Author Topic: Having anxieties and wondering what to expect  (Read 13180 times)

Offline Chuck

• Learning the way of Sly
Having anxieties and wondering what to expect
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
I found this site and I can't tell everyone how much better I feel just after reading many of the posts.  Yall seem to have a true brotherhood that I hope I can be apart of one day.  Being that this is my first post, here is my BRIEF story and my question.

I am 25 years old and have always had a thick head of hair, until recently.  Because the girls loved my curly hair so much, I kept is fairly long.  About a year ago I noticed that I was drastically thinning.  Because my hair has always been such an asset, I PANICKED and immediately got on Propecia, Rogaine, and even started looking into hair transplants.  All the while, I have always considered just shaving it all and just not worrying about it anymore.  Well, I recently have started having some side effects from the propecia and am going to get off of it immediately.  Doctors definitely need to do a better job of warning you about that crap before they prescribe it.  I know that the second I get off of the propecia, my hair is going to start shedding in droves. 

So, the time has come for me to take the plunge and shave it all off.  Finally, here is my question.  I don't want to come off as being a pompous ass, but I am really worried about the reaction from the ladies.  I have read many of the posts talking about how the women love to rub your head and how people ask lots of questions about it, but does that translate into sexual attraction?  I know that I need to keep my confidence level high and just be myself, but I can't help but wonder if I will get the same reaction from the ladies.  Is there anything that I should be prepared for?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and/or advice. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 07:06:14 AM by Chuck »

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Having anxieties and wondering what to expect
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »
Welcome to the group, Chuck!  The lay-days like a smooth dome as much as they like longer hair, if not more.  Some might at first find it weird and different, but with time they will start to like to new look.  You might even find a few girls who don't like it and ask you to grow it back.  Trust me for every one of those, there is three, at least, lay-days who really dig bald.  depending on how long your hair is you may want to do a transition to shaving it.  Big thing just look in the mirror and admire how sly you're when you shave it all off. :) O0
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:59:09 AM »
Chuck, first let me welcome you to Sly Bald Guys!  I'm glad you found us.

Have you ever been somewhere and noticed a smoking hot chick and come to find out that she's with one ugly dude?  This happens all the time and the reason for it is how much confidence the man has.  Sure there's going to be ladies that like men with hair and ladies that like men bald, but most importantly, the ladies love the guy with confidence.  From what you've said, it sounds like you have plenty of confidence with your current hairstyle, just transfer that over when you shave your head and you won't skip a beat.  Heck, you will probably find, like the rest of us, that it gives you more confidence.  Just think, you will never have to worry about your hair being messed up or that your thinning might show.  You'll KNOW that you head is rockin!

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:38:04 PM »
Chuck, welcome!

From time to time I like to welcome new members with words of wisdom. Words of a wise bald man.......named Noner

Today I have had another spark of inspiration and would like to relate to your posting with the following analogy I have contemplated today while eating a Big Mac:

Hair is like a wetsuit: Sure you are warmer with it on, but you look so much cooler when you take it off.

Thank you, thank you.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:46:37 PM »
Welcome to the brotherhood Chuck; glad you joined us.

I agree with Tyler about the confidence thing, I think that if you chose to shave it that your confidence level will grow, you may even feel relieved that now you're not worrying about it any more. I also agree with ar3inc, there are alot of laydies that love the smooth bald head, and there are some that dont, but they all love a confident man. And as others have said before that if you decide that you don't like being SLY you can always grow it back, and check out your other options, but shaveing it all off, is probably the cheapest way to go, and as far as I'm concerned it's the best way to go. Also I could be wrong, but realy do your homework on transplants, I don't think that even they are a permenant solution. And lastly I'm not sure of the site but I think that there is one that lets you upload your picture and see what you would look like with no hair. I'm sure someone else here can hook you up with a link to that site.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Brad

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:02:04 PM »
Welcome Chuck,

I am a pretty new Member here.   I have been Sly for a few years now.  I was never a lady killer.  But after shaving my head I have had women come up and rub the Chrome.  I have had a few that Say I should grow it back.  For me it has been a totally exhilarting experince.

With Being Sly there is no worry about medical side effects.

Just remember Ladies love things that sparkle.  Nothing Sparkles like the chrome. 8)

chadoweasel

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »
Welcome Chuck. You sound just like me. My hair not only grows curly, it grows in ringlets..haha. Like you said though, the women loved it and I always kept it long. I will tell you that I have had just as many women compliment me on the shaved head as I ever got with the curly long hair.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:57:46 PM »
Welcome Chuck. I would have to agree with others that have mentioned your own level of confidence. If you feel good about yourself and your appearance, it doesn't matter if you have a full head of hair  :/O or are SLY  O0 . Personally, my wife doesn't like it, but has been less & less vocal about her disapproval since I shaved it off two months ago. However, all her (hot) friends have given the Schro-dome the courtesy rub. Needless to say, it makes it worth it. Eventually, my lovely wife will come around. If she doesn't, oh well, her loss. I'm sure you'll find ladies that like hair and those that prefer the sly look.

I also felt some anxiety about shaving my head, but knew the look would be better than the "horseshoe of hair" that was just around the corner for me. Keep that in mind next time you look in the mirror.

Enjoy it! Embrace it! Be proud of it!
Later,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
Welcome Chuck. Hair Sucks. O0

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »
Welcome Chuck. Hair Sucks. O0

Paul is a man of so many words.  But those are the truest I seen come from him. ;)
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
So, you're a serial dater, eh? :)

I've got to agree with Tyler on the confidence part. It's all about confidence, no matter what you look like.
That being said, being bald oftentimes adds to one's sex appeal - many women like bald men.
On the other hand, and to be perfectly frank, some women might prefer guys with lots of hair (to grab and
hold on to during certain [censored] activities). But as I said, many women like bald men, so don't let that
discourage you.

If you've shaven your head and you're self-conscious about your new looks, then you'll sacrifice most of
the sex appeal you've gained by being bald. But if you're both bald and confident about it, then you've got a definite advantage!

So, my advice would be: shave it, get to love it, and get out there and exemplify that attitude. And I'll guarantee
you, you'll get many pleasant responses (translates into more dates in your case). But please, spare us the gory details of your dating adventures... ;)

Good luck, and welcome to the club. No need to hope you'll be a part of this "brotherhood" one day - you already are.

Harry
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:03:33 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
 ;) Welcome, Chuck.  Well, all the guys said what needs to be said. Let me add, I know the agony you're going through. The sooner you connect with your future bald-handsome image, own it, perpetuate it, the sooner you'll get the confidence that functions as a chick magnet. The "cures" are all bogus and some have unwanted side effects. Bald is honest, in-your-face, and masculine. Women, read adult women, are mostly attracted to that. My wife is. See the thread by Cam, The Funnel Weaver, and Hardkore, if you need corroboration. It's just a new phase, dictated by Mother Nature. If you're made of vital stuff, you'll embrace it. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 08:39:20 PM »
Welcome Chuck....(tired of that yet?) I agree with and echo what everyone else has said. Especially Dr Noner and Paul. It's extremely liberating when you go SLY, you feel like there is nothing you can't do. I'm kinda in the same boat as Schro-jak, wife doesn't like it very much and has asked me to grow it back. (I have a full head o hair naturally) But even if my wife doesn't like it, I do. That's really all I care about. I have had countless customers, (male and female) tell me it looks great. Once you go SLY, you won't want to go back.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Chuck

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:01:41 AM »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of the feedback.  It definitely helps me understand what to expect from those around me once I take this step.  I'm gathering up my courage to take the "sly" leap.  I know that once I finally do it, I will feel like a million pounds has been taken off of me.  I will most definitely post the final results.

I cant say enough about the kindness from everyone on this site.  I love this place!  Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and anxieties.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:09:18 AM »
No problem Chuck! Post up some before and after pics. You know we'll give you our honest opinion.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Enter your email address: