Author Topic: Back to DE shaving for good (Merkur 37c)  (Read 6293 times)

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
Back to DE shaving for good (Merkur 37c)
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »
Well gentlemen...it's been a long journey, but I'm back to DE shaving for good...and I actually mean it this time.

I previously mentioned how I thought the redesigned Merkur 37c was too mild, but I think I was just a little rusty with my technique since it had been awhile since I DE shaved. Well, about a month ago I went to a local shop and bought one again, since I sold the last one haha, and a 100 pack of Astra SP's. I just got fed up with getting ingrowns and paying out the ass for cartridges so it was kinda my last hope.

I've been getting amazing shaves, better than ever, so now I know that I don't need to venture out and get a different razor or try different blades. Two pass shave with just a few touch ups as a third pass but I wouldn't even really consider it a "pass". Just doing J hooks in areas that were stubborn the first couple passes. Barbasol aloe as my shave cream (I like to keep it simple and as quick as possible so no brush or expensive creams for me), Thayer's original witch hazel as an aftershave and Aveeno 24hr fragrance free lotion to moisturize.

I highly recommend the Merkur 37c slant to anyone that has stubborn thick hair like myself. It's not insanely aggressive like the Muhle R41, it just slices smoothly and has some extra efficiency to it. When I think back to the older head, I really can't tell whether or not this new one is more "mild". I would say it feels smoother but works just as well. So don't think too hard about it and just buy whichever one you can. You will find it easier to mow down hair especially if you get lazy and let it grow out for a few days. In my experience, it would take 20 passes with an Edwin Jagger to accomplish the same results.

Cheers!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Back to DE shaving for good (Merkur 37c)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
My new Merkur 34c should be here tomorrow. I've been using a 60 year old Gillette Super Speed for a few years. Anxious to see if the Merkur is better.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
I've used both and didn't get good shaves from them. Very mild and would cause more irritation because I would need to go against the grain in some areas just to get a decent shave. I recommend the slant for sure.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 06:34:24 AM »
I might get the 37c. Its changed then? I had one about a year and a half ago

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »
I've been blade shaving my head since March (atx + pace 4 carts) but have decided to work on getting comfortable with the de on my head.  I'm basically going back to the 30 day rule except with the de this time.  Same background with cartridges as you, they work but get pricey and I always get bumps on my neck/nape. If at the end of the 30 the de doesn't work for me I'll be ok with going back to the atx but if it is working out then I plan on rewarding myself with a new 37c.  Thanks for the post! Our situations sound very similar so this helped me a lot.  I too love that barbasol aloe and also hate bothering with a brush for daily shaves.
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:56:26 PM »
Sorry gentlemen I haven't logged on in awhile. The 37C head was changed near the end of 2015. Supposedly to offer a smoother shave, it's just a tad more mild but I didn't notice that much. They also improved the plating quality.

I left mine 6 hours north at the family camper by mistake so I've been forced to use Mach 3 disposables and the shave hasn't been too bad. I did notice that DE shaving improved my technique with a cartridge. Many would say a cartridge requires no technique, but I think the reason I was getting frequent ingrowns was because I had a tendency to push down with the razor instead of letting the weight do the cutting. I haven't had any ingrowns since using these Mach 3 disposables for a little over a week, which is great. Just not happy about paying $7 for three razors that only last 2-3 shaves each >:(

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 02:01:29 AM »
I use a mach 3 and recently i have been suffering with spots on the head! Could these be in grown hairs? I have been pressing down harder too!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 05:37:35 AM »
As someone who recently purchased a new 37c and also has always had issues with stubborn hairs and irritation... Everything drew said in his initial post is 100% spot on
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
Hi Drew:  Glad that the 37C is working for you.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline drew847

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
Thanks Warhark!

Glad your shaves are working out for you SlyCat! It's so satisfying being able to enjoy a shave and not have ingrowns or irritation.

Enter your email address: