Author Topic: Newb question  (Read 3999 times)

hawkeye

Newb question
« on: October 17, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
Hi all,

Well, it's not been a week yet.  And, I'm loving my smooth dome.  After reading through the forums, I figured I would go shopping for some protection.  So after three stores, and a hundred dollars later...I have to keep myself in check as I get a bit obsessed when it comes to new hobbies.  It kind of creeped me out that I am treating this as a hobby.  But after I started thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that I should just have fun with it.  And, I am but I have a question to you all.... 

I have sensitive skin at least on the face.  I actually don't shave my face more than 2-3 times a week because I start getting razor burn.  Not sure how my dome is gonna be. 

Plus, I'm a sweaty guy.  Here's where my question starts....

I sweat at the drop of a hat, which is annoying since I started balding.  If I get in front of a group for my job (project manager) I find that I get a bit sweaty on the forehead until I calm down.  I'm a very extroverted kinda guy, so I am not sure why this happens.  Of course, I get the same way when I am pissed off.  It's like I wear my emotions on my sleeve.  I've learned to just take a moment and breathe, but it kinda sucks that people can see they affected me like that.  What I'm worried about is moisturizer's that will make my head a slimey or whatever when this happens. 

Anybody else in the same boat as me, and what do you use that works for you?

Today's shopping included:
Headblade stuff -
Headblade Shaver (I have two now the new one with wheels and an old one with the pad that i never used)
Headblade wipes
Headblade shaving gel (metholated which was all they had)
Headblade wipes
BaldGuyz Shaving clear gel
BaldGuyz moisturizer
BaldGuyz wipes

Was going to buy the Nivea or Gillette post shave lotions but figured I would try the above stuff first...

I usually shave my face with king of shaves k-series oil.  Sometimes, I mix it with some shaving cream, but I like the oil as it lets me keep the lines on my facial hair (whatever style I have at the time).  Also helps with the razor burn.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Newb question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »
Hi all,

Well, it's not been a week yet.  And, I'm loving my smooth dome.  After reading through the forums, I figured I would go shopping for some protection.  So after three stores, and a hundred dollars later...I have to keep myself in check as I get a bit obsessed when it comes to new hobbies.  It kind of creeped me out that I am treating this as a hobby.  But after I started thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that I should just have fun with it.  And, I am but I have a question to you all.... 

I have sensitive skin at least on the face.  I actually don't shave my face more than 2-3 times a week because I start getting razor burn.  Not sure how my dome is gonna be. 

Boy, that "creeped me out" brought back memories--even now if I can I check out the shaving supplies regularly.  But I found Shave Secret that way, and notice M5 razors, and bought one when some of the guys recommended it.  It's normal, and sort of fun--I've got a drawer full of stuff that didn't work out as well as I thought it might. 

I found I use some things from many sources.  Love my Headslick, but I now add a little glycerine to the HS in the brush [yeah, I bought a shaving brush--works wonders]then work up the lather after some Shave Secret.
Nothing else from Headblade worked for me, and that's your standard, what works for you.
Then I use an astringent--keeping it clean keeps it clear is my motto.
I have always had skin problems, so I use a mix of 10%benzoyl peroxide and hydrocortizone lotion as a precaution against any problems, and finish w/ Nivea Extreme--really nice stuff.
My problem is I travel a lot for business, and carry on limits, 3oz in a 1 quart bag require some adjustment.  I carry a cake of shaving soap, and put some gylcerine in a small container.  For some reason Nivea Extreme comes only in 3.3 oz containers, so I take another Nivea product that is in a 2 oz tube.  Most of my 1 quart bag is shaving stuff ;D ;D ;D

hawkeye

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »
Was wondering if anyone used a shaving brush.  I have one or two of those when I started using a safety razor, shaving soap, brush for my face a few years ago.  The brush works well on the whiskers.  Sounds like it work on the dome, too.  I don't think I'd use the safety razor on my head though.  That just sounds bloody.  LOL

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
Was wondering if anyone used a shaving brush.  I have one or two of those when I started using a safety razor, shaving soap, brush for my face a few years ago.  The brush works well on the whiskers.  Sounds like it work on the dome, too.  I don't think I'd use the safety razor on my head though.  That just sounds bloody.  LOL

Some do actually, but for this Dome, is M5 only. 

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »
Was wondering if anyone used a shaving brush.

I've tried it as it was recommended by some guys here but it didn't work for me so I'm back to hand-on-skin action with the Headslick.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Stevo

• Agile, Mobile, Audiophile
  • Sly
    • Country Road of Life
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:13:31 PM »

I started using a brush a few months ago after reading some of the threads on here, and it works wonderfully.  My full lather setup is the brush, a large chowder mug, and 3 pumps of HeadSlick.  I've thought abou using glycerin with it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  It takes some practice and testing to find the best way for you to use the brush, but one key is to make sure the brush gets nice and wet.

Offline jazzper

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
Was wondering if anyone used a shaving brush.

I've tried it as it was recommended by some guys here but it didn't work for me so I'm back to hand-on-skin action with the Headslick.
It's don't work for me too.