Author Topic: If you could give any advice to someone who is balding or thinking of shaving...  (Read 213330 times)

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
 ;) Very Simple . 

Shave it .   O0 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Elxar

• Learning the way of Sly
Just go for it. Bald and Proud.

Offline F77Scot

• Sly
  • Bald and Bearded...and loving it!
Go for it, you won't be disappointed....

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
'Why don't you just get rid of it, you'll look better..'is usually the advice I give.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Just do it.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
Do it  -  you may enjoy a shiny bald head  - -and you must always remember: it will grow back if you do not like it - - -

prixmo93

Would probably say the same thing that a sly friend said to me, "nobdoys going to buy a house on that cul-de-sac."  In other words give it a try whats the worst that could happen, you find out you LOVE it!

Offline dodger

• dodger
  • Sly Jr.
  • after
Hey SLY Members

It's been awhile since I joined in..This year marks my Third Anniversary of GOING SLY...Not an easy decision but one that has changed my life forever...So, for the newbees out there and anyone else that might be interested,
here is my story....There are several short chapters...This is the first part....Hope you find it helpful as well as somewhat humerous....Thanks

dodger 

Follickly Challenged   
What’s more important than being happy?  What makes you happy?  I was 50 years old and didn’t have a clue.  I needed help and so my journey began to find happiness.  In my case, I thought happiness was having hair.  Sometimes the intended path is not the one we’re on.  However, we may not know that it’s the correct path until we reach the end of the journey.  I took a fork in the road and believed it was the right way to go until I realized that I was still not happy.  We learn by our mistakes, so I took the opportunity to get on a good path. 

A Hair Razing Experience

Nothing like a shower in the morning to get you going for another exciting day.  You want to look your best and, fortunately, it’s shampoo day. 

As the shampoo hits my hand, I can’t wait to rub it through my hair—but wait!  What’s going on?  My hand is full of my thick dark hair!  I look down at the tub and watch my hair float down the drain.  Am I going bald?!?  For those who have experienced this phenomenon, I think you would agree that it is like a heavy weight boxer’s punch to the gut—almost paralyzing.
As each day passed, I was using less shampoo to clean my thinning hair and more Drano to clean the drain.  As this scene continued to repeat itself, my confidence began to weaken, and it was becoming increasingly difficult to look at myself in the mirror, let alone make eye contact with associates, friends and family.  I was only 20 years old and had no idea what to do, so I was about to try...everything.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
 O0  Good story dodger and nice to see you back.   O0  You said it all "shave it " ;) 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline lsflipper

• Sly Jr.
If you are thinking about shaving your head that means you really want to. Just go for it. It's not dangerous or anything like that. If you don't like it then throw a ball cap on it until it grows back, but you should keep it shaved for at least a month to give yourself and others a chance to get used to it. I'll bet you will love being the bald guy.
Larry the bald guy

Offline merase

• Sly Guy in Training
I'd say just to try it at least once, and see if you like it. If not, it'll grow back soon. But I truly don't see why someone would not like it. It is the perfect hairstyle.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
I agree with all the guys here, especially Merase - It's the perfect "hairstyle" for a guy.

Merase: your avatar doesn't suggest that you have shaved your head yet. Time to change the pic, i would say so we can see the Bald you.
BaldBill

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
There is something about a cleanly shaved head that screams out self confidence, I now believe that everyone, at least every guy, should try it once.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
It'll grow.

Really, it will.  It might be so short that you have to confront the point of your hairloss, but...

It'll grow. 

If you don't LOVE your bald head (unlikely!) your body will restore you to status quo.

This was really important to me initially as a slyette.  Now I'm just annoyed I have that much more hair to shave off  ;D

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
Ironically I had thought about it almost 20 years ago when I moved out on my own and was like "this is the reboot of life." I didn't do it then, I think I chickened out.

My brother started about 11 years ago and never looked back. Our mom doesn't care for it but he doesn't live nearby so when he comes back she's grown to "accept it."

Now I finally bit the bullet. My hair has been thinning all over the top and I had it buzzed fairly short but last Saturday I made the plunge (I had done it once before but let it grow back) and just sat down with shaving cream and razor. I figured enough was enough. I am going to a family function next week (not a lot of family left but I guess it will be a topic of conversation). I got great advice from you slys (and slyette's) and well, I made the plunge. I love it.  :)   :@`

The scalp needs some color now, but I've got a bit of shiine on top, probably from the melon being so thin for so long. It's nice when the rest of the scalp is as smooth as the parts that are missing!

Thanks for all that share their ideas and thoughts with the rest of us!
-gary-