Author Topic: The great head shape debate!  (Read 219148 times)

BALDANDRE

Re: The great head shape debate!
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »
@Joe-91...the bald head looks killer on you though...forget the head shape..overall SLY is for you brother! O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »
I seem to notice any small bump on people's heads on bald scalps in real life

I'm glad you're not judging my noggin, your standards are just too high ;D.  Seriously, you admit you took the picture from a bad angle.  Head on, it all looks fine, and the "bad" shot is more "individual" than any problem, IMO.  That "bump" as you call it will soon be in the active MPB zone, and a ridge of hair around it would frame it and bring it to everyone's immediate attention, head on or otherwise.  Shaved, it's just part of the whole package.  Since you're destined to be a bald man, it's your choice, but if it were me, to the wood, hide it in plain sight.

JOE-91

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »
I do like the sly look head on, and that's why it's a shame man, I could move on so much easier if my head wasn't like this. When I catch a bad glimpse of my head shape it eats me up. Going bald at 19 is bad enough, having a bumpy head is icing on the cake. You stand out being bald right? so I can imagine myself being not only the 'bald guy' but also the 'bald guy with the bumpy head' now. I know there's nothing that I can do to change it, and I HAVE to deal with it but as anyone on here will know that had trouble with going bald, it's not easy to just ignore it and move on. SaintC your headshape look perfect!

By the way, that dark stubble I have on my head is 1 DAY after I shaved it with a Gillette Fusion. It's gonna be a bitch to maintain when I have the horse shoe!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:16:04 AM by JOE-91 »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »
SaintC your headshape look perfect!

You only see the "good" sides--unlike a lot of the guys here who keep the less than complimentary shots and are quite honest about it, I don't and I'm not about to start.  :x! I don't show the scar from a large skin cancer in back, I don't emphasize the hole or depression in front where another two were removed.  I rarely let anyone consider how long and large my noggin is,  7 7/8's hats, generally the largest available, are VERY tight!  So the take away is that everyone has some problems--yours isn't particularly noticeable except to you, and the same for me. 

By the way, that dark stubble I have on my head is 1 DAY after I shaved it with a Gillette Fusion. It's gonna be a bitch to maintain when I have the horse shoe!

I probably would have more of a defined horseshoe shadow, except that time is taking care of it--it's going gray :'( as has my beard.    And maintenance, there is a benefit of early mpb that is rarely considered, if ever.  If you start very early, then  at some point you're going to have very little to maintain on the "runway."  Essentially just the sides and that should be easy.  I, and others who start in their mid-twenties to thirties generally still have to fight some sparse growth on the top, and it becomes velcro first,  Why can't it drop off too :/O?  Not enough to grow a head of hair, but a pain in the A$$ to clean up :P.  So,  the take away is you really aren't in bad shape--stop worrying and fretting about what was hair, and start living B@%d

JOE-91

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »
You have to appreciate that your an older guy, when I'm older my scalp will probably end up becoming worn with anything from sun damage, to scars - On top of a badly shaped head, that is. In all fairness, I have been shaving my head to a 0.5 for a while now and nobody has actually said I have an odd headshape, my family are very supportive and so maybe it can't be that bad. Even the most caring people can say the wrong thing when things genuinely do look bad, so this leaves me with some encouragement. But when I look at it I can't help but think that unless I regrow my hair, or wear a hairpiece I'm not going to be happy again. It's something that I never, ever imagined I would have to face, a WEIRD SHAPED HEAD? it's totally new. I see plenty of young guys that look good that are balding and they always have the head/ face shape for it - I feel like I can't ever be in that bracket now, and instead it will be a huge impairment on my overall looks.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »
You have to appreciate that your an older guy, when I'm older my scalp will probably end up becoming worn with anything from sun damage, to scars - On top of a badly shaped head, that is.

I fretted about my big head from the time I was five years old--you are not the start, nor the end of the world.  And yes, I'm an older guy--that gives me some perspective on not only the ravages of time-& I've been ravaged--but also what really counts as a disfigurement.  You are not disfigured in anyway except in your own mind.  

In all fairness, I have been shaving my head to a 0.5 for a while now and nobody has actually said I have an odd headshape, my family are very supportive and so maybe it can't be that bad. Even the most caring people can say the wrong thing when things genuinely do look bad, so this leaves me with some encouragement. But when I look at it I can't help but think that unless I regrow my hair, or wear a hairpiece I'm not going to be happy again. It's something that I never, ever imagined I would have to face, a WEIRD SHAPED HEAD? it's totally new. I see plenty of young guys that look good that are balding and they always have the head/ face shape for it - I feel like I can't ever be in that bracket now, and instead it will be a huge impairment on my overall looks.

You're obsessing on this--no body else sees it--get it, you've said you've even got family support--lots of the guys here, including me, don't have that luxury.  This is your mental image of yourself, it's almost body dysmorphic disorder but I don't think it's gotten to that stage yet.  But that bit about growing hair ;D--impossible, genes are not going to cooperate, and wear a wig :Xo! :Xo! :Xo!--talk to the guys here who did, regret it, have given it up or are going to soon, not even mentioning the cost :o.  Don't worry about the "other guy" I assure you they can point out faults in their domes too.  And it will only be a "huge impairment" to your looks if you let it.  This is all about confidence--it's only hair, it's gone, get on with life--maybe you'll get to be a happy "older guy" too one day. ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:34:37 PM by saintc »

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
@JOE-91:
Sure, you're young and maybe still unsure how you can find the way through your life, you want to be like anybody else, and then you discover what you consider a huge disadvantage and have the feeling that you are doomed.

I think everyone has to go through a phase where he has to get comfortable with his adult body. It might be easier for some and harder for others. But there is no choice.

Don't let worrying about your look distract you from enjoying your youth. Focus on your strengths and your likes. You'll be fine.

That's all I can say.

P.S. Here's a virtual head rub for you.  8)
Ach du meine Nase!

usmcpelon

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2010, 05:48:20 AM »
What about the shape of the back of your head.  Do any of you guys have the back of your head flat.  I do, and it bothers me alot.  I see alot of bald guys with well rounded backs, but when I see mine in the mirror it make me want to grow my hair back.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:46:28 PM by usmcpelon »

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
Hijack:
Bald Andre, Are you back in the sly fold??

Welcome back from flat top land to slyville!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
Ok here's mine --

usmcpelon

« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
Can some one tell what you think about my flat back of the head.  It make me feel uncomfortable and I'm ready to let my hair grow out.  I am really self concious of the flat back of my head.  I think it make me look deformed.  What do you think guys.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »
Can some one tell what you think about my flat back of the head.  It make me feel uncomfortable and I'm ready to let my hair grow out.  I am really self concious of the flat back of my head.  I think it make me look deformed.  What do you think guys.

You kiddin'? Looks fine shaved smooth..do what makes you happy...shaved or marine horseshoed...all looks cool!

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2010, 01:20:15 AM »
Hello, BaldAndre!

Your nice looking bald dome is back, congrats  O0

J

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2010, 07:15:17 AM »
I am envious of your perfect shaped head, you got nothing to worry about man it looks great.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »

Quite the opposite here--I was worried my skull stuck out too far in the back and envied the guys whose heads are flat in the back.  As I've said earlier in this thread, we all see that "bad" things in our appearance that not only aren't noticed by others but even thought to be a plus.  So, let it go, you look great shaved to the wood--I think you'd look a lot older w/ a full head of hair and you would look rather silly, like you were trying too hard to look young w/ a military short horseshoe--the old mutton dressing up like a lamb ;D