Author Topic: If I shave, my hair will not grow back fast if I hate it  (Read 6055 times)

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
If I shave, my hair will not grow back fast if I hate it
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
We see time after time people coming here asking us for advice.   They usually give us a picture and tell us whether or not going bald with fit them well.   We usually give our honest opinions and one thing we often
point out is if you don't like your shaved head you can always grow your hair back.  In other words, it's 100% reversible.   But then the questioner points out that while it is true hair will grow back the problem is it will not grow fast enough.   If you have a combover it will take a long long time to be able to cover your bald spots again.  This prevents many men facing Male Pattern Baldness from shave their heads.   What advice would you give to such a person to reduce their fears?  (I will give my own advice once I reply to this topic).  Remember your reply to this message can, and probably will, make a difference in someone's life.   Thanks guys.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: If I shave, my hair will not grow back fast if I hate it
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:48:31 PM »
A combover should not be grown back under any circumstances.  Anyone who  has one should get rid of it whether he decides to shave his head or not.  You can't make any progress along the road to slyness until you're ready to give up the combover forever. 

It's true that if someone is balding, the hair will grow back slower in the balding areas.  But if you're going bald, you're living on borrowed time anyway.  Sooner or later you have to accept the fact that you're going to have to make do with significantly less hair.

Offline samoanseb8

• Sly Jr.
  • when life hands you lemons...?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »
Hahah I just had a flashback to when I was in highschool and my dad went to a hair dressser instead of letting my mum cut his hair like she usually did. And he came back with a combover and my mum and all my sisters cracked up laughing...Now that i think of it I feel really bad because It must be a terrible feeling. But he has been sly for 6 years now and he looks great! He looks like Gordon from sesame street now haha

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »
From one who's been there, if you've got a combover you know you're losing your hair.  From that point, if you've inquired about the sly option you're really ready to ditch the flap anyway.  But what slows you down are the worries, and inertia--that's a male thing.  Men don't change hair styles often--some never.  We also don't change barbers or wallets for that matter.  This is just hard wired into us.  So, in addition to the worries about head shape and reaction of our family and friends, the inertia has to be overcome.  Those of us who have gotten to sly somehow overcame it--in my case for some reason when I sat in the chair--already knowing that at some point I had to get real--I just told Louis "Buzz it."  From there it was a short eleven day trip to sly.  Others it might take longer.  In one action I undid two established facts of my life, hair style and barber.  Barber since I could buzz myself then and that I only realized after another trip to Louis to take it to a 2 from a 3.  I did the 1 myself, and w/ the urging of my cousin who was already sly, I did the deed four days later. 
How we get to the guy to make such a basic move is an issue, and it's hard because of our ingrained habits.
By the way, I still have the same wallet--it's at least 10 years old and I have no desire to change it at all and no one could persuade me to do so.

Offline Phil Man

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »
Dear God SaintC its like you've described my whole process....

And the creepy part is you got me on the wallet issue as well! Mine is over twelve years old and is just hanging on by a thread  :*))

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
But if you're going bald, you're living on borrowed time anyway.  Sooner or later you have to accept the fact that you're going to have to make do with significantly less hair.

So true.  To any guys on the fence:  Take control now.