Author Topic: Another new guy going Sly  (Read 1070 times)

Offline DonM

• Sly Guy in Training
  • DonM
Another new guy going Sly
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »
Hello gents!  2 weeks ago after years of hair loss I did some research (slyBaldGuys kept coming up) bought a Headblade Sport with some sensor blades, and commenced to shaving. I must say it was quite an experience, the electric I used for the initial cut ran out of juice, so I had patches on the back of my head until it recharged.   The Headblade was a learning curve for sure and after a couple of nicks got the hang of it.

Needless to say, when the wife got home she got a surprise "What did you do?" 

Why?  I have a history of balding family members and got tired of the hair to thinning hair line. 20 years of wearing a Kevlar helmet probably didn't help any.

Anyway, you have a great site, lots of good info for a new guy!

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: Another new guy going Sly
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »
welcome don, feels great doesn't it? I've never used a headblade, but heard they are ok, I mostly use a de razor (recent convert) and a fusion as a back up, if you get any irritation, try using an ice cube and an alum block, works wonders

Offline DonM

• Sly Guy in Training
  • DonM
Re: Another new guy going Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:21:27 AM »
Thank you for the Welcome!  It feels awesome!  Only time will tell, but I don't see going back as an option, I like the look and feel of Sly.

I have tackled the irritation already by buying the Headblade ATX using Sensor 3's I already had, the Sport was a challenge at first, the ATX is the bomb, very easy to use.  I have a safety razor but am reluctant to try it yet, I know the damage that can be done just on your face. Now if I could get rid of the tan lines I will be set. A day on the boat and a day at the beach got rid of the white wall look :)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• One smooth dude
  • Sly Jr.
Re: Re: Another new guy going Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »
Welcome man!

As a fellow Floridian (saw your other post) you may want to invest in the HeadLube with the SPF 30 in it.  If you think dandruff is gross, wait till you have a peeling head.

Offline DonM

• Sly Guy in Training
  • DonM
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:31:34 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I tried Neutrogena ultra sheer 30 SPF and like it so far, it is not oily and gives a drier feel to it. I already got to experience the flaky peeling scalp after a day on the boat and a little too much sun. I had the Bimini up but the glare got me even with sunscreen. It was a quick way to get rid of the white head, lol

Offline Focus

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
Welcome here.

I'm also a (new) headblader - 1 and 1/2 of experience.

After months of electric shaver, I really love the headblade since first use (but their blades are not great).

Have a nice trip on this forum

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »
Welcome, Don! I personally alternate between a DE and the ATX depending on time (DE on my days off, ATX when pressed for time. Both give me a very nice shave. (I did use clippers for a while when I had surgeries on the noggin several months back) I see that you retired from the Army, thank you for your service as well.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.