Author Topic: Electric Bicycles  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Electric Bicycles
« on: August 18, 2017, 03:28:23 AM »
Do any of you ride an electric bicycle?  Now that I only have one leg I'm looking to make it a little easier to ride bikes with my daughter so I was thinking of an electric bicycle. If you know anything about them, what do you recommend?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Zooman

• Sly Jr.
Re: Electric Bicycles
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »
Although I don't have an electric bicycle, I did a lot of research on them recently.  Like any bike, it depends on where you want to use it (on/off-road), how much you want to use it, how fast you want to go, and (of course!) how much you want to spend.  There are a lot of options available now, and there should be some bike shops nearby where you could take one for a test ride.  Electricbikereview.com has a lot of information and great videos - might be a good place to get some ideas.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
Thanks, Zooman! I'll check it out.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
Do any of you ride an electric bicycle?  Now that I only have one leg I'm looking to make it a little easier to ride bikes with my daughter so I was thinking of an electric bicycle. If you know anything about them, what do you recommend?

I don't know too much either, but I have a friend who lives an hour away who has one. I will give him a call tomorrow and ask him where did he get it, cost, etc. I think it's a wonderful thing that you're not letting your limitations stop you from living life and making memories for/with your daughter. Best of luck, and stay strong, T!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Tyler,

I don't have any direct experience with electric bikes, but my wife and I have done trips with a company called Backroads (headquartered in Berkeley, CA) and the last trip we were on, a couple had electrically assisted bikes.  They look like conventional bikes with a small motor / battery pack. If you contact them, they may be able to provide you with info on where they get their bikes.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 03:56:14 AM »
Thanks Laser Man. I was actually in Berkeley when you posted this. I'll reach out to them.

Offline bald_737

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »

Sorry to hear about ur handicap, actually what happen?? Care to share?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 12:01:55 AM »

Sorry to hear about ur handicap, actually what happen?? Care to share?

I went in for a planned open-heart surgery and had complications. In the process I got compartment syndrome (restricted blood flow) in my lower-right leg and it killed all the muscle. I then had to have the leg amputated.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:44 AM »
@Sly Red have you ventured into the electric bike arena yet?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »
I have only ridden a few and assembled one.  I'd recommend them for certain kinds of commuting.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Hagrid

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 05:30:45 AM »
I have an electric bike. These bikes are great :)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:18:42 PM »
Which bike to you have @Hagrid?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 11:46:53 PM »
I have three electric bikes and I never get a chance to use any of them.

I hope like heck to actually get to retire this year and start using my electric recumbent tricycle around town.

Enter your email address: