Author Topic: Need some tips on maintaining a healthy bald head  (Read 32762 times)

Offline pistolpete

• Learning the way of Sly
Need some tips on maintaining a healthy bald head
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a good routine to maintain a healthy bald head. I am pretty new at this so I could use some advise.

How often should I be changing blades? I use the head blade
What can I use to eliminate the red bumps Ive been getting on the sides and back of my head?
What should I be applying on my head before/after the shave?
Any other products I should be using? in the morning? at night prior to bed?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Need some tips on maintaining a healthy bald head
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
A good rule is treat your bald head the same as you'd treat your face.  Get yourself a good exfoliant (I like St. Ives Apricot Scrub), a good astringent (I personally recommend Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel).  I know that here in the Chicago area The Vitamin Shoppe carries Thayers.

After shaving I wash my face and head with Anthony Logistics Citrus soap, but any mild facial soap will do.  I change blades at least once a week.  Depending on how thick and how much hair you have you might need to do it more often, or perhaps less often.

Last, but hardly least use a good moisturizer with an SPF factor year round.

Here's the routine.  Exfoliate, shave (in the shower), wash off the shaving oils, gels, then cold rinse.  Once out of the shower apply astringent, leave on a few minutes, then another cold rinse.  Dry your head, then moisturize.  Follow that routine and you should have a fine irritation free dome.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:02:40 AM »
I echo Red on the St. Ives Scrub.
Most guys get about a weeks worth of shaves from a blade..... only you will know when it truly needs changing.
I good shave cream is a must........ HeadSlick and BaldGuyz Sahve Gel are my favorites.
A moisturizer after words is good.... I like BaldGuyz Gel and Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:52 AM »
Wash your nice clean dome at least twice a day with a mild anti-acne soap, such as Cuticura.  Also, make sure you change your pillowcase at least once a week, the hair doesn't absorb the natural scalp oils anymore and it builds up on the pillow.

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:01:35 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it!

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »
Hey Guys,

Ive been using all the tips you guys gave me, but I still cant seem to get rid of these red bumps on the sides and back of my head. Ive been washing my head twice a day with a mild soap. Ive been using the witch hazel after shaves. Ive been applying benzoyl peroxide 10% and changing my pillowcase, but I seem to be getting more of them. Any adivse?

Offline 440satellite

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
This may sound odd, and I get a lot of flack from my non sly friends about it, but try using a shampoo on the dome prior to shaving followed by a liberal slathering of conditioner allowing that to sit up there while you take care of the rest of your washing.  After that lather up with Headslick or whatevery brand dome shaving soap you use and go to town.

I found that the conditioner made a difference for me.  After the shower I just use a 50/50 mix of hypo alergenic hand cream and clear unsented aloe gel and smooth it in.  That is the only attention I give the scalp and it never dries out.  The aloe gives a nice slight shine too.

One other thing to make sure your not doing is scrubbing your head with the towel like you did when the hair was up there.  That does seem to push the hair follacles around and can cause irritation, or at least it did on me.

One final $0.02, my face will break out like I'm 14 and just hit puberty again if I use any canned shaving cream.  I have to use the old fashioned soap puck and brush on my face.  Maybe your dome does not like something your slapping on it.  Try some other brands too.  It may take a while to figure out the best mix of products for your application.

And I had the bumps too for about 2-3 months  until the skin got used to being shaved.

Hope this helps some.    Later,  JR

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
Do you rinse off the shampoo and conditioner or do you apply the headslick on top of all that?

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 11:43:45 PM »
Hey Pete! What kind of razor are you using? For some folks just changing out the brand/blade combo completely puts an end to the bumps and irritation. Another thought ... you might want to let your head heal completely for a couple of days before dragging a sharp blade across it again. And yet another thought ... apply some soothing Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm after shaving. That stuff really calms the skin down.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline PopeyeRay

• Sly.Popeye
  • Sly Jr.
  • Just da way Iam
    • Popeye Ray
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:02 AM »
Evryone here has good advise. Like said before, most guys get about a weeks worth of shaving from a blade, of course this depends on your hiars coursness.  Taking care of the dome is important too. Alot of guys use the headblade headlube. I use it, but sometimes I find the menthol tends to irritate a little. So What I do is I use a Shampoo/conditioner . Theres two good poitnts to this IMO. One, you get to allow the shampoo/conditoner to clean your dome, iits not expensive, and actually does quite a good job of lubercating while being easy to rins off the blades. My sons are swimmers, and part of their routine is to shave thier bodies because hair on the body slows ya down in water, but anyways,,,, The tip to use conditioner came from the coach. I thought it was odd, but it really works quite well.

For after the actual shave, making sure you use a moisturiser ( sorry for the misspelling ) . Try to stay away from things that leave a residue.  Tea tree Oil, ( at least for me ) does very well.  Befor the tea tree oil I use a moisture gel such as Bald Guyz moisture gel.

I use to have those bumps too on the back & sides, but I found the blade I was using were the cause. I was using some cheaper brand razors on my heaadblade. So I went and bought the better quaity ones and the bumps disapeared. Ya get what ya pay for I guess the saying goes, LoL
Anyways, Im sure you'll find your own routine, maybe take a bit from this guy or that guy will work for ya.

P@^
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef Custom Images]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/100224/purcaced2d22244c87d.gif[/img]

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
This may sound odd, and I get a lot of flack from my non sly friends about it, but try using a shampoo on the dome prior to shaving followed by a liberal slathering of conditioner allowing that to sit up there while you take care of the rest of your washing.  After that lather up with Headslick

Same as me, works nice.  Also consider that you may have an allergy to some ingredient, one guy, RazorX found he was allergic to Headslick! 

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
I just put up a review here in the review section about a new Sensitive Skin Face Lotion put out by Neutrogena. It can probably be found in Walgreens and the like. I think it works great- especially on the head. It has a sunscreen, no alcohol, claims to help razor burn and bumps and won't clog pores. Think about trying it out. Good luck!
- Eric W-

Offline 440satellite

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »
I always rinse the shampoo, then condition, let it hang out for a while, rinse and then apply the headslick.  Definately let it go for a couple days to heal up.  I too have found that when I notched a bump on my head I had to let it go all weekend with out shaving to heal.  Usually my monday morning I was ready to go again, just don't put a lot of pressure on the areas.

Another good point was the blades, triples tend to screw my head up but double atra blades don't.  I can't use headblade blades, they massacre me.

Everyone is different, you just have to do some trial and error before you hit your ideal combo!  Good luck and stay SLY   O0