Author Topic: Alright, I want your opinion! - pics inside  (Read 8573 times)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Alright, I want your opinion! - pics inside
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 05:29:36 PM »
Seems like a lot of really long haired dudes will go straight to bald from long hair...I think going just to a regular haircut is too normal for someone that has already stood out in the crowd (it happened with my brother in law, buzzed bald)....

That's exactly how I feel about it. It's not like I have anything against the norm, but something is telling me it's either long or none. Besides, IF I didn't like it, I could grow it back, but I probably wouldn't grow it long again. Plus, with summer approaching, I'm sure it would feel awesome.

At first I was totally scared about the idea of shaving my head, and the pics posted above with me having hair really hide the truth behind the speed at which I'm thinning. Now, after thinking about it for a while and looking at the pics I've photoshopped, I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the look and a bunch of my friends tell me to go for it. My best friend told me that when and if I decide to do it (which would be the beginning of next month if I do), he would do it too.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it and I'm glad to be a part of this supportive community.

The first time I went SLY was with my roommate and a high school buddy. It never hurts.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 11:24:27 PM »
:) Darin, hi and welcome. It seems to me you're ahead of the curve and to be admired for facing an inevitability with a clearheaded idea of your options. But it's not time yet, unless the top and crown of your head are thinner than the pics indicate. I'd bide my time, enjoy having hair while I could--unless the bald look really talks to you and you want to preempt Mother Nature-- and then, when the  balding becomes noticeable/the costs [emotional and financial] of keeping up an illusion prohibitive, activate the plan you have recently conceived. Of course, given the members of this forum, we'd welcome you to full sly-hood immediately, if you decide to embrace the bald look now. Let us know your decision. Professor Melon

Completely agree with the Professor...

Thinning at the temples is NOTHING to be worried about.  Enjoy your hair while you can.  Some of us young people are not near as fortunate to have the amount of hair you do.  A buzz might be a change you were looking for, or even a new hair style, but I'd say just enjoy your full head of hair....  unless you really do want to shave it slick.

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 11:25:52 PM »
Shave

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Offline Darin

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 12:04:56 AM »
Since my last post, 2 other of my friends want to get their head shaved when I get it done as well. Hmm, maybe I'll cause a viral effect here in Omaha. Soon everyone might go sly!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 02:40:17 AM »
As a person who is bald by choice, I firmly say hair sucks.    Most of us here are guys, we don't like spending hours on end getting ready in the morning.    Or getting off our lazy butts and driving to get a haircut.    At least I know I didn't.   And now I don't have to.   Sure I may spend 10-20 minutes shaving a day, but I can do it the night before and have it ready for school when I wake up the next morning to go teach if I want, or wait a day if I want, etc.   And I don't have to have some product to hold hair in place so things like rain, wind, etc don't screw it up.   

To me this attitude of enjoy hair while you can if you have it is a mistake.    Now i'm not saying to shave your head if you like your hair.    I'm saying the concept that you are inferior or should adhere to the standard of hair simply because you have it is ludicrous.   

I understand it's along the lines of the grass is always greener on the other side concept.  But I will never understand the allure of keeping hair simply because you have it.   

The bottom line is do whatever makes you happy and you don't have to be going bald to justify the bald look.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:59:41 AM by David »
bald for life

jusbnme

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 02:47:56 AM »
Oh my gosh dude!!! Don't do it!! It will look very bad.  JUST PLAYING BRO.  ;D  I wanted to take Tyler's approach and get your attention.  Go for it man.  The top pic of you looks great.  I know you'll love it and you'll be doing it for a good cause also if you donate it.  Like some others have said, you'll have plenty of time to grow it back if you don't like it.  But I know you will......THEY ALL DO...HA, HA, HA. Oh sorry, zoned out there for a minute  :/O :/O :/O  For real though, go for it bro.  You won't regret it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:50:15 AM by Lance »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »

To me this attitude of enjoy hair while you can if you have it is a mistake.    Now i'm not saying to shave your head if you like your hair.    I'm saying the concept that you are inferior or should adhere to the standard of hair simply because you have it is ludicrous.   

I understand it's along the lines of the grass is always greener on the other side concept.  But I will never understand the allure of keeping hair simply because you have it.   

The bottom line is do whatever makes you happy and you don't have to be going bald to justify the bald look.

I'm a little late coming to this discussion, but here's my take anyway.   I agree with David.  There's no reason not to shave if you really want to.  I wouldn't freak too much -- yet -- at a little recession at the temples.  That is often just a maturing of the hairline.  You very seldom see guys who have the same hairlines at 25 that they had at 12.  Most guys experience that; it doesn't necessarily mean that they will go bald.  If you've got a history of baldness in your family, then you may very well end up losing more, but it looks like that is a long way away. 

The photoshopped picture looks great.  If this is something you want to try, then go for it.  It needn't be a permanent change.  It is only hair and will grow back, particularly in your case.  It seems like something you want to do, so do it.  If you end up growing your hair back in a month or so,  at least it will make going bald less scary if it happens to you down the road, because you'll already know what you look like as a sly bald guy.

Enter your email address: