Author Topic: Headblade ATX + HB4 Review  (Read 5360 times)

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Headblade ATX + HB4 Review
« on: November 04, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
Hey guys! I hope it's alright to post my own review here, rather than a comment in another headblade review thread.

I just purchased a headblade ATX last night. I was hopeful to shave with it right away but some things came up and as it turns out I was out visiting one friends till nearly midnight, so I went without a shave.

Couldn't wait to get home and try it out today, and as soon as I got out of my uniform I got started! Here's what I used and how things went down. (This is my first time ever shaving my head with anything but electric, so please let me know if there's anything I would do differently in the future!)

-Headblade ATX
-HB4 cartridge
-Barbasol

Filled up the sink with hot water.
Wiped head down with hot wet towel.
Barbasol lather all over head and let sit for a minute or two. I have sensitive skin.
Put ATC on my dominant hand (right hand) and started at the base of the neck and came to the front of my forehead.
Went all the way around like this one pass on each section and then rinsed and re-lathered.
Switched its position in my hand and went from forehead to base of neck with one pass on each section.
Rinsed off my head and found a few spots that didn't quite get properly shaved on the two total passes so I touched up those spots with a dab of lather and some short strokes, and wrapped things up.

Got a shower and after drying off felt a few more missed spots and touched those up with my electric.
Applied Afta Shave and took the first "feel" of it....

Its incredible. The shave feels a ton better than electric, and looks closer. It may be the factor of a wet shave because I haven't done it in so long, or it may be that the blades are really better than electric. Overall I'd say it was a 9/10 cutting performance. Ease of use on the headblade ATX 9/10. Beginner friendly 10/10.

I suffered zero bleeding, nicks, or cuts. Slight burning sensation during the shower afterward,  out likely due to being the first blade shave ive done... ever... a little Afta Shave quieted that down well.

The HB4 is excellent, and I may use those cartridges occasionally and buy some for rare uses. For now, ive ordered a 100 count of Twin blade Pivot Personna cartridges for $12 on amazon. They're highly rated and headbladers have reviewed them quite positively. I intend to use those primarily once they arrive.

Over all its excellent. Very close, very easy Shave and zero damage to my noggin. Im quite happy, and im very glad I got a headblade.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
Re: Headblade ATX + HB4 Review
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »
I knew you would like the results of a razor. I am going to try my ATX out tomorrow!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
I sure do, it's pretty nice! Planning on using the electric for travel only.

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 05:12:32 AM »
I use and love those personna twin blade carts with my atx however they do not fit on the standard atx adapter.  You will need the atra/sport adapter from headblade.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 06:03:32 AM »
I just shaved my head using the HeadBlade ATX for the first time this morning.  I was excited about trying it I must say.  I washed my head like always before shaving.  I ran the same amount of hot water in my sink so I could rinse my razor. With my head wet, I applied Van Der Hagen Shave Butter like aways. I took the ATX and placed it on my hand like the HeadBlade webpage videos instructed.  I had a hard time keeping it in place because my fingers seem to be thicker than the allowed space on the ATX.  I guess it too could have been user error as it was my first time using it.  I started at the front of my head and drove it over and down to the neck line.  I could hear the razor doing it's job as it shaved off the hair.  I shaved my entire head in the same direction.  Rinsed my head and applied another application of Shave Butter.  I reversed the position of the ATX on my hand and shaved my head in the opposite direction, again hearing the sounds of the razor working away.  I took my other hand and was feeling for missed areas and found more than expected I must say.  I wet my head a little in those areas and went back over them.  I still had some problems with it staying on my fingers but I think that it's something that will improve over time or at least I hope so.  I didn't get the close shave like I have been with using my Schick Hydro 3 but I am sure it due to a different shaving system and getting use to using it.  I am going to continue to use the ATX. Overall I am happy with it but feel there's more of a learning curve with it than I had hoped for.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 07:23:03 AM »
good thoughts Dshupe, i can relate to the amount of missed spots. Im assuming i missed about have a dozen little sections due to my noobishness at razor shaving however, i wouldnt blame my problems on the ATX.... ill take the blame for now, haha.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 08:33:11 AM »
The Head Blade does have a learning curve to it.  Give it a week or two of shaves an you'll get the hang of it and won't miss too many spots.

I just used the Sport this morning.  Missed a few spots that don't show up until after I'm all done and dressed.  So I catch them with the Gillette fusion Pro as a touch up. I have a couple spots in the back where I can't feel any hair while the head it wet, but after all is dried off I can feel the spots that I missed.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »
same for me, in the back theres two particular spots where i cant tell when its wet but afterward i find them. I touched them up with electric panasonic shaver, worked great and is faster/easier on my skin than re-lathering or dry shaving it with a blade.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
I use the headblade but with dorco pace 4 blades, once the adaptor on the blades themself is removed, they give me a better shave and are quite a lot cheaper too.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 03:36:30 PM »
I've looked at those @slymike !

I purchased a 100 count of persona twin blades but I plan on ordering some Doric Pace 4 as well for when I want a quicker or better shave.

From what I've read, the twin blade personas work quite well though. Some even claim better than the HB3 or HB4.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
I've looked at those @slymike !

I purchased a 100 count of persona twin blades but I plan on ordering some Doric Pace 4 as well for when I want a quicker or better shave.

From what I've read, the twin blade personas work quite well though. Some even claim better than the HB3 or HB4.

A thread here  http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=27278.msg363454#msg363454 on how to remove part of the adaptor to make it work, it's very easy to do.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »
awww dude @slymike that is just awesome, thanks!!!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 05:07:50 AM »
Cool, I'm happy my tutorial is helpful!  If you have any questions about that process let me know.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 05:55:31 AM »
Will do! Thanks man.

I knew it was possible but didn't know exactly how to do it.

Enter your email address: