Author Topic: A proper introduction.....  (Read 12379 times)

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
Re: A proper introduction.....
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »

Yes! That reminds me of my scottish boss a couple of years ago, he had only been in Australia for 2 years (I think), so he still had a really strong accent, and hearing him trying to talk in what he thought was an Aussie accent to say the phrases that we commonly use was always a hoot! Over here we say "no worries" a lot, in reply to being asked to do something, or well... a lot of other things really. and hearing him say that... always almost had me rolling on the ground.

He taught me one of what we used to call his "Neilisms", which was "giving me the pants", which means something like, you are annoying me, over here we say "giving me the s#!ts". I think it's a great saying haha.
[/quote]

He used to use alot of them in which I cannot remember them at the moment.  He and I have not chatted in a long time.  His wife and he became really close friends of mine and Danny's (Danny is my husband).  He has Parkinsons which is alot worse that when we met (over 10 yrs ago) and so he doesn't get on the computer at all now.  He sent me a book of alot of sayings that you guy use.  Slang sayings so to speak.  I used to think that the British and the Ausies used to talk the same.  I have a friend here in my town who is British and has the accent and hearing her talk and voicing with my friend from Aussie there is a world of difference.  I will tell you one thing though....Never get into a heated argument with an Aussie about their country.  They love "Oz" and are proud of it and they will tell you about it...I learned that the hard way!  I cannot believe the choice words that think are cuss words that are so different than ours.  I said one thing one time and he read me the right act.  I told him that he misunderstood me, and he said no that that was a cuss word there. 
"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together...Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever".    Winnie the Pooh

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
Welcome to the club, Debbie.

I agree with your comment about this place feeling like family.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »
Thank you Hingatao! 
"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together...Keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever".    Winnie the Pooh

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
Great intro, and a bit of a rollercoaster ride that brought you here, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Offline Melaza

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
Welcome....btw i really love the screen name.

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
Thanks Slyfive and Melaza. 

prixmo93

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
Hi Debbie, welcome aboard!

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
Thank you Nick!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »

Yes! That reminds me of my scottish boss a couple of years ago, he had only been in Australia for 2 years (I think), so he still had a really strong accent, and hearing him trying to talk in what he thought was an Aussie accent to say the phrases that we commonly use was always a hoot! Over here we say "no worries" a lot, in reply to being asked to do something, or well... a lot of other things really. and hearing him say that... always almost had me rolling on the ground.

He taught me one of what we used to call his "Neilisms", which was "giving me the pants", which means something like, you are annoying me, over here we say "giving me the s#!ts". I think it's a great saying haha.

He used to use alot of them in which I cannot remember them at the moment.  He and I have not chatted in a long time.  His wife and he became really close friends of mine and Danny's (Danny is my husband).  He has Parkinsons which is alot worse that when we met (over 10 yrs ago) and so he doesn't get on the computer at all now.  He sent me a book of alot of sayings that you guy use.  Slang sayings so to speak.  I used to think that the British and the Ausies used to talk the same.  I have a friend here in my town who is British and has the accent and hearing her talk and voicing with my friend from Aussie there is a world of difference.  I will tell you one thing though....Never get into a heated argument with an Aussie about their country.  They love "Oz" and are proud of it and they will tell you about it...I learned that the hard way!  I cannot believe the choice words that think are cuss words that are so different than ours.  I said one thing one time and he read me the right act.  I told him that he misunderstood me, and he said no that that was a cuss word there. 
[/quote]

That's a pity about your friend, he sounds like a top bloke though! These kind of things always seem to happen to the good people...

You were very wrong in thinking that the British and Aussies talked the same haha, we have just as much of a hard time understanding them sometimes as we do with the americans and vis versa.

Yeah, you think you guys are proud of your country, talk to an Aussie  :x! haha. We really do like to speak our mind here, and most Aussies will tell you it is whether you like it or not. But it's good that way, keeps people honest. The younger generation (gee hear me talk, I'm only 26) could really use a bit of that... gee you'd think I was an old codger the way I'm talking haha.

Yes, we have a lot of unique cuss words. Just like a lot of the words that you guys would think of as cuss words, we'd think of as fine, and use them on a frequent basis. It's funny how the english language works, isn't it.

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
Oh believe me when I say I learned real quick that you don't cross an Aussie when it comes to something he loves.  Be it his country, family, ect.  I think I should sit down and write them a letter, and send it.  Just to stay in touch.  I have sent several emails but unfortumatly he can't even work his fingers good enough to type anymore.  How many Aussie's do we have on the board, do you even know? 

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »
We've got about 5-6 really active Aussies at the moment from all over the country, I think the biggest contingent is based around Canberra at the moment.

Offline eric79

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »
Welcome from one nurse to another.

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »
Hi Debbie!  I'm a slyette and I friend-requested you on Facebook.  Welcome to the club!  :D

GutsyGirl
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 08:14:27 PM »
Welcome from one nurse to another.

Thank you Eric! 

Offline Petunia

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
Gutsy Girl, I will look for you on facebook and approve your friendship.  When did you send it?

Enter your email address: