Author Topic: Acne? Razor burn? Help!  (Read 21756 times)

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: Acne? Razor burn? Help!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
I also had trouble shaving my upper lip, but for the past 3 weeks I have been using Bald Guyz Pre-Shave
Scrub before shaving and it seems to have done the trick.   The results have been great so far.  So, maybe
you need some good pre-shave scrub to shave your upper lip (and doesn't have to be from Bald Guyz).

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
ycartt, I use the Gillette Fusion, yourself? And Math Guy, I'll trust your advise on this one, thanks  O0

ycartt

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 06:42:54 AM »
Thanks, Math and Peter!  I have been using a double-edge safety razor on my face up until about a month ago when I started shaving my head.  So I've been using a Schick Quatro on my head which isn't that comfy....was using that on my face as well.  Just started trying the Fusion on my head and its comfy on my face...blades are just very costly.  I only seem to get the knicks on my upper lip when shaving with the DE safety razor.  Its a very comfy shave and does a great job with very little to no irritation or bumps.  I've been using it for about a year.  I also have to state that during most of that year I had a goatee and mustache so  I didn't have to worry about shaving the upper lip.  Seems the knicks come into play when I'm trying to shave that hard to get zone right under my nose.

Are you both using the same razor for face and head?  Seems for me the part I have the hardest time getting smooth on my head is in the back on the lower half.

BTW, this forum rocks!  Lots of good, useful information and lots of great guys willing to help out!

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:15 PM »
Yea brother!, same razor for both the head and face. You're right about the blades being costly, all that money adds up, but in my personal opinion it's worth it because I get a fantastic shave from them. I do use different shave creams though, Head Slick for the dome and Edge shave gel for the face. Keep the posts coming ycartt, you'll find loads of useful information on here.  O0

ycartt

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  Sink or shower?

Btw, your dome looks good....good shape.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »
The Fusion is my choice for the dome and it really cuts down on the irritation factor. Mach 3 for the mug. The Fusion blades cost more, but also last a long time. It also depends on the frequency you use it...every day (preferred) or every 3-4 days (which to me, can make it dull much faster if it has to cut through thicker hair). It helps to dry it off with a few sprays of rubbing alcohol once you're finished.

ycartt

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2009, 02:07:58 PM »
Thanks, rob6, for that tip about the alcohol on the blades.  I believe you are shaving in the shower?  So are you taking your blade out each day and spraying with alcohol?  Is this mainly to sanitize the blade and/or to help it last longer?

Also, can you use the regular Fusion blades on a Fusion Power razor?  Was just wondering if it was a gimmick by Gillette that you had to use Fusion Power blades with Fusion Power razor so they can make a little extra dough.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »
Guys guys don't worry about costs anymore.   Didn't you read Tank's post about olive oil?  Once you are done shaving put your razor in olive oil  (read his post under product review).   One fusion blade used to last him a week, and now since he's been putting the blade in olive oil he has used the same blade for 2 FULL MONTHS!!!  !B@
Just do it and watch how much money you save.

ycartt, I use Mach 3 for my head and some disposable razor for my face.  It's really one of those cheap small razors, and that's because the hairs on my cheeks are still thin (even though I'm 24  :)) so something like Mach 3 would be too sharp and not needed.  :popo
I also struggle with the back of my head.  The way I deal with it is by shaving only with the grain.  It doesn't become too smooth but I am getting an electric razor soon so I will see if that will be helpful.  For me going against the grain at the back of my head would take forever to finish.  Too hard for my sensitive skin. 

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
Thanks, rob6, for that tip about the alcohol on the blades.  I believe you are shaving in the shower?  So are you taking your blade out each day and spraying with alcohol?  Is this mainly to sanitize the blade and/or to help it last longer?

Also, can you use the regular Fusion blades on a Fusion Power razor?  Was just wondering if it was a gimmick by Gillette that you had to use Fusion Power blades with Fusion Power razor so they can make a little extra dough.

ycartt:
I don't keep the Fusion in the shower...I store it in a drawer after use and yeah, the alcohol dries off any excess water and I guess the sanitizing is an added bonus! I use the regular "manual" fusion blades on the "power" handle and vice-versa. I received one free in the mail so I have both and both work just fine with either blade. It's a gimmick if you ask me. Same for Mach3 power and manual blades and handles.
Hope that helps!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »

I think the "non" power blades fit the power.  I'm devoted to Fusion, but after two razors' motors died I gave up and went to non-power.  Here in New Orleans I can get 8 blades for $23 & change, so I figure $3 a week, I was able to get 14 days just w/ my face, now I change weekly.  When you cost in the haircuts for the wispy combover-$30 a visit a year and a half ago, I'm still ahead (no pun intended!)  Just gotta have my smooth noggin fix every morning--best part of the day in many ways.  Smooth & sly, coffee in hand, reading the local rag on a weekend is really nice. O0

ycartt

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »
Thanks all!  Its like buying a printer.  They entice you with a cheap price for the printer but sock it to you with the cost of ink replacement. 

That's a very interesting fact about the olive oil.  I'll have to find that post and check it out.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »
Thanks all!  Its like buying a printer.  They entice you with a cheap price for the printer but sock it to you with the cost of ink replacement. 

That's a very interesting fact about the olive oil.  I'll have to find that post and check it out.

YCARTT, it's great to have you taking part, and we can see you're from Mississippi.  Why don't you post up in Introductions and tell us a little about yourself?  If you're from the southern part of the Magnolia state we're planning a get together in July and it would be great if you could join us for all or part of it.  Great Dome, just fill in some details for the guys.

ycartt

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2009, 07:41:36 PM »
haha...what do you want to know?  yes, from MS, the Jackson area...capital in the central part of the state.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
haha...what do you want to know?  yes, from MS, the Jackson area...capital in the central part of the state.
That's good, just open up a piece in Introductions and tell us what you think would get every one involved with you.  We're a pretty amenable crowd, except for one guy who wears red and whites, but we'll keep him away from you. >:D >:D >:D

ycartt

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »
Done!  Don't beat me up in there! ha