Author Topic: How to deal with extreme oily head?  (Read 11745 times)

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
Re: How to deal with extreme oily head?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 06:23:30 AM »
Headblade as a company is awesome, their customer service is great, and most of their products work well, but personally I hated the headlube.  It cause so much more "grease" and I had a layer of slime on me all day, and I didn't even use that much. When I started sweating I had these white drops running down my face... That stuff isn't for me
Ordered that Clubman Osage Rub! As long as it doesn't make my head shinier I'm all for trying it. I just need something that helps me get that matte look all day long.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
Awesome!  I think you'll dig it. It's is EXTREMELY mentholated so if you are not used to the types of products you are in for a bit of a shock the first few times but trust me, it goes away quick and leaves your skin feeling great.  The scent is pure menthol so you still may decide to follow up with a scented aftershave or cologne of your choice, as I do.  Your skin will be shiny for a few mins while it sinks in but it goes away quickly and leaving your skin feeling great but not extra shiny.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 09:54:50 AM »
Quote from: SlyCatCrossing link=topic=27326.msg364229#msg364229 I fordate=1475321572
Headblade as a company is awesome, their customer service is great, and most of their products work well, but personally I hated the headlube.  It cause so much more "grease" and I had a layer of slime on me all day, and I didn't even use that much. When I started sweating I had these white drops running down my face... That stuff isn't for me
I forgot to ask why can't I just use witch hazel on my head? Is an school based aftershave stronger? Also, what shaving cream do you use on your head? I have also tried Jack Black All Day Oil Control lotion. Seems to mattify my head nicely, but a few hours later the same thing happens. I'm worried a bit that if I use an alcohol based aftershave my head will try and produce more oil since it's so dry from the alcohol.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:47:30 PM by plavd »

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
Re: How to deal with extreme oily head?uick
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 05:08:25 AM »
You can use just witch hazel but it's "oil control" properties are no-where near that of a proper alcohol based splash, though if you had no other choice you could use just witch hazel in a pinch. I'm not sure why you feel that an alcohol based splash will cause more oil... You'll have to really just have first hand experience. Use this as an example: when a teenager gets acne on their face it is caused by over active/productive oil glands, so they use astringents and or toners that, while having other ingredients, are primarily alcohol and/or witch hazel.  Treat your head like the face of a teenager and your issue should minimalize if not disappear entirely.

As for my shaving cream/soaps of choice:
I regularly alternate between proraso green cream and a la toja shave stick, both used with an omega synthetic brush.  I also have a new maggard synthetic brush on the way but that is another post for another time.  In terms of efficacy the proraso and the la toja both lather like a dream and offer AMAZING shaves so for me it really comes down to a scent difference and what I'm in the mood for at the time.  Since the la toja is a stick, it's extreme ease of use (just wet your head, rub it around, then work up lather with brush directly on skin) and portable size may give it a slight advantage.  Both are considered wet shaving staples though and I suggest trying them both if you venture into proper wet shaving.

I also have a col conk lime scented glycerin soap that I melted into a shave stick.  I'm not sure about that stuff... Very little cushion but a very "sticky" slickness and minimal protection.  That was a cheap soap I wanted to try for fun.  In this same category I have a puck of van der hagen deluxe which offers much more cushion and protection then the col conk line glycerin however it still comes nowhere near the la toja or proraso.

If time is an issue or I don't feel like busting out the whole brush and soap combo then I'll use gillette foamy menthol.  This stuff is a staple around my home.  Say what you want about canned foo, this stuff is legit.  It smells and feels great, offers nice protection, doesn't contribute to skin oil production, and is quick.  As long as gillette doesn't discontinue this there will always be a can in my home.  My wife also uses it daily for her needs.  Last but not least, headslick.  I have a love/hate relationship with this stuff. I get a great first pass but then subsequent passes always seems to drag and pull. Probably the least used product of the ones I have.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Domes Day

• Best Exhilarating Salon Finishes
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • One day, we can choose our salon finish our dome
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 05:56:28 AM »
Use products that are designed and dedicated to razor head shaving.
Sometimes, I just wanna pro-job. But no one does it!

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
Re: How to deal with extreme oily head?uick
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »
Once in a while I will shave without any shaving cream. What I noticed is my head doesn't look at shiny and glossy as when I do use shaving cream. I'm pretty sure this routine will shorten the life of my Fusion razor.