Author Topic: Care of DE Razor?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
Care of DE Razor?
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
How do you guys care for your razor? After my shave, do I just hang it on the stand to air dry? Do I need to take the blade out? Also what about periodic deep cleaning if it's needed? Thanks for any input.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Care of DE Razor?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »
I always remove the razor after shaving. Afterwards, I just rinse it and leave it standing head up in the stand. You can also get a toothbrush holder with the suction cups on the end at Wal-Mart for $3. That what holds all of my razor handles except for one.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
Take the blade out, rinse and dry blade and razor with towel. A stand is optional but  I just lay the razor on it side. I 'm using my fathers 1953 Gillette and never gave it any further care.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 05:51:52 AM »
After I'm done shaving I slightly loosen the knob (tto safety razor) just enough so the blade is loose but will stay attached to the razor, rinse very well under warm water, give a little shake to get off the dripping water, then give a quick dunk or mist of 91% ISO alcohol, then finally I let it air dry on a hand towel on my sink.  Depending on the blade I will or will not leave it in for a second shave but the post shave cleaning remains the same.  My dorco 301s give me one head shave but my gillette 7 o clock yellows and feather hi stainless (black) both give me two shaves.  I've used a de for about two years now (face first, now head) and I've never had to do anything more then what I listed above as long as I do it immediately after shaving every time.  If your razor does get gross after awhile I've heard great things about plain ol scrubbing bubbles.  Good luck friend!
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
slycat,
 do you tighten it back up after the alcohol, or do you let it dry first?

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:50:30 AM »
I just leave it loose. Most of the time there isn't a blade left in it but I don't have kids so it's not a worry either way.  If I had little ones around I would probably store it more "away" but, again, I typically don't have a blade loaded when it's not actively in use.  The alcohol aids in water evaporation so quickly that I highly doubt I even need to let it dry so long but it's worked so far haha
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Enter your email address: