Author Topic: Deciding to make the plunge?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Picard

• Learning the way of Sly
Deciding to make the plunge?
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »
I have been toying with the idea of shaving my head for a while (to the dismay of some of my female friends who don't understand what I'm going through). I am 18, and have been noticing gradual hairloss for quite some time, while I still have quite a thick crop, my hairline is quite noticeably receded when I pull it back (though it has always been high), and I seem to be losing it faster and faster. I awoke with roughly 30 hairs on my pillow today after washing it the night before.... I kinda flipped out. The amount of emotional stress this has caused me has been unbearable... but I'm thinking maybe I should just let go of vanity and do a preemptive strike? I'm just worried that if I shave my head people will think I look mean or aggressive, or judge me harshly... I am in college, so shaved heads really aren't common at all.... also I am a freshman so I am trying to establish myself, and my hair actually does look quite good right now so its hard to let go of it. My girlfriend says she thinks it would look good... but I've never even had a buzz cut (worn it fairly long most of my life), so I just don't know. I think this might be something i need to do to ease my state of mind... its not worth worrying about my hair so frequently... it just sucks that this has to happen so soon... especially because my dad is 50 and has a full head. I know most of you have been through this before. I looked on hairless forums and all I saw were a bunch of insecure aging men willing to be slave to drug companies and scams. I came here and I saw support, confidence, and acceptance. What should I do?

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Deciding to make the plunge?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:38:41 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood Picard (are you a trekkie? :)) Anyways, if you have the urge, I suggest you try it out and see if you like it, if not, you can always grow it out but let me warn you, majority of guys here never went back to having hair once they have tried shaving smooth. A picture would be a big help if you want to get honest advice and comments.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Picard

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
ok here is a photo! Here is another photo: I hope that works I am new to this whole forum thing... it doesn't look like I'm losing my hair yet, but its definitely coming

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
Orphan hairs on your pillow means that your SLY manhood is awaiting !  Your slydom is just a few steps away.  If you have a cool girl that likes you ... rehardless .... and you are accepting the vanity followed by emotional stress related to Male Pattern Baldness ... then rejoice and accept !  Establish yourself as confident ... and not an emotional hair derailment !

Offline Picard

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
and I'm not too much of a trekkie, but I love TNG and picard is my bald role model haha

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
Do it, keep it till you're comfortable with it, and if you let it grow back you can feel comfortable about losing your hair later on. By the way, I'm about your age, so in college, you'll get double-takes and a few jokes on the first day nothing too bad. But I don't know about the second day yet. I just did it tuesday for the first time, going BBC, it feels great.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:14:59 PM by Chris_John »

Offline Picard

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice :)... but.. how do I get myself to take that plunge...

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
The only way to make it happen, is when you decide to make it happen. Take control of the situation.

Based on the photos, you'll look fine.

As far as being considered mean or aggressive - that all depends on how you present yourself. If you smile, speak well, are polite and generally kind - those are the things people will notice. Plus, you will have such confidence now that you are not worrying about hair you are likely to be much more at ease.

Yes, you'll get some comments. Again, it's how you handle it. Have a sense of humor, don't take any of it too seriously. Remember, you are doing this for yourself. No one else lives with your hairloss issues 24/7.

Personally, I went to the barber and had her shave it all off (I still had plenty of hair but it was annoyingly gray) with the clippers. Then I came home and took plenty of time and did a proper razor shave. Wow - the sensation was extraordinary.

When you do it - commit to the 30 day challenge: Shave daily for 30 days which does a lot of things. First, it provides plenty of time for you and others to become accustomed to the new look. Second, it gives you plenty of opportunity to refine your head shaving skills. And, third, it gives you scalp a bit of time to toughen which will make shaving easier. And post updates here - questions, reactions from others, observations about being sly, questioning why you didn't do this before now, and all that.

I agree it's tough at a young age - but living the Sly life is great at any age.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »
Do you have access to a pair of clippers? If so, just take them without a guard and put one dent in your hair. It doesn't require an extreme amount of willpower, just put that first dent in, and make sure you've read whatever you can about how to shave it off with a razor once you've used the clippers.

Just that one little dent with the clippers. The rest will follow.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:13 AM »
For a young person, sometimes a good excuse is helpful. Shave bald to support someone doing cancer therapy. Then just keep shaving. See st baldrick.

I work in an office of IT geeks. Short hair is the norm. So i buzzed my head. Then a few bald guys(not in the office) encouraged me to try sly. I did. I love it.

30 day rule is important.

Get the clipped out.No guard. Run a reverse Mohawk right through the top. Easy t to do. Now you have no recourse than y to finish the buzz or shave.

My first buzz no guard was a personal accident. (I took the guard off to 'clean it' and made one more pass without replacing the guard -- thinking the guard was still in place.  Now, no choice but to buzz the whole top with no guard and make it match. Yikes it was short. I think that this is what got me going towards SLY.). But i liked the result.

Go for it.  I it will look good.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:52:05 AM by mrzed »

Andrei

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:35:41 AM »
Picard, you're making it sound difficult, when it's not.
From what I can see in your photos you still have a full head of hair; so shaving it off is like trying a new style. You can keep it or not, it's up to you; but your hair will grow back so it's not a life time decision.
Now, you have been thinking about shaving your head and I see you haven't dropped the idea, so the chances are very low to simply forget about it.
IMO sooner is better.

@MrZed: nice picture!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »
Welcome, and good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

theman

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
Welcome and great avitar Zed looking super ! O0

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
Picard, maybe your dad will join you as BBC when you shave your head!

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
Leave the clippers and shaving materials out in your bathroom. Make sure to leave the clippers plugged in. Just walk in sometime when you have an hour off and take of a few inches of hair without the guard. The rest will instantly follow, just look at it as just doing those few inches at first...