Author Topic: Reactions I've Had To Being Bald  (Read 9250 times)

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Reactions I've Had To Being Bald
« on: November 02, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
I just noticed this section of the forum, and it sounds like a fun idea. So I'll update my own post as I get new reactions!

I have two female clients whom I am private security for at a state office. When one of the ladies came in the door for work Monday morning and turned to say good morning, she got as far as "goo-" and switched to "WHAT THE HEEECCCKKKK????" And stood there staring at my head like a little kid looking in awe at a giant swirl lollipop.

Today driving in our Tundra with my father, I looked out my window and on the right there was a girl about my age in a sporty little gold colored car. I'm in my shades and looking like agent 47, but I'm looking at her car. I looked back straight ahead and my dad says "that little blonde hottie was checking you out Baldie boy!! Yeah Shen likes that, she was smiling at you!" And I'm like dad whatever I was looking at her car and she was probably smiling at your truck. "Nooo no no she was checking out your hot bald head, tellin ya, she likes that." Haha, I don't know if he's joking or not because I didn't see her face, I was to busy listing after her car. Either way, today was my first day walking in town bald and it felt very good to not care what people thought. I didn't get any odd looks, and I actually felt pretty comfortable. I expected I would be more self conscious, but thankfully not!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
Re: Reactions I've Had To Being Bald
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:44:19 AM »
TOO FUNNY!!!!  I'm sure you will have lots of double takes from people that saw you last with hair since you are now sporting the SLY look.  I guess that's why I only get looks like they are trying to figure out what is different about me.  I was buzzing with no guard for a few years.  I must say, it is very funny watching people trying to figure out what is different about your appearance...almost like a dog that turns their head when you talk to them!   ;D

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »
Haha! Thats so true, the double takes are a blast. I haven't run into anyone i know yet other than my family, so it will be pretty humorous when i bump into someone and they probably wont even recognize me at first.  ;D :*)) O:O

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
Everyone goes through it.  I'm BBC, so I got a lot of double takes and a lot of questions.  "Why did you do that?", "What happened to your hair?", "Where is your hair?".  That last one was my favorite.  I'd always answer, "Hell if I know". 

One thing I noticed, especially at first, was the boost in confidence.  It was my statement that I don't have to conform to the convention of having hair.  That I had the guts to shave my head and not care what anyone else thought.  It's a great feeling.

Another thing I noticed is that when I mention shaving my head, people always look at my head.  Like they want to make sure I'm really bald.  So funny!

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »
I sported a High & Tight Recon Horseshoe for a very long time until I went completely bald in 1998 and no a single member of my family noticed it.  At work it took one guy to notice I shaved my head approximately 7 month after the deed and finally asked, "I just noticed you shaved your head, when did you do it.?  I did notice that most people gave me that funny look but never said a word.  And I know they were saying what is different about him.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »
Over the past few days I have been getting several looks from guys that are bald themselves.  They look up and kinda nod their head and say hey.  I feel like I'm a part of club now!  Feels awesome to be a member I must say!!!!!!! O0 O:O

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »
I agree @dshupe there is a club affiliation effect of sorts that's really satisfying, haha!

I walked into a lowes with my dad, looking like a couple of bald hitmen, lol. We walked over to customer service to return a bucket of Tar that we didn't use on our roofing project. A bald fellow walked by us and stared for brief second, probably trying to process two bald guys in the same 10 square feet of lowes - but then it hit him, he was there too. There were three of us. Then the smile grew. His head lifted and his eyes mellowed as he gave a hearty and descriptive nod of approval and then walked out.

Definitely a brotherhood amongst us bald dudes. Im really enjoying it.

I actually saw a few friends last night, and one of them is a single girl I've known for many years in our church group. She's a bit too old for me (8 years!) but her reaction to my bald head was comforting. While everyone else was asking about it and laughing etc and making jokes whilst seriously trying to figure out why I shaved off my hair - she was quiet and didn't say a peep. Later on someone make a smart sarcastic remark about bald young guys being "so attractive to the young ladies", again it was a joke in a sarcastic tense. Now she pipes up and says "I think it's a good look! Most girls probably don't care if a guy is bald as long as he's well kept and is has a nice personality. Or maybe some girls just really don't like Bald heads. But I think it's a good look!"

That made my evening haha. To have a mature young lady share a sincere comment felt good. I already know that I like my bald head and that it's respectable etc, but it's nice to hear from a peer that it's not a huge negative factor to girls! Haha

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »
I'm recently sly as well, and I've gotten lots of comments and questions from people. I get asked If I like it, how often I have to shave it, how long it takes, things like that. I also get asked why I did it, but lots of people know about my hair loss, so most know. When I started using Headlube Glossy, mom mom actually noticed right away. She said "Did you put something on your head? Cause it's VERY shiny!"lol. And I actually haven't had a negative reaction yet. I went to most of the women I know for their opinions first, and all said "Go ahead and shave it! You'll look great!" And since I did the deed, they all agree.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 11:44:55 AM »
good move @miller1989 if youre happy, others will see that and admire your confidence to take action. Glad you like it and have such good support from friends and family.

i am happy so far! i must admit ive had one time so far where i looked at it and was like, ehhh maybe i could just let my hair grow back.. and then within ten seconds realized how i dont want to go through the fight of hiding the hair thinning anymore and rather just be done with it now than milk it out for a few more years! Im satisfied and happy ive made the move :)

as Dshupe said somewhere else, maybe in a PM, "i feel like a new me". and its true! It changes how we perceive ourselves and also changes the air that we project on others around us. For me i really think it boosted my confidence and feeling like more of a presence than i used to. Its been all positive for me!

well... except that if i get embarrassed now my whole head is going to betray me, haha.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 11:47:54 AM »
Thanks! And I think most ladies do like bald heads. Every girl has told me they're fine with a guy that's bald, it's BALDING that they're not into. I was surprised that when I was thinking about shaving and asked for opinions, i didn't get a single "NO! Don't do that!" from anyone. Even a girl I know who is a hairstylist and has cut my hair before was all for it. She said I had a good shaped head and would look great completely bald.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »
That's great! I've had a few somewhat negative or rather inquisitive responses, but nothing horrible. A couple people have just been like "whhhaaaat?!? Why did you cut off your hair!?"

But the majority are cool with it and are like "yeah man it's the way to go, it's cool and it's easy and overall it's just better!" Even coming from guys with great heads of hair!

I'm sold!

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »
Oh that's happened to me to. other guys with full heads of hair have told me how cool I look with the shaved head. I think some of them would secretly like to take a razor to their head to lol,

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 07:37:02 AM »
I've had guys tell me it looks great on me, but they didn't they'd have the guts to do it themselves.  You definitely have to ratchet up your courage when you take the plunge; something I think we can all attest to.  But once you do... (stopped to rub my head), it's so worth it.   

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »
What gets me the most is all the guys that have buzzed or short guard haircuts and everyone seems to think thats fine and most even call it "military haircut" or so forth. But to take the extra 1/4 inch off and go skin smooth is like a whole different animal to most people for some reason!

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 08:03:04 AM »
Oh I know lol that happens alot. But it's good that we live in an age where it's pretty acceptable to shave your head. And, I know some bald dudes who have wives or girlfriends that are absolute babes!