Author Topic: best electric razor for shaving my head  (Read 162031 times)

Offline spiders96

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Newly shaved...
    • My CaringBridge Site
Re: best electric razor for shaving my head
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:06 PM »
Phigg,

Thanks for the reinforcement of the need to be sensitive to the pressure applied.  In your opinion, is the S4 worth the cost?  It actually costs more than some of the electrics.  I thought I'd just start with the sport version.  I'm a total newbie here.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »
There is nothing wrong with starting with the sports model. If you don't like it you have not spent that much. You can always up grade. But myself I might start with the Mark 3. Less chance of cutting yourself.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »
ahem... I hate to say it but I think we have another guy playing out a fantasy like Timbo1941....

Lets wait and see. :-\

Offline phigg

• Sly
  • Show me some skin!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
Phigg,

Thanks for the reinforcement of the need to be sensitive to the pressure applied.  In your opinion, is the S4 worth the cost?  It actually costs more than some of the electrics.  I thought I'd just start with the sport version.  I'm a total newbie here.

I don't honestly know, I don't have one myself.  I'm going by what I've read here from other's reviews and opinions.   Personally I think $100 for it is nuts.  I'd just as soon drill out a cavity in my regular HB and insert/glue a small, round, lead fishing sinker in there! That might work as well, lol.
But you definitely don't want to push down on the thing yourself, it's too hard to monitor the pressure with the sensitivity and consistency required to be safe.
Hair today.. gone tomorrow!  (sorry)

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
I started with the Sport and switched to the S4 Shadow when it was introduced.
IMHO it is worth the money, because it feels better to shave with it. Kinda like tool vs. toy. Plus, it seems to be very durable.

It's a little bit similar to using a Bic ballpoint pen vs. say a Caran d'Ache. There's a good amount of self-pampering involved.  :)

Since the HeadBlade isn't for everyone, I recommend to start with the Sport.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline spiders96

• Newly shaved...
    • My CaringBridge Site
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
I spoke with the radiologist yesterday and today and asked when my hair would start falling out.  He said it would happen any day, and it started this evening.  Big clumps of hair started coming out, so I went to the barber and had it all taken off.

It feels kind of odd to me.  He used a foil electric razor to cut it down to the skin instead of a blade.  He said it would be less likely to break-out.  Then he put a hot towel over it, which felt great!

Not exactly sly, but that's not why I had to do it.  I was surprised to see that the scar on top of my head really isn't too bad.  It's just a line.  I thought it would be frankenstein-ish, but it's not.  I'm glad about that.  It means I don't have to wear a hat all the time.

I'm still wondering about the comment about this being a fantasy for me.  What's that all about?  I don't get it...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:12:37 PM by spiders96 »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »
Spider,the sly look is fine on you.We had a few people that keep posting every day saying how they were going to shave. They would ask all kinds of questions  and say why they were going to shave and go on and on. In the end they just stopped posting and nothing else was heard from the again.That's the fantasy that was mentioned.
The best of luck with your treatments.
ps:  I have had minor surgery for melanoma. O0
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:51:02 PM by Magoo »

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »
Good luck with your treatments dude. Don't sweat the fantasy business. He probably was thinking of something else.

Offline spiders96

• Newly shaved...
    • My CaringBridge Site
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 02:56:33 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the tips and ideas.  I feel great, and I'm proud to be bald!   O:O

I'm sporting my new skin with pride.  The barber told me that a little time in the sun will balance the coloring on my head.  I'll go for a bike ride tomorrow for that, but I won't stay out too long.  I think it would burn quickly, and that would surely hurt.

I was lucky to find that the scar on my head is hardly noticeable.  The doctor who stapled me up was very good to me cosmetically.  I thought it would be freaky, but it's not.  I don't have to wear a head covering, which is nice for me.  I'm going to enjoy my new look and make the most of it.

My son shaved his head 2 weeks ago and sent me a text with a picture.  He's in 9th grade and said he wanted to do it first so that I would know that I could do it too.  He told me last night that he'll keep it that way as long as I do.  I'm the luckiest dad alive.

Best wishes for good health, peace, and happiness to everyone here.  Keep smiling, and smell every rose that you pass.  That's my new take on life.  :)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:01:58 AM by spiders96 »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
You son sounds like a great kid. O0

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »
Hang in there, Joe.  Sounds like you have a good plan!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jason1111

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
Is this head blade s4 still the best electric out there for shaving your head? I'm looking to find a razor, but I have one potential problem: I don't live in the US. I live in Taiwan. So one main concern for me would be replacement razors and perhaps head shaving products.

Hope it's cool bumping this topic. My question seemed to be in line so I didn't want to start a new one.

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
Is this head blade s4 still the best electric out there for shaving your head? I'm looking to find a razor, but I have one potential problem: I don't live in the US. I live in Taiwan. So one main concern for me would be replacement razors and perhaps head shaving products.

Hope it's cool bumping this topic. My question seemed to be in line so I didn't want to start a new one.

the headblade s4 is actually a normal razor, it's not electric. the Panasonic Pro-Curve ES-LA63-S is one of the best, or so i've been told, as far as electric goes, i use the conair cleanhead myself, it does an okay job.

Offline Jason1111

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
Been doing some searching on the web about the la63 and a few others trying to figure out my best options. The last time I had an electric was 5 years ago. It was a norelco and worked great for my face. I tried to shave my head with it once and it sucked. Have norelcos improved since then or do all rotatable head razors have dismal results when shaving heads. I did find a la93 listed as well. Are all the la series good?

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
Haven't heard anything on the norelcos, la63 and there's another one by panasonic that's really good , off hand unsure.