Author Topic: If you could give any advice to someone who is balding or thinking of shaving...  (Read 213320 times)

BigJimW

Sorry for replying to an old topic, but I can't help it.  O0

Ok so your afraid to lose it. Afraid of what? What other people think? Or Say? Afraid your wife or kids won't like it? Afraid you're not gonna get any pussy while being bald?  :Xo!

Well, here is the best and worst case scenario.

WORST CASE: you do not like it and grow it back

BEST CASE: You love the look and feel  and will never go back.

But I want to examine the WORST case scenario in this post.

Every singer on the face of the planet thinks their own voices suck. Yet they manage to swoon millions.

Why is that?

Simple, they only hear themselves. They hear themselves day in and day out. They hear their own voices and thinks it sounds like crap. Yet the world hears it differently.

I live with my son who wants to be a comedian. I think he sucks during one of his performances, yet others love it.

Why is that? It is because I live with him and see him every day.

The bottom line is you look at yourself in the mirror, day in and day out. You see yourself everyday.

Yet, the REST of the world sees you quite differently. Just like the singer who thinks they suck, or like my son who is great on stage yet can't get a crack out of me for a smile. People love it.

One thing I learned after shaving off the noggin, is that everyone I've encountered loves the look. And I personally think I'm not the greatest looking man alive.

Why? Because I live with myself and see my reflection in the mirror every day. I know myself like a book. But the world sees a very different picture.

Don't be afraid. I am quite sure that 99.9% of the guys here who want to do the job are afraid of what they will see in the mirror afterwards.

All I got to say is.... let the world become your mirror. You may very well be surprised at the result.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:04:28 PM by BigJimW »

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
how can i give a standing ovation on the computer.
 very well put jim. bravo.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Awesome post Jim!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Outstanding job Jim, very well said.  A must read for anybody who needs to but is reluctant to go sly.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
Great post Jim, if that doesn't convince someone to go "SLY", I don't know what will... O0

we are our own worst enemies

jusbnme

Well said Jim.  Like the others have said, very well put.  O0

BigJimW

Thanks guys. But there is also one other element that I neglected to mention.

The HEAD RUB!   ;)

But another thing to consider as well. I was chatting with my friend Melissa where I work and can be quite candid with her. And she can be quite blunt with me.

I told her I was considering getting the HCM "system" and asked her bluntly if I would have looked more silly wearing a rug, or shaving it clean.

She outright told me that getting a piece would have been very obvious and I would have been the butt of many jokes. ("Look at this guy, receding hairline yesterday, full head of hair today"). Melissa loves the new sly look.

Remember if you're thinking of getting a "piece", it will be quite obvious. Everybody will see it. Sure, your own "confidence" may raise a bit, but you will never know the "in jokes" that will follow. People will not think two thoughts in a few days if you go sly. Wear a rug, and you're branded as "Toupee Away" forever.

One woman who used to work where I do had a piece on. But she couldn't help it. She was a cancer paciant and temporarily lost her natural hair. As much as she was attractive, the fake piece stood out. She's doing fine now, but the fake piece she had to wear was obvious.

Don't kid yourselves potential HCM clients. It DOES stand out, but not in the way you want.

You come into work Sly, and you gain respect. Come into work with a carpet on your head when just yesterday you had a big bald spot, and you gain scoff.

Just remember YOUR in control! Don't let some obviously fake hairpiece control you.

So if I could give advise to someone thinking of becoming "Sly", it's a no brainer. Just do it.

Realistically, if you want to boost your own self-confidence level, the best way is control your life and thinking. Having a rug superglued to your scalp (at the tune of thousands of dollars) will never replace the confidence one achieves by being in control of themselves. Regardless of if you shave it off or not, once you become the master of yourself, the world will see a brighter picture. And you will love it!

Now get that HeadBlade, HeadSlick, and start enjoying life again! :)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:47:34 PM by BigJimW »

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
What do I say...(and I get askedthis a lot as a permanently bald man)?

Go buy yourself an expensive set of Wahl barber clippers, take all the guards off and peel your head down to sandpaper stubble.((or get your ass to a decent old-fashioned barber and have him do it). Shave first over the sink with some hot towels and warm water tosoften the stubble up.  Hit your head with the Headslick shave creme lube and run the Schick right up themiddle of your forehead so there is no going back.  After the first shave, start shaving in the shower.

I've have fellow workers ask me this all the time and you know they want to be totally bald.  I tell them to go do it-I cant decide forthem.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
bigjimw..... man..... i'm just now reading your post.  i couldn't have said it any better.  GREAT post and well said.  people who r thinking of doing the deed should read that one.  i say AMEN 2 that one!!!

WARHAWK O0

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Very good Jim  wow..you put a lot of thought into that post.  But it does describe about every guy out there.  I just dont understand the use of something artificial to your body.  I just think people who wear the headpieces and all are in a constant worry about ..is it gonna slip...turn sides....flipp up and over or just fall off.  Being sly...you can walk into the wolrd with confidence
Good Luck

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Well said Skinhead!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

JohnMont

The liberating thing I've found in just two days of headshaving, is that the opinion of the world "out there" doesn't matter.  I've enjoyed being out on the street, doing errand at places I go to once every week or two.  And I'm not "scared" anymore about people who last saw me with quite a bit of hair and who will think this is some huge transformation.   No one has really reacted one way or the  other.  So my advice to those thinking of shaving is DO IT.  Do it in your own time, when you think you are ready, but do it.  The message I feel I am projecting is "I did this because ___***   I  ***___   wanted to, and if you don't like it, tough. "  And even though headshaving is pretty mainstream now, it is STILL a bold, radical statement; connotes self-possession, strong will , etc.   The image that YOU want to project is what counts, and everyone "out there" has the option to like it or lump it. 

Incidentally, I've gone down to a goatee today ... went a little too far down the ear area and the break between beard and skin looked 'funny' .... So, I'm getting more and more streamlined.   Might even try a clean shave as an experiement.   After all, It grows back, right?

John

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
John, Brother, I can tell a different tone with you now.  I can tell there is no stopping you.  The SLY attitude has really kicked in.  Way to GO!!! O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

JohnMont

John, Brother, I can tell a different tone with you now.  I can tell there is no stopping you.  The SLY attitude has really kicked in.  Way to GO!!! O0

Thanks to the help and support of guys like you, KC ... Thanks again  O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Congratulations John, it is really great to hear you feel so in control and confident about the new sly you.  Really glad it has become a positive experience.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost