Author Topic: The usual story from a usual guy  (Read 13655 times)

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
The usual story from a usual guy
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:09:31 PM »
Hey, guys (and gals).  I'll be 25 in August, and I'm going through the same trauma most of you balding guys have gone through.  I've had a natural receding hairline since I was young, and for years I thought that's how things were going to stay.  I liked it because I  grew up idolizing guys like Michael Keaton and Bruce Willis, and I thought the look was distinguished and manly.  My dad and his dad have full heads of hair, but my mom's dad and her only brother went bald, and I often worried about inheriting that gene.  The worst part of worrying about it is not knowing if it's going to start, where it's going to stop, how long it's going to take--this guy () sums it up perfectly, I'm sure you guys who struggled with it will agree.

Last week, I cut my hair short and thought it looked like my frontal hair was thinning a little on one side.  I hadn't really looked at my hairline that closely in a while, and the maddening part was not being able to tell if it had changed, if I just caught my hair at the end of a growth cycle, or if it was just the lighting.  I hated the idea of using Rogaine forever, and I was leery of taking pills with sexual side effects (if your body makes DHT, I'm not sure it's a good idea to stop it).  I'm a practical guy, and I hate the idea of worrying about hair and what it might do in one year or five or ten.  Now I found myself obsessing over it!  My self-image was really damaged, especially as a guy who wants to make a living as a musician someday.

Then I found this forum.  Reading through the threads and seeing other people go through the same story (and some several years younger), I started to feel a lot better about just shaving it.  It was something I sort of wanted to do in high school anyway (at that point I was idolizing rock guys like Maynard Keenan) but never had the opportunity.  The nice thing about having hair is having options with your look, and I didn't like feeling "stuck" with the bald look forever if I do end up losing my hair.  But the idea of just shaving it off and being liberated from the weight of all this sounds really nice.  I'm a shy guy who likes to hang in the background, and sporting a bald look is scary from the perspective of drawing attention, but at the same time, it's also appealing.  I also feel like the types of chicks who would like a bald guy are the types of chicks I would like back. :)

So I bought clippers but chickened out and just went with a reasonably short buzzcut for now.  I'm still mulling over the idea of going very short or all the way, asking friends what they think (the two women I've asked say shaved heads are hot).  I wasn't even thinking about baldness or my hair or anything until last Wednesday when it hit me in the mirror, and it was a pretty nerve-wracking weekend.  I was even having trouble sleeping from worrying about it.  All of it hit me at once, and I just wanted to get all this out and say that I'll be sticking around and will let you know if I take the plunge.

Attached a few pictures to show me off.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:13:57 PM by blondeguy »

jusbnme

Re: The usual story from a usual guy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:14:42 PM »
What's up BG?  I would go for it bro., especially if it's weighing on your mind.  If you need any helpful tips or advice you definitely have come to the right place.  There are a lot of good guys here.  I think you should take that "plunge."  But give yourself a while before you try to grow it back because it will be a little of a shocker to you at first.  But I'm sure in time you will see there is no way like the "Sly" way.  O0

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:01:32 AM »
BG...welcome to SBG's....most of us here have been in that same spot as you right now....consider yourself lucky that your going bald in a time that shaving your head is "in style"....imagine the going bald in the 60's,70's and 80's where long and big hair was "in style"..i went bald in the 90's and shaving still wasn't accepted...i spent 12 yrs with a horseshoe on my head  :*)) don't let that happen to you..shave it and enjoy the freedom....i've been shaving for a couple weeks...here's a few things i like to do now....go outside on a windy day! roll down the windows in my truck! i don't run and hide when it rains..

btw.. that video is great! good find..
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:03:11 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I've got a plan formulated in my mind where I'm going to grow my beard out a bit first so I'll have something to break up the monotony of skin.  Then I'm going to wait for a Friday evening so I can do it and have a couple of days to plop on some light toner so I don't look like an anorexic Uncle Fester coming in to work on Monday.  That's the plan, anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I want to do this regardless of whether or not I'm naturally balding.  My best friend is a woman who told me every guy should shave their head at least once in their lives.  Second chick to encourage me to shave it, actually.  Maybe this isn't such a hard decision to make after all.  We'll see... :)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:05:33 AM »
Blondeguy, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!   You're best friend is a wise lay-day!!  As Lance said, I would shave it and keep it for a while - say 1 month - to really determine how you like it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 12:18:33 AM »
Hey, guys (and gals).  I'll be 25 in August, and I'm going through the same trauma most of you balding guys have gone through.  I've had a natural receding hairline since I was young, and for years I thought that's how things were going to stay.  I liked it because I  grew up idolizing guys like Michael Keaton and Bruce Willis, and I thought the look was distinguished and manly.  My dad and his dad have full heads of hair, but my mom's dad and her only brother went bald, and I often worried about inheriting that gene.  The worst part of worrying about it is not knowing if it's going to start, where it's going to stop, how long it's going to take--this guy () sums it up perfectly, I'm sure you guys who struggled with it will agree.

Last week, I cut my hair short and thought it looked like my frontal hair was thinning a little on one side.  I hadn't really looked at my hairline that closely in a while, and the maddening part was not being able to tell if it had changed, if I just caught my hair at the end of a growth cycle, or if it was just the lighting.  I hated the idea of using Rogaine forever, and I was leery of taking pills with sexual side effects (if your body makes DHT, I'm not sure it's a good idea to stop it).  I'm a practical guy, and I hate the idea of worrying about hair and what it might do in one year or five or ten.  Now I found myself obsessing over it!  My self-image was really damaged, especially as a guy who wants to make a living as a musician someday.

Then I found this forum.  Reading through the threads and seeing other people go through the same story (and some several years younger), I started to feel a lot better about just shaving it.  It was something I sort of wanted to do in high school anyway (at that point I was idolizing rock guys like Maynard Keenan) but never had the opportunity.  The nice thing about having hair is having options with your look, and I didn't like feeling "stuck" with the bald look forever if I do end up losing my hair.  But the idea of just shaving it off and being liberated from the weight of all this sounds really nice.  I'm a shy guy who likes to hang in the background, and sporting a bald look is scary from the perspective of drawing attention, but at the same time, it's also appealing.  I also feel like the types of chicks who would like a bald guy are the types of chicks I would like back. :)

So I bought clippers but chickened out and just went with a reasonably short buzzcut for now.  I'm still mulling over the idea of going very short or all the way, asking friends what they think (the two women I've asked say shaved heads are hot).  I wasn't even thinking about baldness or my hair or anything until last Wednesday when it hit me in the mirror, and it was a pretty nerve-wracking weekend.  I was even having trouble sleeping from worrying about it.  All of it hit me at once, and I just wanted to get all this out and say that I'll be sticking around and will let you know if I take the plunge.

Attached a few pictures to show me off.

Just shave man, and set a timetable to keep it and then reevaluate.

1) You are a musician who needs an edgy look to catch people's attention.   The sly look is definitely cutting edge.

2)  Your lady friends like the style.

3)  If by some chance you hate it, you can grow back the hair you have left.   But I must warn you, I highly doubt you'll hate it.   You never have to mess with hair again, and just wait until you actually experience the shaving process, it's very addicting/cool.    There is something about putting on shaving gel/cream/oil and going to town that I think most of us would never give up in a million years.

4) I noticed you wear eye glasses like myself.   The sly look works great with both eye glasses and sunglasses.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:20:33 AM by David »
bald for life

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:12:56 AM »
Howdy Preston  :-*

welcome to the SBG's  :)  great intro!
Bald is a hot look, and it looks good on you.
Whenever you're ready to take the plunge, go for it!
You won't regret it  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 07:13:18 AM »
Welcome, first, two words..........SHAVE IT!!! I think you could do the SLY look quite well. Especially with the glasses. There was a guy on Deal Or No Deal the other night that was rockin the SLY look with glasses and no facial hair. I agree with what the others said about time too. Give it at least a month to decide if you like it. If it's not for you, it's only hair and it will grow back.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 07:21:26 AM »
First off Welcome BG.  Secondly, to echo the other sly brothers, go for it.  You'll no doubt feel better once you do.  Most of your anxiety I'm sure is in the waiting.  Get it done and I'm certain you'll be happy you did.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
 :) Ahoy, Blondeguy and welcome to the forum. You'll find experience, cameraderie, and wry banter here. We all know what you're going through. I'd follow Lance's advice: give yourself ample time--a month or two, perhaps the summer--to get used to your new sly image. When I was your age [back in the 60s and 70s] my problem was worse, as 1) only Nazi skinheads, space aliens, and Buddhist ascetics shaved their heads; and 2) my hair and hairline were strong at the front. In time I avoided double mirrors that revealed what was fast disappearing in the rear. Judging from your pics, you're seven eighths there already. So move on to your new image without agonizing; if you can, avoid much ado about very little. After the deed, send us some pics. I don't think you'll regret shaving it all off or that you'll reverse your decision. All best, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:07:45 AM »
Blondemeister....WELCOME!!! O0

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 05:59:28 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!  I'll post the after shots if/when it happens!  I can't help feeling sort of on the fence about it, but SBG sure has me pumped about the idea.  I read shaving your head is often representative of a change or rebirth in your life, and I could use one of those!

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »
Welcome, first, two words..........SHAVE IT!!!
Actually those were the 5th and 6th words. ;D But I agree with them anyway, go for it, and I too welcome you to the SBG blondeguy.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »
I had the same problem you did, i say bic it, you will liberate yourself when you bic it, i felt liberated when i went smooth

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 07:44:58 PM »
Welcome blondeguy
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: