Author Topic: Getting ID'd  (Read 4034 times)

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
Getting ID'd
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
I've almost been refused service before (alcohol, tobacco, etc) based on my ID picture.  My hair is down to my shoulders in the picture and it was almost 5 years ago so I don't even really look like me (I was 19).  My ID expires this month on my B-day so I'm gonna seal in the sly look by taking my license pic sly! 

Anyone else have/had this problem after going sly?  I'm especially looking at you, ladies.  I'm sure people look at you weird

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
Re: Getting ID'd
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
Strangely I got more comments on my ID photo's hair discrepancies when I still had long hair than I have since going sly.  I'm almost blonde in my photo which is from when I was 22 (I'm 31, NY IDs last 12 years); I've long since gone back to my natural dark brown and I'd get a lot of comments about the difference.

Since going sly I think they're forced/more inclined to focus more on my face which obviously matches instead of focusing on the hair.

I got a new passport photo taken today so it'll be interesting to see what happens if I ever grow my hair long again and present my passport.  :)

Almost totally unrelated anecdote: when I was living in Ireland my US driver's license was stolen, so for the first 2-3 weeks I was back in the US all I had for photo ID was my Irish national ID card and my passport.  I didn't like carrying my passport so I'd use my Irish ID when out and about.  I was nearly refused service once - the bartendress came storming over to me about 5 minutes after I'd ordered my drink and declared "This is totally fake.  I went all through the bar book and Ireland ISN'T EVEN A STATE."  (she was herself drunk to be fair).  A different bartender took over the situation a little more...intelligently.

Offline TV guy

• Sly Jr.
    • T.V.Puppetree
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
I got a really nice compliment today. I wish I could say I was refused service because I looked too young but hey I'm 56 so there are a few wrinkles and sags...OK more than a few.  I was however told that I looked under 40...I'll take that.

Ireland may not be a US state but it is certainly "in a state" LOL   OK that was a bad joke but their economy is in a state and it's a great time to travel to the emerald isle or buy Irish made goods. I've bought incredible sweaters from Blarney Woolen Mills (google them, they are on the web and ship FREE anywhere in the world). I purchased hand knit, merino wool Aran sweaters that I've seen in stores, years ago, at many hundreds of dollars for the equivalent or $60 cdn. Outside the EEC there is no VAT tax

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
Oddly the best bargains I found in Ireland were handmade Chilean knits.  These were BEAUTIFUL cashmere blankets, scarves etc for the equivalent of $10USD.  I've since gifted all of them; my mom still has hers displayed hanging in the living room.

Of course I lived there in 2002 & 2003 when Ireland was still considered the Celtic Tiger and the Euro was first overtaking the dollar. I used to go to Italy for cheap, well made clothes; several sweaters I picked up there are still in my wardrobe today.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:00:29 AM »
I've almost been refused service before (alcohol, tobacco, etc) based on my ID picture.  My hair is down to my shoulders in the picture and it was almost 5 years ago so I don't even really look like me (I was 19).  My ID expires this month on my B-day so I'm gonna seal in the sly look by taking my license pic sly! 

Anyone else have/had this problem after going sly?  I'm especially looking at you, ladies.  I'm sure people look at you weird

No, but I'm due for a new driver's license this month, too.  Will be my first sly license. Looking forward to it.

Offline TV guy

• Sly Jr.
    • T.V.Puppetree
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
Blarney Woolen MIlls is advertising some great buys on "Mother's day" appropriate stuff - Just saying

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
Oddly the best bargains I found in Ireland were handmade Chilean knits.  These were BEAUTIFUL cashmere blankets, scarves etc for the equivalent of $10USD.  I've since gifted all of them; my mom still has hers displayed hanging in the living room.

Of course I lived there in 2002 & 2003 when Ireland was still considered the Celtic Tiger and the Euro was first overtaking the dollar. I used to go to Italy for cheap, well made clothes; several sweaters I picked up there are still in my wardrobe today.

The Celtic Tiger is now the celtic kitten.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
Or the Celtic cat fetus.  Icarus flew too close to the sun with the whole "no corporate taxes for ten years then BAM!" scheme.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
10 years ago a guy named Sean something was worth a couple of a billion, today he is broke.

Offline Baldandbeautiful

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:31:58 AM »
My passport is sly its a good feeling

Enter your email address: