Author Topic: Please help my spotty head!  (Read 13464 times)

Offline Baldrag

• Learning the way of Sly
Please help my spotty head!
« on: August 13, 2016, 04:30:55 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to posting here but been lurking the past month or so when deciding if I should go ahead and shave bald. I like a lot of people MPB and thought it was time to take the plunge and go fully shaven (was quite a big decision for me as hair used to be a big part of my life).

Anyway, after using the razor 3 times in the past 2 weeks my head has become an acne filled mess at the back and I'm at a loss as to what I should do, I don't know if I'm allergic to one of the products I've used but I'm now in a position where I'm so embarrassed I don't really want to go outside. I guess I'm here looking for advice, to give a little context here is my routine for the past 2 shaves (in which time this acne has developed).

Shower in hot water soaking scalp to open up pours
exfoliate scalp with St Ives Apricot scrub
Rinse head throughly with hot water
lather up Proraso shaving cream on head with boar brush
Shave head using Fusion pro-glide razor
Rinse with cold water
Run alum block over head
Apply Fine snake bite aftershave
Apply small amount of moisturiser (used Dare to be Bald first but then switched to Nivea sensitive aftershave)

The spots on my head don't appear during or directly after shaving so I don't think its razor burn, they tend to appear 10-24 hours after and have been getting progressively worse (starting as red spots and developing into itchy spots with white heads). For the past week I've been washing my head 2-3 times a day and up until a few days ago I was also applying Clearasil twice a day with cotton, again I've stopped that as it wasn't making a difference and my head was just drying out.

Here is a picture of my head this morning, my last shave was yesterday morning and its gotten a lot worse since then.

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I go back to work on Monday after being off for the past two weeks and am really self-conscious of how my head looks. As I've said I'm only washing my scalp now with water twice a day.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Please help my spotty head!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:01:14 AM »
Did this start only after starting to head shave ?
Do you shave ATG or only WTG ?
Looks like maybe ingrown hairs ?
If it was me I would stop shaving for awhile and see if it clears up . If no improvement in a week or so, I would see a dermatologist.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »
Welcome to the board!

How often are you waiting between shaves? Sometimes, just like shaving too often can be damaging to the scalp, waiting too long between shaves can be just as bad because the hair may have too much time to curl back into the pores. Here are some suggestions:

1. Try rubbing an ice cube over your head after shaving, preferably before the after shave. Cold water is ok, but ice cubes are a bit easier on pores than hard tap water, IMO

2. Invest in some witch hazel. There is a possibility you may be allergic to the aftershave that you are using (or it's contents) Witch hazel stings less than aftershave.

3. Invest in some pre shave oil to mix with your shaving cream. It will make the razor glide through the hair easier.

4. Consider investing in a safety razor (double edged). While the handle may be a bit pricey (you may be able to find a bargain online), the razors are dirt cheap and you can use them more than once if you clean and care for them properly.

5. Check your bedwear/pillowcases. Sweat/dirt from your head may get into the pores causing breakouts like the one in your picture. You may have to wash your pillowcases more often

You said that you were MPB. Were you already wearing your hair short or did you have to cut off a lot of hair?

Feel free to ask more questions or PM me if you need to. Best of luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Baldrag

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »
Did this start only after starting to head shave ?
Do you shave ATG or only WTG ?
Looks like maybe ingrown hairs ?
If it was me I would stop shaving for awhile and see if it clears up . If no improvement in a week or so, I would see a dermatologist.

Hi, thanks for coming back to me. Yes, I didn't have any of this before shaving. I've been doing two passes, the first with the grain and the second against, I suppose I could have been a bit too gungho when going against trying to get that super smooth finish.

As you suggest I won't shave again until the spots have improved significantly, just so frustrating I thought I was doing everything right  :-\

Welcome to the board!

How often are you waiting between shaves? Sometimes, just like shaving too often can be damaging to the scalp, waiting too long between shaves can be just as bad because the hair may have too much time to curl back into the pores. Here are some suggestions:

1. Try rubbing an ice cube over your head after shaving, preferably before the after shave. Cold water is ok, but ice cubes are a bit easier on pores than hard tap water, IMO

2. Invest in some witch hazel. There is a possibility you may be allergic to the aftershave that you are using (or it's contents) Witch hazel stings less than aftershave.

3. Invest in some pre shave oil to mix with your shaving cream. It will make the razor glide through the hair easier.

4. Consider investing in a safety razor (double edged). While the handle may be a bit pricey (you may be able to find a bargain online), the razors are dirt cheap and you can use them more than once if you clean and care for them properly.

5. Check your bedwear/pillowcases. Sweat/dirt from your head may get into the pores causing breakouts like the one in your picture. You may have to wash your pillowcases more often

You said that you were MPB. Were you already wearing your hair short or did you have to cut off a lot of hair?

Feel free to ask more questions or PM me if you need to. Best of luck!

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

I've been shaving at about 5 day intervals as I didn't want to irritate the spots to much when they started to appear. I been wearing my hair short for a few years now, using the 1/2 grade comb on my Wahl Supertapers but thought it was time to go fully shaven.

I did purchase and try a safety razor on my second shave but I just couldn't get the hang of it, it felt like hair just wasn't coming off no matter the angel, I was using a Muhle R89 I think. My other issue with a DE is that I'm always pushed for time, the last couple of weeks haven't been bad as I'm not at work but trying to fit in a 1 hour shave in usual circumstances would be impossible.

I don't really know how I can tell if it is ingrown hairs due to my shaving technique or acne. Any further ideas?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:57:28 AM by Baldrag »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
You said that you were pushed for time. It's possible that rushing may have aggravated your skin. In most cases, if the skin is bumpy, ingrown hairs are trapped inside. You may have to just shave in one direction until your skin toughens up. If you have oily skin, I would lay off the moisturizer for a while. If you're looking for a quick fix for what you have now, wet an aspirin and let it sit over the affected area while you're sleeping.

Offline Baldrag

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
I may try the aspirin mask tonight, just looked it up on YouTube and a couple of pills, water and honey are all in the house. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to leave shaving until my head has cleared up, from then I'll just go with the grain the first through times. I guess if the spots are ingrown hairs they will just heal on there own over the next week or so?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
They probably will heal if you give it a rest. Also, you may need to try a razor with fewer blades. Too many blades on a razor is bad on sensitive skin.

Offline Vince

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 05:01:26 PM »
Yep, ingrown hairs is the first thing that came  to my mind when I saw his pic.

I see you've been given a lot of great advice so far.  No need for me to say anything else but hi and welcome to the forum!

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 02:13:24 AM »
I would try going with th grain for the first couple of months, that will toughen up the scalp and get the head used to being shaved. Only wash your head once a day, I wash once in the morning, otherwise you will dry out your skin (as you said) which is return makes the skin produce more oil and contribute towards acne. Your routine seems to be bang on but I would stop using the aftershave and moisturiser and  use TENDSKIN. It is a miracle worker and will definitely clear up the back of your head. Put some on a cotton pad, and dab all over the head. I'd give up the alum block as well. Trust me with the tend skin though, it's a miracle worker. I shave my head first at the sink, then I hop in the shower, scrub head and face and neck with st Ives apricot scrub, get out, pat dry gently with towel and then apply tend skin. It's what works for me.

All the best

Offline GrisslyGobCruncher

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »
Sir Harry 214 recommended Nivea After Shave Balm. That’s the one I’m currently using. And also this content might help: Best Shaving Creams . I want to try the Lab Series one for my head after emptying my Nivea Shave Balm.

Offline sebrun

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »
I watch this site but don't usually say anything, but I had this issue and have found a method that cleared up my acne breakouts. 1) Always rinse your razor with alcohol after using. 2) Wash your head first. Then rub it with alcohol. 3) After you're done shaving, wash your head with Clean & Clear Continuous Control acne cleanser. I read a note online from a guy who cleared his own acne up using this and washing for a slow count of 45; that's what I do. 4) Lastly, again rub your head with alcohol. There's a bit of sting but not bad, AND it works to close your pours much more than Witch Hazel.  This has definitely worked for me. Good Luck.