Author Topic: Cost of shaving  (Read 11878 times)

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
Cost of shaving
« on: October 04, 2006, 08:23:21 AM »
I always get a line from people "well I bet you save money on shampoo and haircuts."

Now I thought about it and at first it seemed true, but then after analizing it, I actually spend as much money as other people. Have you see the cost of the Fusion razors???

After buying the razors, the shaving cream, the skin lotion for the head and sunscreen, I drop just as much money as I did going to get a haircut.

Anybody else have this problem?

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: Cost of shaving
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 10:41:49 AM »
Noner, that's an interesting and valid point. Indeed, we bald guys don't spend our money on things normal people spend on (eg haircut etc), but we do buy our accessoires and these cost.

Frankly, I didn't go bald to save money on haircuts, but I sat down the other day and calculated how much it costs
me to be bald (per month):

2 packs (6 each) Extreme 3 razors = 11 Euro (13 USD)
2 tubes Nivea shaving cream = 3.50 Euro (4.20 USD)
--------------------------
Total = 14.50 Euro (17.40 USD)

And that's all I spend each month for my head - I don't use any other lotions or sunscreens (I wear hats).

Hm...if I calculate the amount I spent on hair products before I went bald:

2 shampoos = 8 Euro
1 Haircut = 15 Euro (hey, I'm a tightwad)
--------------------------
Total = 23 Euro (27.60 USD)

As you can see, shaving is only slightly cheaper, you don't save a lot of money compared to
the usual haircare.
And I'm only using disposable 3 blade razors (these are relatively cheap), so if you use the
more expensive ones (Quattro, Fusion etc) the costs would be about the same as or a little higher than the costs
for standard haircare.

However, there's one factor that has been overlooked: "regular shaving", i.e. shaving your face. Those who shave their heads usually shave their face with the same razor (during the same session). And all men (well, almost all) shave their faces. So if men with hair spend the same amount of money on razors (and shaving cream) for shaving as us bald guys, then we can exclude the razors from the equation and it all boils down to skin care products. And that's a miniscule amount, I guess. Perhaps 5 Euro per month? And we don't pay for haircuts. So we do save a good deal of money...

It all depends how demanding you are regarding razors. If you shave every day and if you only use the Fusion and each blade only once...then things can get rather expensive, naturally.

PS: by the way, I checked out your personal homepage and I liked it. You're one funny fella. I like stand-up comedians.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:59:02 AM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 01:17:28 AM »
good points, I agree that if you are already shaving your face (and neck like the Yeti lol ugh) then the costs to do your head as well, make it cheaper than haircutting, not too mention all the cons to having hair again. Bald4Life! (and hair covered elesewhere for life too 8-( hehe)
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline sarcazm

• don't sweat it bald headed!!
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
depending on how sensitive your head is, a razor can last quite a long time! as far as i am concerned, if you firstly buy razors in bulk (costco- mach 3 blades like 24 razors for about 35 bucks!) you start out right! secondly, the only place to shave in my opinion before a day or night out is in the shower. The steam shoftens the stuble and it makes for a nice close shave...

hell... i shave everday and i have not bought razors in several months. i beat the hell out of the blades and get a consistant smooth shave! mach 3 is my definate fav!

also i have found that if you use body soap or hair conditioner as your cream, your head also stays moisturized. I prefer oil of oly body wash with the shea butter!

my cost, compared to the days of hair is down in a major way! no damn shampoo, hairspray, brushes, haircuts, hair ties (i used to have a pony tail), etc. i will never go back!
mike b.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 10:47:21 PM »
Shaving your head is just like keeping your hair styled.  You have the products and time invested.  The bottom line is... nothing beat the bald head see the other post for detailed list of benefits
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 03:40:21 PM »
it is alittle more expensive for me but is sooooooo worth it. hair sucks!!!!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline SBG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »
DE razor blades cost about nothing compared to their newer gilette counterparts and a straight razor doesn't even need its blade changed.  ;D

If you're finding your gillette Mx or Fusion to expensive I'd really try the DE route if I were you. If you go with the whole 'wetshaving' package, you'll no doubt find that you'll get better, softer skin and a smoother shave without effort. (not making it up, it worked for me and many of my friends. :) )

If you want to know more about shaving with a DE you can visit http://www.shavemyface.com & http://www.badgerandblade.com. If interested in straight razors, please join me at http://www.straightrazorplace.com:D

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
When I grow hair I spend about $16/mo. on shampoo and $8/mo. on Mach3 blades (+ a 1 time $12 one time charge for the razor itself). I also spent $4/mo. on shaving cream. SO my start up cost for shaving and hair care would be:

16 + 12 + 8 + 4 = $40

and a monthly upkeep of :

16 + 8 + 4 = $28

When I started using my HeadBlade and their fine products I spent a one time razor purchase of $15. I spend $7 every 2 months for blades*, $9 every 2 months for shaving cream**, $9 every 2 months for scalp exfoliator***.

So my start cost for shaving and head care would be:

7 + 9 + 9 ÷ 2 = 12.50 + 15 = $27.50

and a monthly upkeep of:

7 + 9 + 9 ÷ 2 = $12.50

So, in the final analysis I saved $12.50 on start up and save an average of $15.50/month. WOW, I never broke it down before now, thanks!

* HeadBlade razors use the Gillette Atra blade for replacement. I have found that nearly every major grocery store chain offers it’s own in house knock off brand of Gillette Atra blades. They sell for about $7 for 8 blades. Shaving both my head and face with the HB I go through about 1 blade per week. That’s 8 weeks (2 months) per pack on average. Since this expense is every 2 months rather than monthly, I had to divide the cost by 2.

** 1 8oz. Bottle of HeadSlick shaving cream lasts me about 2 months. In the shower I use a lot less of it per shave than I do any other shaving cream. Since it takes 2 months to use it up I have to divide the cost by 2.

***  Since I no longer buy shampoo, but I DO by HeadShed exfoliator exclusively for my dome. I thought it was only fair to include that cost in place of shampoo. Since it takes 2 months to use it up I have to divide the cost by 2.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:45:47 PM by Vash »
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Bronco

• Sly Jr.
  • My WigsforKids Donation
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 04:00:01 AM »
I won't be shaving my head for the charity event I'm participating in for about 5 weeks. I was pricing the products I've seen discussed here in case I try to shave myself. I also thought I'd get a few estimates from my local barbers in case I decide to go that route. One charges $14, one $15 for a wet shave. Not too steep.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »
That sounds pretty reasonable Bronco
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 05:46:09 PM »
I think starting up with the Headblade and for me to get a Start up pack it was like $100 Canadian, however I have only purchased 4 cans of HEADBLADE HEADSLICK, it has a crazy long life
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

bmwgsa

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 06:34:43 PM »
Have you see the cost of the Fusion razors???

I agree that the Fusion can get pricey, but it's what works for me.

I save a bunch by buying the cartridges off e-bay, I just get everything else "retail"

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »

I save a bunch by buying the cartridges off e-bay, I just get everything else "retail"
Me too.  Just got 40 Fusion cartridges for $50.  Pretty cheap!

Offline Shiny

• Sly
  • Celebrate the bean
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 01:16:07 PM »

Me too.  Just got 40 Fusion cartridges for $50.  Pretty cheap!

Wow that is cheap.  I really don't care about the cost.  I know it is costing me way more now because I used to get only 1 or 2 haircuts a year and in the last couple of years would just shave to pigshave once a year so it was free.  I used to use an electric razor and would replace the blade and screen once a year or maybe two years.  When I started shaving clean last month, I was just using my electric but the old remington couldn't handle it and calved after about 3 o4 shaves.
But like I said, the cost is irrelevant, I'm happy and comfortable  O:O
I'm Brian and so is my wife!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »
I know I save money.    If I had hair I would at minimum spend 15 dollars a month for a haircut.   Shaving I spend 5 bucks at best.   And that's if I run through 2 things of shaving cream.     

That is not counting if I used gel/shampoo on hair as often as I should/would.   Then make that 20-25 bucks a month vs anywhere from 2.50-5 dollars.   It would be 7.50-10 dollars if I bought aftershave but my head really doesn't need it anymore.    And stuff like headlube glossy/aftershave would not run out monthly either.

Plus truthfully if I had hair, I'd need two haircuts a month because it grows fast.   

The only way I wouldn't save money is if I used clippers and did it myself, and that's not nearly as fun/as cool as being sly.   

bald for life

Enter your email address: