• Sly Guy in Training
nm
« on: April 17, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:23:30 PM by cincydavid »

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
Re: My scalp is breaking out in back- Can you diagnose me? (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »
Do you shave against the grain in the back with a blade? I had to give up shaving ATG on the back of my head because of the same problems. I'm pretty sure it had to do with using too much pressure. Now, I shave the back of my head from the top down with very little pressure and all of the similar bumps I had disappeared after a week or so. 
- Eric W-

Offline cincydavid

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:11:20 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:23:46 PM by cincydavid »

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:27:22 AM »
No prob. I had to weigh my options with the super smooth shave or having those bumps pop up.  Good luck.  O0 Fill us in on what the doc says if you go.
- Eric W-

Offline cincydavid

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 01:31:13 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:24:06 PM by cincydavid »

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:31:05 AM »
What is your shave routine?  Give us a step by step.  Might be able to clear it up by adjusting your approach. 

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:20:48 AM »
It's more than "irritation."  Some of them are clearly infected (the ones that have headed up, and others may be on the way).  A return to the dermatologist is strongly suggested.  I have no idea what the cause is.  Contaminated razor?

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:34:57 AM »
I can only guess but it looks like acne to me.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:53:12 AM »
It's more than "irritation."  Some of them are clearly infected (the ones that have headed up, and others may be on the way).  A return to the dermatologist is strongly suggested.  I have no idea what the cause is.  Contaminated razor?

I agree.  I tend to get acne on my head when I have a dirty razor too.  Do you wear a ball cap a lot?  I have had that break out my head too.  I'm on board with the dermatologist, but I will tell you right now that he/she will more than likely tell you to stop shaving your head.  Sometimes you can adjust your technique and habits to clear these things up.

stemikger

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 07:28:55 AM »
Cincydavid, I'm no determatologist but used to be a barber.  That looks exactley like irritation from going against the grain or getting too close.  My dad was a baber also and used to do the old style straight edge shaves.  The few times I had one done, I got the same exact rash.

If I were you, I'd lay off shaving for a week, then cut it down with a clipper and if you want the bald look do it with an electric razor.

The few times, I shaved with a razor, I got pretty bad rashes also, but since I have started doing it with the Conair Cleanhead, it gets just as close with no irritation and rash.  However,  the rash also has acne mixed in with it, so I would lay off the shaving for at least a week.

Having said all that, still see your dermatologist for a real expert opinion.  However, I would say 99.9% it is a bad rash with acne, nothing more.  The best cure is to let it heal and leave it alone, right now shaving it will only make it worse.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:30:40 AM by stemikger »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 08:06:45 AM »
Let us know your shave routine and the products you use. One of the products may be irratating you. I had a breakout last Summer that I couldn't shake.... so I started rotating products out of my shave routine one at a time until I found the culprit. Unfortunately for me it was Shave Secret. I stopped using it and in a few days the shaving bumps disappeared.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »
That my friend is irritation, I get the same mild thing on the back of my neck at times and it's usually relieved in about an hour after. I would say if you decide to make contact with skin with a razor go as gently as possilble and going with the grain might relieve the stress. The other thing and without giving info in your shave routine prep is might want to invest in some Clearhead from headblade which has salycylic acid will prevent any irritation and breakouts, the other thing and you can get it real cheap is benzoyl peroxide to use for a face wash before you shave as well.

Numerous things can be causing that, what type of razor, the shaving cream/gel might can attribute to that breakout as well as not using enough hot water. %99 of the time I shave is after I get out of a nice hot shower and it just works better IMO.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
Looks like acne or a contact dermatitis.  Wash two to three times a day with mild anti-acne soap, like Cuticura, wipe clean w/ an astringent.  Change your pillowcases often.  Clean or throw out old hats you may be wearing.  Avoid any products w/ oil that could clog the pores. 

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »
Looks like acne or a contact dermatitis.  Wash two to three times a day with mild anti-acne soap, like Cuticura, wipe clean w/ an astringent.  Change your pillowcases often.  Clean or throw out old hats you may be wearing.  Avoid any products w/ oil that could clog the pores. 
I agree with saintc's diagnosis. And his prescription should do the trick. But lay off the razor for a bit too. Give your skin time to recover it's natural health.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 04:46:23 PM »
Saintc's approach cured me the time or two I broke out in exactly the same area.  For me it was bald guyz gel and not changing my pillow case often enough.   Washing frequently and using an astringent cleared it right up and haven't had problems since.   I do shave against the grain.