Author Topic: Facial hair  (Read 45713 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Facial hair
« on: November 26, 2006, 09:56:37 AM »
Did most of you guys grow your facial hair after you shaved your heads, are did you already have it?  I've had my goatee for a little over a year now.  The bald look didn't really "come together" for me until I grew it.  I have a weak chin, and once my head was shaved it seemed to be more noticeable, at least in my mind.  Growing the goatee disguises it nicely.  I'd never worn any facial hair before (other than occasionally not shaving for a few days), but now I really can't imagine being without it.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Facial hair
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 10:32:02 AM »
hey razor. i have had the goatee for about 13 yrs. with the exception of one stupid mishap in 96 when i had to shave it it has been there. been shaving my head for almost a year. i can't imagine having hair or a clean shaved face. for me personally, i think the bald head would look silly without facial hair. but that is just me.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »
I started with the bald look and the goatee at the same time.  But then I shaved the goatee off for a couple of months.  Once I grew it back about 3 1/2 years ago, I haven't shaved it since.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »
I started with the bald look and the goatee at the same time.  But then I shaved the goatee off for a couple of months.  Once I grew it back about 3 1/2 years ago, I haven't shaved it since.

So you've been bald for quite a while, then?

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 11:44:01 AM »
I had the goatee on and off for several years, based on military demand mostly and personal desire.  Lately I have been doing the whole beard day and half growth. 
Good post RazorX.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »
 ; Ahoy! I've worn facial hair [at first a goatee, then a full beard, and, after adopting the bald look, a goatee again] since 1964,  when  I began graduate school. Wearing it was problematic during the Viet Nam era. Except for cities on both coasts, it was generally regarded as a leftist political statement, especially in the mid-west and South. Professionals, politicians, businessmen, the whole middle class, were all de rigueur clean-shaven. Only orthodox Jews, certain unAmerican ethnics, monks, mad scientists, and sailors on long voyages wore beards. Hold-overs from before the war, such as bandleaders and ageing actors, could get away with moustaches. I grew my goatee because I got tired of raping the supersensitive skin on my chin and jawline, and because I have  a weak chin. My father's advice not to wear any facial hair proved right: my future inlaws--from Michigan--regarded the marriage of their daughter to a bearded man with suspicion and loathing. This was richly ironic because I come from a politically conservation Catholic family; we have voted Republican in every election, except that of JFK. When I decided to go baldy, I just spontaneously chopped the beard down to a goatee. One of the frequent comments I get now is that the new style makes me look younger--good news at 64. Like many of you, I have found that the goatee works better with the chrome dome than the beard, although the skin-problem has returned and I may go back to the beard. Thankfully, facial hair is no longer associated with subversive antiAmerican sentiment, viz. Gov.  Corzine, innumerable academics, policemen, even servicemen. Certain heads look better shaved than others; and certain chins look better covered with hair than others. It's a matter of putting nature and aesthetics together; and requires  a degree of honest objectivity. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »
I've had my goatee off and on for about 10 years now. I personally feel that I have too much of a baby face to be clean shaven...with or without hair. Wife found some old pics yesterday when I was still keeping a full head of hair and had just trimmed my goatee. She made the comment that she liked more hair on my head and less on my face. Told her to get used to the way it is now. It's not likely to change anytime soon.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »
I have not yet shaved - but the day is approaching fast since Mother Nature is rapidly relieving me of my hair.  No facial hair ... yet.  Many of you guys get jokes about having to grow it on your face since you cannot grow it elsewhere!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 01:14:42 PM »
Yeah but that's ok, because they're just jealous!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 01:19:42 PM »
I have not yet shaved - but the day is approaching fast since Mother Nature is rapidly relieving me of my hair.  No facial hair ... yet.  Many of you guys get jokes about having to grow it on your face since you cannot grow it elsewhere!

OK, so here's what you need to do:  start growing a goatee now, and make a commitment to shave your head when it's grown in.   That gives you a week or two to prepare to be bald.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 04:57:14 PM »
I have had facial hair off and on since age 18, when I grew a moustache in high school.  I have had at least a moustache.  From about 1989 to 1997, I had a full beard continously.  In '97 when I started to shave my head, I trimmed the beard down to a goatee.  The shaved head has also been a more off and on thing.  But more on than off.  During that time, I have mostly had a full goatee.  But I have also sported a moustache and at other times, a full beard.  I finally tried the clean shaven look for a few weeks during May of this year.  Now I am back to a goatee and moustache.  I personally prefer having some kind of facial hair to go with the bald head.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »

Yeah, I just celebrated 4 years of being bald.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:07:34 AM »
I grew a goatee as soon as I got out of the Navy (5 years ago).  I kept it when I first started shaving my head (2 1/2 years ago), but decided to go with the soul patch about 6 months ago...

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »

Yeah, I just celebrated 4 years of being bald.

Grow the tee about the same time you shaved?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »
Grow the tee about the same time you shaved?

Yeah, I grew a full beard while hunting (right after shaving my head).  When I got back to civilization, my dad and his buddy wanted to go to the bars, so I shaved the beard down to a goatee to look a little older.  When I got home I got such good reviews that I decided to keep it (except for a couple of months that I shaved it off for some reason).