Author Topic: Need opinions from the younger guys...  (Read 13750 times)

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
Need opinions from the younger guys...
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:48:50 PM »
Hey all, I'm 21, and a senior in college.  My dad and my mom's dad are both bald... so I basically knew I was screwed haha, just didn't know when it would happen.  I started thinning junior or senior year of high school.  I started taking Propecia my freshman year of college (18yrs old).  I'm currently still taking it, and I would say it has definitely slowed down my hair loss.  I'm confident in saying that if I wasn't on it, I'd definitely be bald on top by now.  As you can imagine, having thin hair at my age is horrible.  I don't think most people realize how annoying and worrysome it is to have really bad thinning hair unless you actually experience it.  I have a receding hair line (but still have decent hair up front in the middle and towards the sides), not horrible, but I have very diffused hair loss on top.  However, after getting out of the shower and styling my hair, and using certain "concealers", I can hide it pretty well.  In fact I just bought the concealers a couple weeks ago, and was flat out amazed by how well they worked, I couldn't believe how thick my hair looked with them.  But, its still a pain to worry about my hair and what not...  so lately I've really contemplated going the way of the headblade (see it advertised it all the time since i'm a big MMA fan and alot of the fighters are sponsored).  I'm not going to shave my head while still in college, that woudl be way too big of a change to people I know and in my classes.  However, when I graduate in May, and start whatever new job I get, I'm REALLY thinking about it.  The problem is that I look pretty young for being 21, and am not a big guy (5'10 160).  Although, I think with a tanned head I might be able to pull it off.  I know for sure that if I shaved it and it looked good, it'd probably be the most liberating thing I've ever done in my entire life.  No more worrying, no more propecia, etc, just FREEDOM.   8)

Who are the youngest people on this forum that have gone sly?  Or were faced in a similar position. 

Thanks alot
-Joe

Offline Drackare

• Sly
Re: Need opinions from the younger guys...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:58:50 PM »
well as i said before in another thread i first shave my head ( stubble ) when i was 19 when i joined the army reserves....i thought it was great then....and now i do it right to the skin...sly all the way.. All i have to say it i love it and we all do here I am sure you will love the FREEDOM when  you do....give it a shot...if you don't like it you can let it grow back...but i am sure you will

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 11:05:53 PM »
After writing the post, I've pretty much decided my fate.  Its funny too, because before my senior year, I really never thought about shaving (not buzzing) my head completely...  I wouldn't have done it.  Lately though, I'm just tired of worrying about my hair, and since I'm going to be entering a new world, I may as well go for the glory and do it once and for all.  I also think that having the sly look will actually make me look older.   I'll definitely show you guys the pictures come this May because its coming off!

Keep posting your thoughts though, thanks!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:18:51 PM »
Well I didn't have the receding hairline, but i'm 23 years old and bald by choice(today was 3 months/13 weeks).

As far as the height/weight.   I'm about 5'8-5'9 180-190.    And while it may be "easier" to pull it off if you are taller it looks good on pretty much anyone.    And as far as looking younger than 21, I can relate.    With hair I looked like I could still be in high school(think sophomoric).    As a bald guy, I can tell you, your look runs the gamut of age ranges.    With one smile it may look younger, with another really older, with another young but mature.

Here's a link of the pic I was referencing with hair(I was 21 at the time, looked like I could be 15).   http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=392.0

Honestly if I was in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I'd shave asap if I were you.  Your friends/family will get used to it one way or the other.    Different people like different things and the best way to handle any ribbing is to joke back/laugh at yourself.

Really, it has nothing to do with the "look" aspect of it either(because trust me at the beginning there are many ups/downs).    It has to do with stuff like enjoying shaving my head, the feel of rubbing my shaved head, no messed up hair from sleep/hats, the fact if I get a random last minute phone call from a friend/family member saying want to hang out I don't have to rush to the restroom, find a brush and gel and take unnecessary time fixing it.

Then add on top of that I don't have to mess with haircuts ever again and the money associated with them.

bald for life

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:56:08 AM »
Joe, welcome to Sly Bald Guys buddy!  This site was created for guys like you - I just let the other guys hang out.  Just kidding guys!

Anyways, I'm glad you are going to shave your head for one main reason - propecia.  I'm not sure if you are aware of the possible side effects of that drug and they may not be affecting you now, but they have really bad potential.  The most being that you have the possiblity of losing your sex drive, having your penis shrink,  not being able to get a woody, and having your balls hurt all the time.  This means that you can basically lose your manhood for some hair on your head, when in reality you could shave your head and have some of the most positive side effects that change could ever bring.

If you don't believe me, check out this goup on Yahoo for Propecia Side Effects and the people that are dealing with them: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=links;sa=visit;id=18

So, with that said - shave it ASAP!  I promise you it will give you more confidence and that people will respond in a positive manner.  Like you said, it will provide you FREEDOM.  Not to mention, you can use the money that you spend on Propecia for beer and wining and dining the ladies.

Even if I didn't inspire you to shave immediately, stick around and hang.  We can also provide you some guidance when it comes to looking for jobs and the truth to what happens come June and you're no longer in College.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:45:39 AM »
 :) Dear Joe/dalecooper. Tyler and David have given you some really sound advice. The side effects of propecia are irreversible; think about that. I have been shaving since November 4th 2007 and can say that sooner is much better than later. People who do not know you will immediately accept your sly bald identity. Those who have known you all your life may give you the greatest difficulty. But it's time to move on. Having spent a small fortune on supplements, etc., shampoos, and hairspray myself, I can say shaved-to-the-bone not only saves you money but allows you freedom of movement and self-honesty. Send us the before and after pics. All best, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:10:11 AM »
Side effects from Propecia are NOT irreversible.  There are alot of people, in fact the majority, have no problems at all taking the drug.  Other people get some bad side effects.  I also think its a psychological thing, their own mind is bringing on alot of it.  There is alot of misconception about finasteride, side effects disappear within a couple weeks of use (like many drugs).  However, it isn't something I'd like to take as time goes on, and plus, I'm gonna be completely bald anyways, so I may as well face the facts and get on with my life.  I've come to the realization the past couple months that prolonging my hair loss will only keep anxiety around instead of being liberated by my future sly look.  Not to mention that I really think a bald head shows confidence and respect, which can be very important in the "business/corporate" world.   I am gonna wait till May though, plus its REALLY cold out lately, I think I'd freeze if I did it now haha. 

By the way, try not to turn this thread into a lets bash finasteride or talk about it lol.  I am definitely the type of person that doesn't like to be on drugs, realize it is not something I want to take longterm.  In fact stopping it, and never worrying about my hair is one of the primary reasons to go sly.  The faster I accept the inevitable, the more comfortable and confident I will be.  If it looks bad, oh well, cause the hair isn't gonna be there to grow!

Sidenote - I told my mom news of my choice, and she loves the decision.  Then again, she likes bald guys and has always wanted me to have a buzz cut.  She completely agrees with all my reasons though and can't wait to see it happen.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:01:02 AM by dalecooper »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »
Yeah, we don't need a bashing session.  We'll keep it positive on the fact that you're determined to go Sly in May.  We'll look forward to seeing the results then.  In the meantime, sit back, have fun, and learn what you can from SBG for the day that you do shave.  Don't forget to give pburke a bad time either...he tends to feel the love that way.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

spaceape48

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 07:06:07 PM »
Starting thinning after high school graduation. I'm 22 now and am damn thin on the top. I decided to rid myself of the constant worry about how bald I looked in certain lighting. I shaved it down and truth be told, I regreted it immediately. One week later as the stuble was growing back, I looked at myself in the mirror one day, and suddenly the bald look grasped me. I've loved it since and haven't looked back. Don't get me wrong, I miss my hair sometimes, but given the worries and frustration, being bald is hands down the way to go. I love the way it looks now- it def "grows on you" :*))

If your worried about being too skinny I would recogmend you start working out with those weights. The wider your shoulders the more your body will come into profile. At the same time though there are plenty of skinny dudes who pull it off just fine.

Good luck with it man- just don't let some dead skin cells ruin your self esteem and cloud your mind with worries. Def post some pics. The whole lot of these guys are a great asset to have around- def helped me out along the way....even Paul :*))

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 11:56:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply spaceape, I think you look real good with the sly look (from your avatar), and would actually like to see before and after pics.  Its funny, once you start thinking about shaving, you look constantly for bald guys, and imagine how others would look bald.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 05:46:29 AM »
  Don't forget to give pburke a bad time either...he tends to feel the love that way.

gee thenks buddy. at least let him figure that part out on his own. >:D :x!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 07:07:20 AM »
Welcome Joe, I will echo what the others have told you already. Like David, I'm also BBC and loving it. Can't imagine myself with hair again, and doubt I would ever grow it back. Unless it was for St Baldricks or some other charitable cause. It's good to see that you're accepting your fate already and are positive about going sly. Look forward to seeing you around some more, and getting to know you.

In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

spaceape48

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply spaceape, I think you look real good with the sly look (from your avatar), and would actually like to see before and after pics. 

I'll see what I can do about finding something this weekend. Currently grinding away hours at work.

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 09:14:34 PM »
I have a full head of hair... but Slick is the new comb over, I'm 26 and a bouncer at a bar which appeals to the population age levels 19-26 or so... and the ladies love slick... try it, i'm sure you'll be able to pull it off and get the confidence the expensive pills are doing for you.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Christian

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 12:53:11 PM »
Wob Dalecooper!

I can understand your worries ... especially at your age and that I would lokk kind of different when you shave your head.
But also think about that it is gonna solve several problems for you and if you have the self-conficence you won't regret your decision at all.
I shaved my head the first time when I was about 23. From time to time I have let it grown again and shaved it regulary. Now I am 28 ... had hair for about one year and decided to be bald again! And this time I am pretty sure I am gonna stick to it. bald is my choice and I really like it!

Try it and I guess you like it ... especially when you are already thinking about it.

Enter your email address: