Author Topic: Noob  (Read 10181 times)

Offline Balderenz

• Learning the way of Sly
Noob
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:07:16 PM »
hey guys,

Was reading through some threads and decided ill probably be rocking a bald head for a while so figured id post. Im 24, receding at the temple, balding at the back and thin on top...sounds great i know! i used to have the longest thickest hair in college where girls would actually come up to me to comment on it. So now that its thinning i had cut it kinda long on top and short on sides (you'll see in pics). It doesn't effect my confidence much, except if I'm at the beach or something and it just sticks straight up (not even to the front or sides...just up lol). all in all it doesn't look horrible, but Id like to see what i look like without it.

I can tell people notice the thinning up top sometimes but no one has actually given a comment on it besides the "you should grow your hair back long!". But i know that wouldn't work at this point in time.  I "broke the ice" about the thinning in front of a couple peers at a bar telling them about it. They just all jumped up and wanted to be the one to shave it off.

I also surf a lot and train jiu jitsu so sometimes gets ripped out and obviously doesn't look great soaked . Anyway, i bought wahl balding clippers and got a #1 guard with it. any tips before i shave this dome ? thinking it may be too thin on top for 1/8th look but could always just take the guard off and see how it looks with no guard. ill post some BETTER pics later but any immediate tips for the buzzing process? like how do you not get hair all over the floor while doing it? thx for any tips !

This is what it looked like long

What it looks like now (style, i know you can't really see thinning here)

Heres a side

ill post better before/after pics tomo when its done
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:29:38 AM by Balderenz »

Offline Balderenz

Re: Noob
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »
btw sorry to disappoint the facial hair is gone
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:31:56 AM by Balderenz »

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »
Welcome,
 shame about the facial hair, I liked the mo. 
When I clippered, I just did it over the bath. 
Looking forward to seeing the after pictures

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:31:40 AM »
Welcome and good luck! FWIW, I can barely see where you're thinning, but nothing wrong with going all the way!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:13 AM »
Lay a towel over the bathroom sink, bend over the sink, buzz away! Good luck, I'm betting you will love it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 06:18:20 AM »
For 'hair on the floor' ... go out on the back porch to shave your head the first time. Hose it down or use a leaf blower to clean up the mess.  Or sit out in the grass with an extension cord.  You don't need to 'see' what you are doing with balding clippers. Just go by feel.

You will rock the buzz no guard or bald look.  You already look like you have a lot of confidence. Looks like you are in good physical shape. Just add a bald head and there you are. You might consider a return to the beard.  Both go well together.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
Hello Balderenz and welcome to one of the most supportive groups of men I have ever had the pleasure to come across!

I am a student in Barber School, about half way through the program.  So, I am kind of predisposed to giving guys' heads a really critical scan.  It is the first thing we do before we begin any kind of haircut/treatment.

Hey you had a great run as a Fabio look-alike but that ship has sailed my friend!.  I could spot the thinning hair right away.  I can even see that the color and texture of the hair on the sides of your head is very different than the hair which (temporarily) remains on the top of your head.  You are thinning on a very fast track now, (you must have a lot of free testosterone my friend!).  You are definitely best to take control of this situation before it becomes unsightly.

I also disagree with the facial hair committee.  Once you shave your head people's eyes will naturally be drawn to your eyes.  Why put something else on your cranium to distract them?  You have that natural, "clean cut All-American boy next door" look.  The "scruffy face" and the "lumberjack look" are not nearly as popular as they were just a few years ago.  Clean cut and "fit" is the new style we barbers are seeing.

Keep the head and face clean shaven; don't let yourself become overweight; and you will have more "action" than you know what to do with.  (And yes, all of that rampant testosterone that is making your hair fall out is going to come in really handy after you shave your head!).

Offline Balderenz

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
 Thanks for the head scan! the picture with long hair is when i was 20 so 4 years have passed since then.. Again I'm definitely not afraid to experiment with my hair nor do i think its a major issue. There are much bigger problems in life than some hair falling out. so i think now is a good time to do it. like you said, you don't want it to become unsightly.

Anyway, back on track... does anybody have ideas for SPF for when i go surfing? i know my face gets very tan/ burnt when I'm out in the water for a while and don't wanna burn my head that bad right after i shave it (i will be surfing tomorrow). any things out there that are good when I'm out in the water??

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »
Any decent high quality sunscreen will work.  If your face burns easily, your scalp will too, perhaps even more easily since the skin is thin and has not been exposed to intense sunlight.  Go with a high SPF factor at least to start.  A burned scalp hurts like h*ll and the peeling afterwards is very unsightly.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 10:55:58 AM »
I use Neutrogena spray on sunscreen.  It is super easy to apply, (spray and rub a bit just to ensure coverage).  It dries up naturally without leaving any oily/greasy coating, (so it does not block the pores and make my head sweat even more than it naturally does). And it stays on while swimming - but washes off easily with soap in the shower.

It is a bit expensive, (something like $13 for a small aerosol bottle) but it is Neutrogena brand and it is nice to know that it is being made by a company whose main business is skin care.  It comes in a variety of SPF values.  I use a fairly high SPF on my head and face and less on my arms and legs which seem to handle the sun better than my scalp does.

Offline Balderenz

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »
Well, here it is...Some before and after. I'm actually very happy with it and feel like a badass. my friends are kinda sketched out by it so far but i don't even care i love it.

These are my nasty before (i say nasty because i took the worst possible pics of the thinning)

And then just a normal before after

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Before wasn't too disastrous....but after suits you pretty well!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
Good decision.  The new look really suits you.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
Looks great man! Keep it or go fully shaved.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »
Looks great, much better.  Glad your happy with it