Author Topic: New to headblade sport, what to expect?  (Read 3512 times)

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
New to headblade sport, what to expect?
« on: October 09, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
I know, it seems like a trivial question that a few mins on the search bar would answer but let me explain:

I'm a seasoned head shaver who typically uses a head blade atx with no issue and sometimes a de if time permits.  Well I love my headblade atx and after sometime decided to get a sport just to try out.  On my atx I'll use hb/dorco 4 or 2 blade carts with decent success but found it took many passes to clear my head totally smooth. I recently switched to personna twin balde carts and have been getting the closest shaves with least passes and least time spent ever!  I do occasionally nic myself with these since they are so sharp but I'm adjusting to them and reducing the already occasional weepers.

So my question is: what to expect with the sport and same personna twin carts? I know and fully understand that my mileage may vary but as a whole am I in for a steep learning curve here? General thought across the web seems to show that us who prefer the twin blades typically prefer the sport.  Just curious.

Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: New to headblade sport, what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
Hmmm.... 140something views and no reply lol.  Well I'll just post my own thoughts then.

I am not a fan of the sport.  I highly prefer the atx. I rarely ever cut myself with the atx and when I do it's a minor nick that goes away quickly.  Every time I've used the sport I take gashes out of my head.  The push motion of the sport just does not work for me and my needs. I honestly wish I just spent the money on a back up atx.

For what it's worth I use the same prep, lather, blades... So forth.  Guess I'm an atx lifer.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:19:16 PM »
My experience is that  I get a smoother shave with the Sport than the ATX. I have  both. Rarely use the ATX. 

Sent my comments to HeadBlade. They responded that even their president prefers the Sport over the ATX.  So I guess both will be around for awhile.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:03:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  I too have heard their president prefers the sport.  If I were still using the dorco carts I could see the sport working better for me since they are not quite as sharp however I LOVE these personna twin carts and get them so cheap I won't change unless they get discontinued.  I get packs of 100 that average around $0.10 per cart, including the shipping! Even my personna de blades are about $0.11-$0.12 per blade lol. 

Headblade as a whole is great, the atx is awesome, headslick, headshed, and headclear are  all great... I've just found the sport to not be for me.  Same with the headlube but that's different thread.

Offline Wicked_Ripper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
I have the sport, and I have the ATX
The reason I own both is that the sport was the latest ( when I bought it ) and then came the ATX upgrade.

I think that the new design idea of the ATX is better, and it makes more sense. I wonldn't go back the the sport now ( unless I had to ). I bought a couple of ATXes though, so I won't be out preety soon :D

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »
I may be biased because when I started the atx was new so I came to the sport late. Good news is headblade stood behind their products and Mac offered me an exchange for a new atx!  Just in time since my last one was starting to wear down. I sent back the sport last week and should have a new atx in a few days.

Offline Wicked_Ripper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:05:44 PM »
imho, the atx is just....better

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 05:16:11 AM »
I absolutely agree wicked.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:34:26 AM »
I have thought about buying the ATX but have been using Schick Hydro 3.  Do you have to buy the blade refills from Headblade or can you use other refills?

Offline Wicked_Ripper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:37:03 AM »
I have thought about buying the ATX but have been using Schick Hydro 3.  Do you have to buy the blade refills from Headblade or can you use other refills?
I am using the gillette blue 3 cartridges(you'll need an adaptor for that).
they're preety cheap, about 1$ where I live, and a single cartridge lasts me a week. I have a full head of hair, and I shave daily

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:42:24 AM »
Thanks Wicked_Ripper, I will have to try the ATX.  From your picture, your results look great!  I hope I can have the same!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »
Dshupe: I used to use dorco carts on my headblade because headblade actually buys their carts from dorco, rebrands them, and drastically up charges them (dont take this as a knock on headblade, they are a great company with great products otherwise).  What type of cart do you like? Dorco's pace 3, 4, 6, & 7 all fit the headblade adapter that is standard on the atx but you do have to remove the dorco adapter from the back of each cart prior to use.  I wrote up a very detailed picture tutorial on doing this that I'm sure you can find in the search bar but as a whole the very minimal effort is highly outweighed by the extreme low cost of buying the blades directly from dorco.  Also sign up for Dorco's email list and they will send you coupons like every week, for real.  On a side note: dollar shave club is also ALL dorco blades and handles at a severe up charge. I've such great customer service from dorco that the vp of sales offered to give a discount banner to slybaldguys.com like headblade and beebald if he has enough of us trying their blades and providing them feedback.

With all of that being said... I recently switched to personna twin carts on my atx and am never looking back!  They fit the older headblade adapter that comes standard on the sport model that is designed for their triple blade carts but no fear, just make sure to add a pack of the yellow sport adapters when you order your atx and you are good to go! These things are insanely sharp, up there with feather de blades (May not know what I'm speaking of if you haven't used a safety razor), and give me consistently the closest, smoothest, and quickest shaves of my life!  To make it even better I got 100 of them off a reputable amazon dealer for less then $12 and free shipping.  That is absurdly cheap even if these blades sucked, which trust me they do not at all. They also are the only carts I've ever been able to use on my face without ingrowns and irritation.

If you need further info or help on this matter shoot me a pm.  I've got a ton of experience and knowledge in reference to shaving in general, how to go about it frugally without cutting necessary corners, and just about every type of blade you can possibly fit onto the various headblade adapters (even if it means taking them apart lol)

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 08:06:44 PM »
Thanks SlyCat for the great information. I am using Schick Hydro 3 on my head. I use an electric razor on my face.  I like the results with the Hydro 3 but blades only last 3 shaves.  I have been very interested in and curious about the Headblade ATX.  I am very new to head shaving and appreciate your advice.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »
I use dorco cartridges on my headblade too as they seem to me to give a better shave than the headblade ones, now after reading what slycatcrossing has said, it's made me wonder if I have imagined it
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Enter your email address: