Author Topic: New Here  (Read 7257 times)

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
New Here
« on: April 14, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
Hey everyone,
Jason here, I’m 48 and just got my head shaved for the first time six days ago.  I am finding that I like it more and more each day, even though I’m still trying to adjust to the whole new look.  My story is different in that besides a bald spot on the back of my head and a steady thinning on top, I still more or less had a “full” head of hair when I decided to do this.  I remember my dad starting to lose his hair a number of years ago and then for many years doing a massive combover.  I swore that I would never do this, and I guess I am now taking extreme preemptive measures!  I usually grow out my beard over the winter, and this winter it was about the longest it’s ever been.  I knew it was going to be a big change getting it trimmed down, so when I made the appointment at the barber shop, I thought this could be my opportunity to make a big change to my hair as well.  I was still a little terrified, but what helped with my resolve was recently seeing local St. Baldrick’s participants, and figuring if these guys (and gals!) can do it, then so can I.  I was a bit shocked by the end result (as were my wife and kids) but I think we are all starting to get used to it.  Anyway, I have decided to commit to the 30-day rule, and will see where it goes after that.  I’m glad I found the SBG forum and all the great support and advice here!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
Welcome. Certainly  a big change but looks very neat. Stick with the 30 day rule.
Roger

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
Welcome Jason. Wow! I think the shaved head and beard trim look great. I'm not a big fan of the long beards.

You have a very nice shaped head. It takes some time to get used to being bald. I'm betting after 30 days you will want to keep it shaved. I still have most of my hair, but every morning I look forward to my daily headshave. Your looking sharp, you should wear it proudly.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 02:31:18 PM »
Welcome Jason, that is one hell of a change but it looks good.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
Welcome, Jason! I personally like big beards, but the shaved head and beard trim suits you well, nonetheless
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:47:45 PM »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and the positive feedback!  Actually most of the feedback I've gotten has been positive, just a lot of "that's a big change."  The funniest thing is a number of people I've worked with for years didn't even recognize me at first.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:37:25 PM »
It is amazing how much people don't notice.  I had a workmate who shaved off his beard of 30 years and the only comment he got was 'have you got new glasses'. Fortunately he only shaved because of concerns about a skin cancer and he grew it back soon after.
Roger

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 11:32:17 PM »
Welcome.

Shaved head looks awesome.  I hope you bring the big beard back!.

S

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
The shaved head looks great, and you will like it so much you will wonder why you waited as long as you did.  I shaved for the same reason also at around 48 (now 55).  I had no noticeable bald areas, but I could tell that my once very thick hair was no longer thick and I knew what was coming. I had also told myself years earlier I would never do a comb-over or the Bozo look and I would shave when the time came.  I did so and never looked back.  Now I am almost completely bald on top.

As to the beard, you may surmise from my photo that I am a big beard fan.  Your big beard looked awesome, but it still looks great trimmed short.  It must grow quickly to gain that much length over the winter.

Welcome to the forum.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »
Shaved head looks good . Big beard or shorter style, do what you like , both work well .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
Welcome, Jason
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
Thanks guys!  I do like the long beard and mustache, and my beard does grow really fast (which also means the hair on my noggin does too!), so I can get some pretty impressive length over the winter months.  I usually cut it back around this time of year because it gets to be more of a nuisance during the swimming / hiking / backpacking / camping season.  Once that starts to wind down at the end of the summer, I start growing it out again.  Although I have to say I am really enjoying my current low maintenance routine with both the short beard and the shaved head.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:17 PM »
Good to hear you are enjoying your new look. How have the reactions been? I found family and friends that have known me for a long time had the hardest time accepting my bald head. Every new person you meet just think that is your usual style. After nearly 4 years, only a couple old friends still don't like it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 03:52:36 PM »
Reactions have been almost 100% positive.  After getting over the initial shock of it, most people have had only good things to say – even my wife!  There are a couple of guys in my office who have been sly for some time, and they have been really supportive.  At this point, the only really vocal critics have been my kids, and I think it’s just going to take some time for them to come around.  Of course, they are also both teenagers, so I probably shouldn't expect them to approve of anything I do right now!