Author Topic: Balding Woes  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Bishie

• Learning the way of Sly
Balding Woes
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
Hello there, i’m 19 years old and am going somewhat thin, baldness runs in the family and it has become apparent I am to be of no exception. Although I have a full head of hair currently, my hair is starting to recede and as you can imagine, it’s beginning to affect my confidence, especially considering I have a girlfriend whom I adore to the greatest extent.

At this time I have my hair relatively short, which I tend to spike using wax or gel, but I’m thinking of getting a buzz cut for the sake of not having to bother, whilst also being able to conceal the fact I’m balding at such an early age.

Later on down the line I plan to go the way of my Father, namely being completely shaven, but do you think a buzz cut is the best place to start given the circumstances?

Offline Drackare

• Sly
Re: Balding Woes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »
Well it doesn't matter what we think is best for you at this moment. It is what make you feel comfortable with yourself and your appearance.. If the buzz look make you feel better then stick with it. One thing i will say is try not to use hairspray or gell tho. They clogs the pores and kill the hair..making you loose hair alot quicker. But if you do have any questions there is always someone here that can give you some advice...Has for the GF  talk to her and ask her what she would think if you shaved your head. 

Hope thats helps somewhat...Iam sure some others here will say the same. Some will say different...it all ends with what you think is best,,

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 12:02:55 PM »

Later on down the line I plan to go the way of my Father, namely being completely shaven, but do you think a buzz cut is the best place to start given the circumstances?

Probably.  It will be easier to keep and will de-emphasize the thinning areas.  It will also allow you to get used to having less hair, making it less scary to shave when the time comes.  Stay away from the gel and wax -- they will just make individual hairs stick together and make your hair look even thinner.  Buzz down to at least a #2, and when you've gotten used to that for a while, try going to a #1.  It will only take a week to grow back out to a #2 length, so it's not that scary.   And it only takes a week to get back to a #1 from a total shave.  But you probably won't want to.  Once you've been completely bald for a while, it's hard to go back.

Welcome to the forum; I hope this helps.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 12:20:02 PM »
Welcome, Bishie,

You could feel it out a bit with the buzz cut....or go all the way, man....seems like you won't get any grief from yer dad.

The thing to remember is that it ALWAYS grows back.  It's not like getting a big ol' death tatoo on yer face.

I say go for it....if you don't like it....very simply let it grow back.   Notice I said that if "YOU" don't like it......if YOU like it that's all that counts, bro.

Let us know how the decision process goes and keep us posted.

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »
Although I have a full head of hair currently, my hair is starting to recede and as you can imagine, it’s beginning to affect my confidence

embrace it while your young so dont have to go through the self-confidence drain that most balding guys go through, trust me it can be devestating to your ego and relationships if you let it get worst.....these days are the best times in history to be a buzz cut or bald man...take advantage of it.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »
Welcome Bishie!!  You've come to the right place.

As Drackare said, you need to find what makes you the most confident.  To do this, you'll need to explore with some new styles.  I think buzzing it is a great place to start.  That's how I started.  Try a number 2 and if that feels right, stick with it for a while.  If you still feel that you can see some balding, try a number 1 or shave it.  As RazorX said, you can grow it back fairly quickly.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Bishie

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 05:36:15 PM »
I appreciate your swift and informative replies, they've truly given me incentive. Tomorrow, I get a buzz cut. :)

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 06:53:38 PM »
Right on man what do you have to lose that your not allready losing right?
 O0

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:10:13 PM »
I appreciate your swift and informative replies, they've truly given me incentive. Tomorrow, I get a buzz cut. :)
Afther the buzz cut one step to go, the razor for the trendy look,the bald look
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 01:09:05 AM »
Yeah, I say go for it. I am totally BBC, but I buzzed my head for about 6 years before I shaved it all off. I would grow it back occasionally just for the hell of it, but I ALWAYS ended up shaving it off again. My girlfriend LOVES my bald head, she'll be upset if I ever grow it back, which I see no reason to ever want that. Like Kajun said, shave it all off before you really start to lose it because that will really effect your ego. You'll probably notice what a lot of the guys here noticed.. and increase in confidence without hair. I could grow a full head of hair, but I am so much more confident than I was before since I've been shaving. I wish you all the best of luck, make sure you keep posting so we'll know how your new look is going for you!

Offline Bishie

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 11:51:48 AM »
Well i've had a buzz cut and it feels great, although it will take some getting used to. I've also shaven my goatee, which I plan to regrow perhaps in a different style.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »
Well i've had a buzz cut and it feels great, although it will take some getting used to. I've also shaven my goatee, which I plan to regrow perhaps in a different style.

Good for you!  How short did you go.  Can you post a picture?

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
yea post a pic bro!
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Bishie

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 04:21:40 PM »
I had a #3 which is suitable for the time being, I plan to gradually become shorter until eventually completely shaven. I'll get around to posting a picture at some point, so watch this space.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »
I had a #3 which is suitable for the time being, I plan to gradually become shorter until eventually completely shaven. I'll get around to posting a picture at some point, so watch this space.

Based on your photo, it doesn't look like you've lost all that much hair yet so you can probably hang onto those locks for a good while yet.  However, summer is just around the corner, so if you REALLY want to give it a try, I'd suggest a timetable something like this:

1.  Two weeks from now, buzz down to a #2 - not a huge difference from what you've got now.

2.  Four weeks from now, buzz down to #1.5 - a little shorter, but still long enough to feel like you've got some hair.

3.  Six weeks from now, buzz down to #1 -- now you're starting to get short, but remember it will grow back to #1.5 in about three days' time.

4.  Eight weeks from now - this brings us to early June.  You can now either go all the way, or you can buzz shorter to #000, #0000, etc.  If you choose the latter, you'll quickly realize that you are, for all intensive purposes, already bald, so you might as well close the deal.

5.  And now it's time for the Big Shave.  Your hair has been buzzed pretty short for a while now, so you should have some color on your scalp.  Remember that you can grow back to a #1 in a weeks' time. It may be less scary if you do this during a vacation or a long weekend, where you don't have to face people immediately.  Gives you time to adjust.  Before you start shaving, make the commitment to yourself that you are going to shave your head EVERY DAY, for the rest of the summer, even if (and especially if) you don't like it.  No matter what.  This is extremely important.

6.  You are now officially a Sly Guy.  And this is the part where I have to warn you that it is extremely likely that you will quickly become addicted to having a smooth scalp, making it very difficult to ever go back to having hair again.   Welcome to our world!!