Author Topic: Clipper without guard?  (Read 66875 times)

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Re: Clipper without guard?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
I have used the Conair Cleanhead clipper which does have an attachement to clipper shave you and another to basically shave you smooth. You can order it online, I have not seen it in any USA stores. It is fun to use because it feels really good and you can leave some hair initially but you will always be tempted to go all the way once you start :) thats the fun of it !
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:10:53 PM by Tyler »

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 04:36:11 AM »
Yeah, i need to go slow but i would like an option to shave it with a bigger length like a 1mm. Then if the clipper has the possibility to remove the attachement then that´s the next step until the razor comes in!

I really need to do it this way and not show up in work completely bald. I´m thining all over and people already notice it when they speak to me closely,i guess i´m a NW3 at the moment so it´s better to going shorter and shorter.

Offline Smooth_Operator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 07:28:15 AM »
I worked my way down with different guards, too.  The biggest difference between no guard and a 1 guard (for me) was how long I could go between clippings before it started to look too long.  After about a day or two, it was hard to distinguish how close I had buzzed it.  Switching to shaving was great, and a lot easier, too.  With a clipper you can't feel for spots that you missed and it was hard to do an even job... it also took a long time.  If you feel you can't go completely slick yet, I would suggest shaving on a Friday night (oh, hey - it's Friday!) and it'll be grown in to a buzzcut by work on Monday.  Shaving is a lot easier than clipping....

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »
I really need to do it this way and not show up in work completely bald.
You have to do what you think is right, but I believe that most of us w/ mpb found that when we did shave the comments about it at work were either no comment at all or complimentary--and of course we also have found that the compliments just keep coming.  It is a big step for you, but for others, not so big.  So, if it's the response of your fellow workers, that's not going to happen at any where near the level you are anticipating. 

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »
I don´t mind the response from my co-workers...it´s the response from the bosses. We have a dress code that only allows shaved heads with authorization only because it´s not permitted due to the nature of our work which is to contact with the public.

Somehow i need to convince them that i have problems with my hair so shaving shorter and shorter will be a good option although i don´t want to make a very very drastic change from the night to the day.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 07:20:02 PM »
I don´t mind the response from my co-workers...it´s the response from the bosses. We have a dress code that only allows shaved heads with authorization only because it´s not permitted due to the nature of our work which is to contact with the public.

Somehow i need to convince them that i have problems with my hair so shaving shorter and shorter will be a good option although i don´t want to make a very very drastic change from the night to the day.
You don't say what line of work you're in, but my work brings me into contact with elected officials and other government workers, corporate types, etc., generally all with substantial budget authority, and my company--a leader in our industry--doesn't care what's outside my head, it's what's inside and how I can work with that to assist our clients that counts.  You have a medical condition, and since they seem to be thick headed, use the term--androgenic alopecia--that's the 10 cent word for a one penny problem--male pattern baldness.  Tell them you don't as a matter of principle accept temporary and potentially dangerous medical treatment and that your solution, shaving, will not increase their medical insurance costs.  By the way, hair is not a "dress code" issue, unless it isn't clean to the extent that it poses a health hazard to the workplace. 

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 06:26:51 PM »
I know,but they are dumb to understand that.

I work in an airport btw. Maybe they are affraid i might be connected to skinheads and that i will beat any old lady that messes with me lol

Offline BaldGuyMD

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 11:28:33 AM »
Tagus,
I also work in an airport (BWI) for a major airline.  I work in front-line customer service, meeting the public every minute I am there and I am one of about a dozen men in my company who shave our heads.  I have never had a passenger tell me they thought I was a skinhead.  It is a very mainstream look today.  I see many male passengers every day with bald heads as well.  Go for it.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »
Lot's of good advice here...if you are going that low, scrape it off with a blade and if you don't like it...it grows back...but we all know you will like it...

...and you won't be called a skinhead unless you happen to dress like one...

Offline quickz

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
I did clipper without the guard first time last week, then today again.  I reckon it looks much better then a 2 or even a 1.  I have a receding hairline, if I wanted I could grow out an 'ok' head of hair but this is far far far far better.  I'll probably shave it all off sometime soon but in no rush I'm 24 and at the moment I like the buzzed look.  Give it a shot and it's pretty easy to do by yourself especially with no guard as you can do right from your neckline to your forehead the same length, where as with a 2 I'd also have to tidy up the neck a little bit with a different trimmer.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
I did clipper without the guard first time last week, then today again.  I reckon it looks much better then a 2 or even a 1.  I have a receding hairline, if I wanted I could grow out an 'ok' head of hair but this is far far far far better.  I'll probably shave it all off sometime soon but in no rush I'm 24 and at the moment I like the buzzed look.  Give it a shot and it's pretty easy to do by yourself especially with no guard as you can do right from your neckline to your forehead the same length, where as with a 2 I'd also have to tidy up the neck a little bit with a different trimmer.

I work with a guy who is about your age, and he was worn a short buzz (I'm guessing a zero-guard) for as long as I've known him.  I had no idea that he was thinning and receding until he started letting the buzz grow out (presumably for the winter).  He looks like he's at a #2 length now, maybe a little bit longer.  Thinning and recession is moderate but quite noticeable at that length.