Author Topic: Short handle or longer for de first time shaver?  (Read 7113 times)

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
Short handle or longer for de first time shaver?
« on: June 14, 2016, 07:12:12 AM »
I'm going to try de saving and was looking at the Merkur 34 or 38. Which handle would be recommended for a beginner, long or short? Or is there a better choice than one of these. Thanks in advance.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Short handle or longer for de first time shaver?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:26:12 AM »
Hi Jeff, as I posted in another thread, I ordered a Merkur 34c, should get it tomorrow. I'll post how I like it after a couple of shaves. I've heard different comments on the handle length.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
I have the 34c and I like the shorter handle better for control on the back of my head and my face. I have always used a DE with a longer handle before I started shaving my head and shaved with a DE with a longer handle for my head a couple times before I got my Merkur, I like the short handle much better. YMMV.

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:32:13 AM »
thanks for the advice guys. what blades do you use Cobra?

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
I use personna blades. I believe they are the Blue labs. I got them from Amazon in a 100 pack. I use a new blade for every shave since I shave my head and face every time and I shave once a day.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
OK, got my new Merkur 34c. After 2 headshaves, I like the weight, balance, and feel. Seems good quality.

I don't think it is as aggressive as my old 1954 Gillette safety razor. I'll keep trying, but the w shaves were BBS.

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »
I ordered mine yesterday. It should be here by the weekend! I decided on the feather blades. The consensus seemed to be that they were the best. We will see.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »
OK, got my new Merkur 34c. After 2 headshaves, I like the weight, balance, and feel. Seems good quality.

I don't think it is as aggressive as my old 1954 Gillette safety razor. I'll keep trying, but the w shaves were BBS.

I'm using my  dads 1953  super speed , and haven't nicked my self yet. Only recently used the de for the head . The short handle is good for head shaving.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
I got my Merkur and just did my first de shave! I think I might have gone to careful cause it took me a while.  :) I had a little problem on the back of my head but the rest is fine. Not bad for my first time, and no cuts.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 06:54:18 PM »
If you go slow and let the weight of the razor do the job ( don't push down) you will avoid cuts. I'm new at using a DE for head shaving but I learned to face shave with one. Also  good shave preparation is the most important factor you can do. I was surprised how well the head shave worked out. I like it because hair does not clog like a cartridge.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 06:35:27 AM »
Thinking of going back to DE shaving but with a 37c

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »
Take your time, Jeff. There's nothing fast about DE shaving. If I do my head and face, it takes me 30 minutes or more. Going too fast or losing concentration is the only time I knicked myself.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
If you are having some trouble with the back of your head you might try a different grip. When I shave the back I hold the handle at the very end like like a pencil....this allows me to get the perfect angle as I shave upwards and keeps me from pushing down with any real pressure...remember to let the razor do the work, you just guide it. O0

Offline jeff29708

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »
thanks for the tip cobra, i'll try it.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
I hope that helps you out. I should also say that I do not use a mirror for the back of my head...I just do it by feel. The first time I shaved my head with a razor...it was a DE by the way...I didn't have a mirror to see the back and I am glad that I didn't, it would be a habit that I would not want to have to break. I'm sure it works great for some but for me it would just be awkward and I found that I did not need to see the back of my head to shave it smooth anyway. Happy shaving. O0