Author Topic: Buzzing it tomorrow... maybe.  (Read 21636 times)

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Buzzing it tomorrow... maybe.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »
The coast guard is actually the one I look at now and kick myself for no going to.  They don't get the best geographic travel, (but on some cases still pretty good) but their budget is wicked sick.  Great toys. ;D  Great training.  They are on it!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:52:15 PM by ar3inc »
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

BaldRob

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »
The coast guard is actually the one I look at now and kick myself for no going to.  They don't get the best geographic travel, (but on some cases still pretty good) but their budget is wicked sick.  Great toys. ;D  Great training.  They are on it!

Dude, you're still young enough... go for it!  Gotta love the DOT budget vs the DOD budget!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
See that is the great thing they pull from both DOT and DOD.  And I think they also get state, too.  I have given their counter drug team some seroius though but that requires moving to another state, and I need to finish my schooling in Oklahoma. :(  After I finish my school... ???
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2007, 06:08:50 PM »
The coast guard is actually the one I look at now and kick myself for no going to.  They don't get the best geographic travel, (but on some cases still pretty good) but their budget is wicked sick.  Great toys. ;D  Great training.  They are on it!

I really wanted to go into the Coast Guard as my first option. This was before March 2003 and Iraq, and the only Coast Guard recruiter in all of Houston (where I'm from) was a 40 minute drive away and required an appointment! I really wanted to make sure I was around the water all the time, and the Coast Guard seemed like something different. They were the guys that were always hassling me and my best friend when we were jet-skiing and jumping the wakes of the oil tankers in the Houston Ship Channel. Those boats were so cool... dual 225 hp outboard motors and all. But it was all too easy for me to just drive around the corner and talk to the Navy and Air Force guys. The Air Force thing has worked out... I get to go to southern Italy and  northwestern Australia (in the tropics, baby!) every six months, and might even get stationed in Australia here soon. I've gotten to swim in the Ionian Sea and the Indian Ocean; even swam with some manatees in Australia.

I've since heard mixed things about the Coast Guard. When I was in Mississippi, there were some Coast Guard guys there in training. They looked pretty silly, and apparently with them going into the Dept. of Homeland Security, the culture has changed somewhat. And I guess it's pretty stressful. I've also heard that it gets pretty dangerous quite often as well, when they're boarding drug ships and the boat owners have nothing to lose but a bunch of machine gun casings. I'd still consider it again, but I know the least amount about those guys amongst any branch.

Oddly enough, I was just on leave, and me and my sister were cruising around Houston. My parents recently moved, and guess who is right down the street from them? The Coast Guard recruiter, of course.
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2007, 12:27:27 AM »
southern italy?  is that aviano?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.