Author Topic: Anything to help dull the shine  (Read 17093 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Anything to help dull the shine
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
A quick scan of the forum showed tons of tips on how to increase the shine so my question goes a little against the grain. Is there anything out there that helps take the shine down a few levels? Of course I know that there is HeadLube Matte. Does that help reduce a naturally shinny head? Any thoughts or advice?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
Re: Anything to help dull the shine
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:35:53 AM »
Doug,

Found this post made by Saintc in 12/2009 regarding ways to tone down the sly shine.

Hope this helps.

You can always GOOGLE, YAHOO, or BING for more answers!!

"The oil is from the sebaceous gland.  According to The Columbia Encyclopedia, the sebaceous gland secretes an oily substance called sebum. Sebaceous glands are primarily found in association with hair follicles but also occur in hairless areas of the skin. Sebum is a mixture of fat and the debris of dead fat-producing cells. These cells are constantly replaced by new growth at the base of the glands. Generally the sebum is deposited on the hairs inside the follicles and is brought up to the surface of the skin along the hair shaft. In hairless areas, the sebum surfaces through ducts. Sebum lubricates and protects the hair and skin and prevents drying and irritation of membranes. Excessive secretions of sebum may be related to certain forms of baldness.
So, the oil is produced by the glands, and without hair to conceal or otherwise keep it from being noticed you get an "oily" scalp, whether or not it's naturally shiny. 
I found by accident that Gold Bond lotion seems to retard my natural shine--I put it on in the morning before I go to the gym after washing my face and scalp and no shine.  Another moisturizer that seems to do the same thing is Curel, a odorless concoction that's used in hospitals to preserve skin texture.  Finally, Banana Boat Sunscreen also retards shiny.  All of these however, don't stop the glands from pumping oil to the surface.  That's where Baldwipes, or other similar products are good. 
I don't have a problem w/ shine, I like it, but maybe this iwll be of some help to those of us who don't like to "be a light" to the world."   - Saintc

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
Thanks for the search results Cap'n!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Hairlessdoc

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
Hey Doug! I am with you here 100%. I have been looking to not be shinny at all or oily. I know that a darker dome is going to reflect less light but besides this I have no idea. Have you gotten any progress on this? I would really appreciate some help... thanks!!

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:21:15 PM by Tyler »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
Well, the ladies, when trying to dull the shine on the face, were fond of a dusting of face powder (touch o' talc). 

A whisper of baby powder would probably do the work the XX crowd was after effectuating.

But what's wrong with shine, hmm?

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
I like the Matte look too! Headlube Matte does ok until I start sweating :(

I have found that a quick wipe with a baby wipe dulls it back down. Lucky my daughter is still only little and my supply of baby wipes in endless!
Lynchy

Offline tallswimmer62

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
Hey Doug! I am with you here 100%. I have been looking to not be shinny at all or oily. I know that a darker dome is going to reflect less light but besides this I have no idea. Have you gotten any progress on this? I would really appreciate some help... thanks!!
Doug, I sweat a lot and have to mop my head a lot. Guess it's in my bald genes. Like you I have yet to find anything to help with the matte look.  I'm now resolved just to accept my megawatt shine.  It's just part of who I am.  Once tried baby powder: it got weird looking really fast!! Enuf for me.  Namaste

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
Doug, I sweat a lot and have to mop my head a lot. Guess it's in my bald genes. Like you I have yet to find anything to help with the matte look.  I'm now resolved just to accept my megawatt shine.  It's just part of who I am.  Once tried baby powder: it got weird looking really fast!! Enuf for me.  Namaste
I also have the same problem.  I use a target product called up&up 30 SPF, UVA/UVB protection water/sweat resistant rub proof and PABA free helps protect skin from premature aging (to late for that part)  but smells manly and puts a slight shine on but also helps the sweating from the head.  As I sweat like a W#### in church .   Good Luck !
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
I like my head matte too.  Unfortunately, due to celiac disease and chemical sensitivities, I'm greatly restricted in the products I can use.  can't even use headshed because it has walnuts in it and I have nut allergies.  Go fig.

I'm calling Gold Bond company to see if their products are gluten free.  Thanks for the ideas!
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 04:32:15 AM »
Alum block. I can't say enough good things about it regarding keeping the head oil-free & dry looking. Give it a go :)

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 05:57:33 AM »
For television work where the lights make anything shine, we used hair spray to cut the gleam. Probably would work outside but..it seals the skin which isn't a good idea. However for an "occasion" where you just didn't want to seem like the sun had just come out, it works very well.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
I have found that when I want less shine using wipes keeps the shine down. Typically I like the shine. Matte works ok until you pull a hat on and off a few times.

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
Doug,

Found this post made by Saintc in 12/2009 regarding ways to tone down the sly shine.

Hope this helps.

You can always GOOGLE, YAHOO, or BING for more answers!!

"The oil is from the sebaceous gland.  According to The Columbia Encyclopedia, the sebaceous gland secretes an oily substance called sebum. Sebaceous glands are primarily found in association with hair follicles but also occur in hairless areas of the skin. Sebum is a mixture of fat and the debris of dead fat-producing cells. These cells are constantly replaced by new growth at the base of the glands. Generally the sebum is deposited on the hairs inside the follicles and is brought up to the surface of the skin along the hair shaft. In hairless areas, the sebum surfaces through ducts. Sebum lubricates and protects the hair and skin and prevents drying and irritation of membranes. Excessive secretions of sebum may be related to certain forms of baldness.
So, the oil is produced by the glands, and without hair to conceal or otherwise keep it from being noticed you get an "oily" scalp, whether or not it's naturally shiny. 
I found by accident that Gold Bond lotion seems to retard my natural shine--I put it on in the morning before I go to the gym after washing my face and scalp and no shine.  Another moisturizer that seems to do the same thing is Curel, a odorless concoction that's used in hospitals to preserve skin texture.  Finally, Banana Boat Sunscreen also retards shiny.  All of these however, don't stop the glands from pumping oil to the surface.  That's where Baldwipes, or other similar products are good. 
I don't have a problem w/ shine, I like it, but maybe this iwll be of some help to those of us who don't like to "be a light" to the world."   - Saintc

- Cap'n Noodles -

Hey Noodles!
I wanted to thank you for your post here.  I have been using gold bond on my head and it does nicely cut down on shine.  I really like it!  Seems like dimethicone is the magic ingredient.  I sometimes use an anti-chafing gel as a makeup base to keep my face from looking oily if I won't have time to touch-up during the day and I have somewhere to go at night, and that works well.  So I guess it's no surprise that the dimethicone in Gold Bond works too.  THANKS AGAIN!

Raulski,
I definitely need to snag an alum block somewhere.  Do you have suggestions for where to buy?  I'm in the USA.
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com