Author Topic: Thinking about shaving it off  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Sly Guy in Training
Thinking about shaving it off
« on: March 09, 2007, 12:33:33 AM »
Sup guys,

I was browsing the internet for some stuff on baldness and came across this site.  I've been losing hair for a few years now and I think by not shaving I am just putting off the inevitable.  The biggest hold up I have is that I feel like I am much too skinny to shave my head, I don't want to look like a POW or a chemo patient.  I'm 5'8 and 140 lbs. 

I've read through most of the stuff in this section about deciding whether to shave or not and the thing I took from most of them is that it just matters if you like your shaved head or not.  I'm sure I can adjust to it, but I don't really want to go around looking stranger than I have to!  Anyway, here's a pic, let me know if you think this shaved head thing can work. 

As you can probably tell by the picture, I am a long distance runner so I probably won't be bulking up any time soon either.  Here is a head shot to give you a better idea of my head and face.

What do you guys think?  Do you see someone of my size being able to pull this off?  Opinions are very welcome.

Keep up the good work on the site, I really like what I see!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:50:09 PM by Jeremy »

Offline Jeremy

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Thinking about shaving it off
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 12:37:34 AM »
I forgot to include that I have tried cutting it short (really really short, probably a 2 on the buzz scale) and it worked out pretty well.  But having nothing and a 2 are very different things in my opinion. 

Thanks again

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 01:30:51 AM »
Sup guys,

I was browsing the internet for some stuff on baldness and came across this site.  I've been losing hair for a few years now and I think by not shaving I am just putting off the inevitable.  The biggest hold up I have is that I feel like I am much too skinny to shave my head, I don't want to look like a POW or a chemo patient.  I'm 5'8 and 140 lbs. 

I've read through most of the stuff in this section about deciding whether to shave or not and the thing I took from most of them is that it just matters if you like your shaved head or not.  I'm sure I can adjust to it, but I don't really want to go around looking stranger than I have to!  Anyway, here's a pic, let me know if you think this shaved head thing can work. 

As you can probably tell by the picture, I am a long distance runner so I probably won't be bulking up any time soon either.  Here is a head shot to give you a better idea of my head and face.

What do you guys think?  Do you see someone of my size being able to pull this off?  Opinions are very welcome.

Keep up the good work on the site, I really like what I see!!

Dude, absolutely you can pull it off.   Forget any preconceived notions you may have heard or read about, all it takes to pull it off is confidence in yourself.

Remember it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.   
bald for life

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 05:17:06 AM »
First off Welcome to the group Jeremy, I agree with David, I think you can pull it off. It does have alot to do with it weather or not you like it, but as alot of people on this site have said before, it was also a big confidence booster, instead of trying to cover up their thinning hair and always wondering if other people notice weather or not that you are going bald, shaveing it all off shows you have nothing to hide, and can be a liberating experiance!

On a side note if anyone of your fellow race competitors ask you can tell them that it cuts down on the wind resistance and you shaved a whole 2 seconds off your time. J/K ;D
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 05:29:35 AM »
Welcome jeremy. don't see any reason you can't pull it off. if you are happy, then that is what matters. you don't seem happy now, so give it a shot. at worst you can grow it back.  it can be back at a #2 length pretty quick. best of luck. stick around awhile and hang out.PAUL

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 06:52:51 AM »
Welcome Jeremy.  From your photos I'd say you'd have no problem with the sly look.  You'll never know until you do it and you can always grow it back if you don't like it.   
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:54:28 AM »
I say go for it, and I like OCH's line about shavin a couple seconds off your time. If you like it, and I suspect you will, go for it. Give it about 30 days or so and see what you think. Welcome to the forum BTW
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 08:37:55 AM »
ditto what these guys said...you seem to have plenty of hair left though and it would grow back very quick if ya dont like it....i recommend shaving it on a friday..that way you have all weekend to get used to it.
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 09:11:32 AM »
excellent advise from everyone, basically there is no reason you can't give it a shot, and look great, not-too- mention end up loving it. If it's not for you, being less than a 2, you can easily grow back to that. Welcome and keep us informed to your decisions, and trials/tribulations, if you have any.   ;)
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »
Welcome Jeremy!  Glad you stopped in for some advice and I hope you stay a while.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 05:32:54 PM »
Welcome Jeremy!  Give it a shot... and honestly, if you're truly worried about being too skinny (damn... now that's a problem) and being bald... grow some type of facial hair.  I would venture to say that most bald men do wear facial hair of some sort...

spaceape48

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »
If your woried about size then pick up some weights. I don't think that is an issue judging from your photos though. I was on the opposite end of the spectrum when I was considering it. I was too big and didn't want to look like Uncle Fester. I realized after shaving for the first time that I was waisting my time worrying over nothing. We tend to look at ourselfs with way too much ridicule sometimes.

It's hair man, it will grow back if it's not your style. Most everyone that tries it stays with it though. If you go through with it post some pics.  O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »
Welcome, Jeremy!!!

Hey, man....I'm a late-comer here...but everyone that precedes the robmeister has great points:

Two of the best:

1)  We are much more critical of ourselves than others.
2)  It will grow back if you feel weird, awkward or otherwise don't feel like it's "you"

I will add that...you have an athletic build....lean and mean, man

The so called "stigma" about skinny + bald is IMO unhealthy skinny...aka..'skrawny' (pencil neck stuff, bro)

yer not skrawny....SHAVE IT!!

If work is an issue....do it on a Friday so you have a couple days to get used to yourself in the mirror..

Better yet....take Friday and/or Monday off....if ya feel freaked out (which I doubt)...you'll have 3 days growth before yer back at work (and that's not far from a #2 clipper job)   O0

Give it a try, dude.....it's a win-win situation O0

Offline Jeremy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 10:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  It feels good to actually see people saying that it is okay to shave your head.  Often you will be discouraged by whoever for whatever reason, it is refreshing to see a different point of view.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that I am still very strongly considering it.  I gotta talk it over with some people (the woman mainly, haha).    I suspect that it will be at least a couple of weeks before I shave.  But when I do, I will make sure to get some pics up.  I'll probably post another thread to let you guys know I did so.

In the mean time, I'll hang around here and throw in a few posts every now and then if thats cool with everyone. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 11:17:53 PM »
In the mean time, I'll hang around here and throw in a few posts every now and then if thats cool with everyone. 

Hang 'round as long as you want.  I think Robmeister was here for about 3 or 4 months before he shaved his head...LOL.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.