Author Topic: How To Get Close Shave And Smooth Head?  (Read 50868 times)

Offline ShavedGuy

• Learning the way of Sly
How To Get Close Shave And Smooth Head?
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »
I shaved head Monday night and shaved it again Tuesday night and I showered first and shaved after but when shaving it still had stubble and not sure what I am doing wrong to get it totally off unless that's normal. It looks bald but close up it looks like stubble.  But it still feels rough like and not smooth. I am not sure if its razor and I use mach 3 turbo. I seen some try gilette fusion and proglide and which one is better than mach 3 turbo since i might need different kind? When i showered i used only warm water before shaving and do you need cold or is that after shaving?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:03:14 AM by ShavedGuy »

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: How To Get Close Shave And Smooth Head?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:43:04 AM »
I think it takes some practice, but it won't be perfect straight away. I personally use schick xtreme III which works for me, but that's no reason for you to change.  Just go slowly and you'll get there soon enough!

Good luck!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:25:45 AM »
@Shaved guy

A few pointers that may help solve your dilemma;

Try to shave against the grain (ATG).

You can also shave first with the grain (WTG) and then against the grain if you are still not getting close enough.

Use a different blade system.  Perhaps your current cartridge of choice is not working on the contours of your head.  Have you tried the HeadBlade?  It is great!  A double Edge Razor with a good quality blade is the ultimate close shave but it takes practice and is a little time consuming.

Learn the direction that your hair grows on your head and shave ATG on those areas.

Take your time, practice and persevere...

Good luck

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »
The perfect shave is a combo. Everyone of us has different routines and what works best for me might not for you

In the mix you should consider
- Weapon and blades of choice
-  Preparation: Scrub, warm water shower, ...
- Shaving technique: For the closest you need to go ATG
- Practice, practice and practice...

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:25:16 AM »
ShavedGuy, I had a similar situation at first. When shaving initially you don't want to use pressure because your scalp is so tender. Once you've been shaving ten days or so it will have toughened a bit and you can use a little more pressure to get a closer shave.

Also, I found that it simply takes a couple of weeks to learn about the scalp hair - which areas grow in which directions and how to best mow them down.

It'll all come together for you.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
I go wtg first, then atg. I finish up by going over any spots that I missed.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
Shaved Guy: The guys before me said it best....and you need some good old P&E.....Practice and experimentation....Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
Shavedguy, let us know how it goes...
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »
Shaving with the grain will leave you with stubble, it may look bald but when you feel it won't be completely smooth. In order to get a BBS (baby butt smooth) dome, you are going to have to shave against the grain. This may or may not cause irritation but if done incorrectly it most likely will and you will end up with razor burn. Make sure you have a clean, sharp razor and take your time. I find it's always good to boil a cup of water, n plonk your razor blade/ razor in there for one minute. Let it get a good clean ready for the next shave.

M.

Offline phantom1984

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:19:07 AM »
i use the shick quatro. I shave against the grain and when im done i use clear stick deoderent. It helps keep the razor burns down.

Offline balddoc

• Sly
  • Badass and bald to the bone.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:17 AM »
Have you tried using a shaving brush to apply your lather? I find I get a much closer and longer lasting shave when I use one. An ice-cube rub also gets the dome really smooth. Good luck bro, all will fall into place before you know it O0
Mike

Offline mcrayton

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
This is what I do- Since you are new at this, you might try shaving every 2 or 3 days to begin with. I have a full head of hair, but I noticed when I shaved it smooth, it was easier if I waited a little longer between shaving it. I also use the head blade and go against the grain. (if you use a head blade, be careful to always keep the pressure on the roller, and not on the blade! I know from experience lol) After I shave it in the shower, and am dry, I use a mixture of vitamin E oil, moisturizer, and a little olive oil, on my head and face. It protects my head, as I quickly go over any places I missed (I use a fussion for this though). In addition the oil adds shine, and is soothing. It works well for me.  Good luck!

Offline JamesCT

• Sly Jr.
    • Adam & Andy
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
Some tips to help smooth out stubborn spots...
    -Try pulling the skin taut while shaving
    -Use a smooth, careful motion with the razor
    -After shaving, apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer of your choice and then run the razor over your skin again.

Hope this helps.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »
Getting that real smooth feel can be challenging when you have a full head of hair- I have the same issue. After a little time of practice, you will find it gets better. I am over three months in and it does. One thing I notice is that making sure you use fairly hot water before applying HeadSlick seems to result in a very smooth shave. I shave every day to maintain the look and it is worth the time. Get a headblade and some headslick and be patient with yourself. It gets easier. Enjoy the look.

Offline gardner179

• Sly
  • uk sly
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
have you thought about the headblade, it gives a bone close shave, but it is not very forgiving if you have any zits or spots it shaves that close it will take the top of the spot so you need to take care O0 O0 O0