch back a forth in a second.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »
I also find that transitions in warm weather hardly change at all. But in cold weather get real dark. I've been using flip up clip ons lately. When driving I can switch back a forth in a second.

Apparently there is a new kind of Transition lenses that will get dark in the car.  The inability to turn dark in the car was always the biggest drawback, IMO.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2016, 10:50:20 AM »

Apparently there is a new kind of Transition lenses that will get dark in the car.  The inability to turn dark in the car was always the biggest drawback, IMO.

As far as I know, the XtraActive are the only ones that tint in the car.  That's what I have.  It's still pretty minimal, but it's something.  My optician suggested a new type that gets both lighter and darker in normal conditions, but they have almost no tint behind a windshield.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:54 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Transitions lenses and computer work in an office setting? I've been experiencing some eye strain lately.  Wondering if Transitions would tint just enough to reduce glare from the screen.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2016, 08:09:54 AM »
I don't have transitions lens but I do have an anti-glare coat on my lens that does the trick for me.  I also work in an office setting. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:12:06 AM by dshupe »

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with Transitions lenses and computer work in an office setting? I've been experiencing some eye strain lately.  Wondering if Transitions would tint just enough to reduce glare from the screen.

Transitions still work off of UV, so they won't tint indoors.  Even if you're near a window, most have anti-UV coatings now, which is why they don't tint much in the car.  The best you can hope for is the tiny bit of base tint that transitions tend to develop over time.  It isn't enough to make any noticable difference, and it takes mine about a year before it really sets in anyway.

I agree that Anti-Glare would be more beneficial.  There are usually multiple anti-glare options.  Make sure you opt for the best of them, both front and back.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »
I don't have transitions lens but I do have an anti-glare coat on my lens that does the trick for me.  I also work in an office setting.

I've got the anti-glare coating. Not sure if the eye strain is due to glare or something else.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »
I often get a separate single vision lens pair of glasses for computer work in the office. Just the UV coating.

Being Far Sighted, I don't see any glare in my glasses. Everything up close is blurry.  For those near-sighted, you CAN see things clearly up close and are more likely to be bothered by reflections in the lenses and want an anti-reflective coating.

When I had bi and tri focals, I never saw the lines. They are up close and just burr out of sight.  But near sighted people may find them really a bother! I'd think the same applies to reflections in the lenses.

Enter your email address: