Author Topic: Exfoliating the scalp  (Read 12868 times)

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
Exfoliating the scalp
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:08 AM »
Good Morrow!  As I read various posts about preparing to shave I noticed a bunch of you made sure to exfoliate first. I always figured the razor did that for me.  I could never figure out why until my wife explained it to me.  Removing the dead skin removes an extra layer on top of the scalp, providing better access to the skin for the razor.  Ok, so I have the why of it now.

In practice, I haven't found much of a difference.  I've tried various exfoliaters, but my shave seems about the same.  Is it possible I'm doing something wrong?  Can you good folks provide me with info about how you do it and the results you achieve?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Exfoliating the scalp
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:08:33 AM »
I buy the cheap apricot scrub at the dollar store, then I add a bunch of sugar to it, does a great job.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
The only time I exfoliated , was to get rid of skin flakes that the blade did not remove.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Professor Rorschack

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:05:57 PM »
I've heard a number of reasons to exfoliate, but I mostly do it for two reasons. The first, like Magoo, is to get the peeling skin flakes off my head. The second is because I have heard that the exfoliating process helps to soften and loosen the hairs before shaving. This is supposed to help make the shave process smoother and more comfortable.

The two exfoliators I have tried are the Bee Bald Scrub and HeadShed by headblade. Ultimately, I landed on HeadShed because it's a bit rougher and I feel a get a deeper scrub out of it over the Bee Bald. Others may feel it's a little too rough and prefer the milder Bee Bald Scrub, but that's obviously a matter of preference  O0
"Mere longevity cannot render life meaningful any more than brevity has the power to make it meaningless."
-Peter Rollins

Offline stn87

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:16:58 PM »
I use a scrub Kiehl's having microparticles damask.
exfoliation causes the dead cell is removed and also allow raise the " ingrown hairs "

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
I use Head Shed every other day or so.  Not sure that it makes a huge difference, to be honest, but I do get nice shaves, so why argue with that?

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 09:11:17 AM »
Well, I kept at it and am now noticing a closer shave that lasts most of the day.  It's 11:00 AM here right now and I finished shaving at about 5:45 AM.  Still feels smooth.  I had sample of the Headblade Headshed and that seemed to be the best exfoliator I've found so far.  But I'll probably be going to WalMart to see what's available locally. 

Thanks guys!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »
In all honesty, I have found that a few teaspoons of kosher salt work better than the scrubs I bought at the drug store. I keep a plastic cup of the salts in my shower and only use them about twice a week.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »
I shall give that a try and report back.  Not sure if we have kosher salt in the house, but margarita salt is pretty much the same thing.  ;)

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
I used shower gel to wash and shaving gel to shave. I don't feel or find the need for much else.

I'm not metrosexual in the slighest

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
To be fair I didn't notice much difference in exfoliating first so now I just do it after the shave in the shower. Feels awesome scrubbing that head and I know it's super duper clean for my post shave balm

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
I started using an apricot scrub a few months ago.  I did notice a difference in the quality of my shave.  I use it every couple of days and my shave is much closer and I stay smooth longer.  If you haven't tried it I would recommend you do.  It's not a "metro" thing, it actually does contribute to the quality of your head shave.