Author Topic: Search for a new computer  (Read 5493 times)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
Search for a new computer
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
Our Old Gateway desktop computer seems to be about ready to die. I went out to an Apple store last week to look at some models. I could not believe how busy they were. I am not a computer techie so I would welcome any advise anyone could send my way. I noticed how much more Apple computers are cost wise than regular PC's. Does the higher price justify the additional expense?

We both have liked the PC Desk top computer that we have and the Windows XP operating platform. I also have a TOshiba laptop that operates on a Windows Vista platform which I really don't care for.

I have never owned or used an Apple Computer before. I have heard a lot of good things about them.

I know that Ipads seem to be the new big thing to use but I don't know anything about them.

TI welcome any advice that anyone can give us. Thanks for any good advise that you can send my way.

O0 O0 O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Search for a new computer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »
Hi, Mr. Joe.....The last computer I bought was a Compaq at Best Buy back in April 2011. It was $299 plus $59 for a one-year warranty. I also bought Norton Antivirus for $99 for two years. The warranty and the Norton is optional, but I didn't want to have to reinvest in another computer for at least two years (my previous one, an HP 5000, lasted from July 2006 to April 2011 though I did have it repaired in Summer 2009). In my opinion, depending on what you want to spend, Best Buy gives great values (I don't know where you live or if there is a Best Buy in your area) but Office Depot also sells good computers with nice warranties (I bought one for my mom for her birthday last year) Good luck and PM me if you have any questions!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with an Apple Mac. Just be aware that the Mac OS is very different from Windows and may take some getting used to.

You can also boot into Windows, or run Windows in a virtual machine, if you need to run any Windows applications.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »
Has anyone done any research on that Google Chromebook for $249 (but sold out everywhere and on backorder)?

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »
Apples are more expensive than PCs, but they seem to operate much better, that is, their operating system just seems to be better designed.  My wife and daughters all have MacBook Pros and love them.  My younger daughter's is nearly four years old and she hasn't had any trouble with it.

IPads are great for using the Internet, but do not have the capability to do certain things like excel spreadsheets or use certain software like Adobe Flashplayer. They are great for lots of other things though.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:13:41 PM »
I'm sure someone has better and more technical advice for what to get, but you have to ask yourself "What do I need this for?"

If you're doing run-of-the-mill word processing/Office type stuff and web browsing, then you can get a reasonably fast low to mid-range PC with Windows 7 for under $500.  If you want to take it on the road you can find a PC laptop for around the same deal.  If you need a multimedia machine for video or audio production you probably want to look into a Mac.  If you want a gaming machine make sure you have plenty of RAM and a nice graphics card for either platform.

Check sites like Wal-Mart, Newegg, and Tiger Direct and find yourself a great deal!
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I bought a Dell lptop earlier this year and I'm very ssitsfied with it.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 05:10:25 AM »
I have used Macs for many years - had PC's earlier in the MS/DOS era which just wouldn't do for as in my profession, chemist.  Have like the Mac products - easy to use - different I am sure from what you are not used to.  Great for Graphics which is the original reason I switched to Macs as did all my colleagues.  They are more expensive but come with substantial free software which is specifically designed for the Mac.   There are no viruses for the Mac and one doesn't have to worry about virus infection.  Very stable operating system based on UNIX which was designed  for main frame computers with multiple users.  Apple stores are usually busy - I deal with Mac only stores in which employees have more time for you.

Offline MMArob

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 05:35:36 AM »
I'd go Dell for regular windows systems, Alienware or "do it yourself" for gaming and Apple if you want an easy to use thing with some graphics drawback.

Rob

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
Also, I recommend against buying these subscription-based security suites offered by companies like McAfee and Norton. 

You can find much more efficient and lightweight programs that offer just as much virus protection, spyware sweeping, and ad blocking capabilities for FREE online.  I used McAfee for a few years and felt that a (steep) yearly subscription to their service wasn't warranted.  Their security suite ate up so much of my system resources during scans and definition updates that it was getting ridiculous.  I use Microsoft Security Essentials now for virus protection and my firewall and am very satisfied.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
Also, I recommend against buying these subscription-based security suites offered by companies like McAfee and Norton. 

You can find much more efficient and lightweight programs that offer just as much virus protection, spyware sweeping, and ad blocking capabilities for FREE online.  I used McAfee for a few years and felt that a (steep) yearly subscription to their service wasn't warranted.  Their security suite ate up so much of my system resources during scans and definition updates that it was getting ridiculous.  I use Microsoft Security Essentials now for virus protection and my firewall and am very satisfied.

I agree Bill. I use the same thing.

Slynito

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
I've written before about my horrible luck with Apple/Mac products. But I'm a big fan of Windows XP, it's my favorite.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
Thank you all for your great feedback on buying a new computer. I found your comments very helpful and they will help em make the right decision.

O0 O0 O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »
Has anyone done any research on that Google Chromebook for $249 (but sold out everywhere and on backorder)?

Hey Rob,

I've been trying to get my hands on a Chromebook to play with.  You think I would be able to given that I live 15 min from Google HQ.  I have a few friends that work there so I'm thinking of calling them up to see if I can stop by and get access to one.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline just4fun

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 11:42:59 PM »
If you are still in search of computer that you may need to use, I can recommend you to have a laptop that suits for your needs. I owned a lot of laptops before and never been satisfied until I got this ASUS N550J 15.6-Inch Laptop. The following are the specifications:

Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz (Turbo 3.4 GHz).
1TB Hard Drive. 8GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX850M 2GB-VRAM.
15.6-Inch Full-HD IPS Touchscreen Display. 720P HD Webcam.
3x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI, 1x MiniDisplay. SDXC Card Reader. 802.11 A/C, Gigabit ethernet port.
Aluminum body construction. Includes external plug-in mini-Subwoofer.

I've looked into prices and found at http://www.laptoprunner.com that it's around $800-$900. Despite of its price, I can say that this is the best and very powerful computer I've ever owned.