Author Topic: Question: Has going sly affected your confidence?  (Read 9191 times)

Offline Jae

• Learning the way of Sly
Question: Has going sly affected your confidence?
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
Hi all,

You may have seen my previous post in which I discovered (to my great surprise) that removing my waning hair affected my confidence so positively that I decided I didn't even need to follow the 30-day rule, I was a fully paid up member as soon as the final follicle fell.

Of course, I didn't just take all the hair off in one fell swoop; I went from a number 2 buzz cut to number 1, then purchased the Wahl Balding clippers to get as close as possible. I'd fully intended to stop there, but since I was about to head off on holiday I thought, 'Well, in for a penny, in for a pound', so picked up a Headblade and 10 minutes later the hair was no more.

It was an absolute revelation and I'll never go back. I no longer check myself out in the mirror and wish my hair would return. Instead, I actually smile and think, 'Yep, that'll do for me!'

Anyway, back to my question. How has it affected your confidence? Do you feel as good as I do or are you struggling with your new look? Hopefully you all love it but for those of you not quite feeling the sly style or worrying about going fully bald....well, hopefully I can show you that it's absolutely the way forward! Personally, I haven't felt this good about myself in years.

Gentlemen....the floor is yours...

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
Re: Question: Has going sly affected your confidence?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
Absolutely 100%! Now granted it didn't happen overnight.  It took the 30 days and then some, but it has been amazing.
I haven't felt this good about myself in years.
This exactly.

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
Depends how life is going. Some days I think I look great and other days like"dang it why me"
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
  I guess it's time for true confessions guys :   It took me several years of going Sly for a few months and then going back to the thinning Flattop around and around before I was able to accept myself as more than just a "temporary"  bald man.  I just didn't have the confidence to do that.  I'm still a little shocked when I see myself in the mirror.  still don't know if I can feel confident about it!?!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
Like most people there is a adjustment period . I went back and forth for a number of years . Now I no longer give it much thought , other than this is me take it or leave it.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
I kept my head shaved for 4 years because I loved how I looked bald. I also enjoy the daily headshave routine. If you can look in the mirror after shaving and think, man that looks great, the confidence will be there.

I've been single a good part of my life, and I realize most women think I look much better with hair, but I decided you have to please yourself first. At 63 yo, I'm less interested in pleasing others.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline BigSkySly

• Sly in Big Sky
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »
When I had hip replacement surgery,  I went without shaving for 2 weeks...... was the worst 2 weeks of my life.
Bald by Choice

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Lol. Yeah, they wouldn't let me shave for 2 months when I was in the hospital. It was literally the first thing I did when I left.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Conservator

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 10:11:57 PM »
Yes, it has given me a lot more confidence.  I no longer joke about growing bald and complain about it. People that have known me before and after say they see me as a much stronger person, with more self-confidence.
I'm not bald I'm follicly challenged.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 05:56:51 AM »
Always wanted very short hair., Kept it at very short buzz [ got ribbed but enjoyed that - had the courage to be different. Shaved head for some years starting in 1980 before it became more common, bbc now for many years.

Offline Lancslad

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
Love it. Going on three weeks now. Liberated! No going back. Felt good to bag up fake hair paint, hairspray and mucky paint stained brush and save them for bad memories. Feel very natural and confident. Once in a while I have thoughts like, "What did you do?!", but those pass. It's a popular style these days, so I don't feel alone anyway. Always been fit and active, so this suits me well. Just had to wait until the guy in the mirror seemed like me. Maybe a couple of weeks. Good that most family and friends have been very much in favour of my new look. Only one said, It'll grow back"....HA! No it won't. I clipped the comb over off and would have to wear a hat for maybe a year to grow it back in secrecy. Not going to happen. My decision is final! Am leaving a slight shadow round the sides and back now, but have been having an urge lately to shave all way down, so chances are....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:06:32 PM by Lancslad »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »
Lancslad, I can't imagine you with hair, you look outstanding bald. The positive comments reflect that. It's such a relief when you take the plunge and realize it looks good on you.

Go for the razor shave, it won't look much different, but the feel is awesome.

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
I for one really dont think it suits me due to a freakishly large head.   Been following Rippetoes starting strength to try and get some chest and shoulder development to try and balance out my head.    I can overhead press 185 standing bit my head still looks gigantic...

Offline Lancslad

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
Thanks for the good word, Reddog! Might try tomorrow.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
I'm sure it will look fantastic. Let us know what you think.

Enter your email address: