Author Topic: New and need advice  (Read 8680 times)

Offline tranceavia

• Sly Guy in Training
New and need advice
« on: February 26, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »
Hi all,

Great site here and love the optimisum you all have!

So ive been slowly thinning for the last 3 years. Im 29 now and its getting to the point that every time i see i mirror i just see the light shine on my head! I still have a fair amount of hair but im receeding above my temples quite far now.

Im ready to just get it off but my wife is less convinced. Any ideas?

I want to own it not do it because i have to if that makes any sense. I can only do one hair style now i dont even like just to make it look half decent coverage lol!

Anyone else at same stage as me?

Forever new frontiers

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: New and need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »
Welcome to the board, Tranceavia.

You want to own it, not just do it? EXCELLENT attitude, sir; and to those of us who like being smooth, it makes complete sense. If you like it and do not act hesitant or unsure about it, your wife will come to like it as well. Give her the thirty days (which you will see discussed in many of the threads here) to acclimate to the new look.

The hardest part for me was getting up the nerve to take that first swipe with the clippers. Once I got past that step, the anxiety went away completely. It has been three years, and I never have regretted my decision.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:42:18 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »
Sorry this is happening to you, but a lot of guys here went through the same thing at an earlier age.  For me, it was in my late 40's. 

You can take it slow and buzz it shorter and shorter until you are ready to shave, or you can go cold turkey and shave it now.  If you give it 30 days you will love (almost 100% of guys with MPB do like it).  Wives (and mothers) will almost always tell their guys not to shave, but will come around.  You have nothing to loose, and it will grow back like it is if you don't like it.
SlyBeard

Offline tranceavia

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:37:22 AM »
Thank you gents.

My mate and i were joking about he shave thr other day. Were going on holiday jn october and said we sould do it night before we travel. And ill just take it lower and lower each normal cut before the  and make it a hopefully easier adjustment for everyone else?

Im just fed up with hair. Standing on the train station this time of year i feel the cold on my scalp and want to stick a nice warm hat on it but going to a professional office noone wants t see hat hair!!! Lol

But the downsides are that ive got quite a fat face and a nice ridge at the back of my head. Ill try and get some pictures later.
Forever new frontiers

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 05:46:13 AM »
i believe you would look great shaved.

Offline tranceavia

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »
Heres a couple of shots ive cropped to give a bit of perspective of head shape. Whole body pne was about 8 months ago and lost fair bit since then...
Forever new frontiers

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »
October is a long time to wait.  Why put yourself through the stress of waiting, just go ahead and do it.
SlyBeard

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
Welcome, Tranceavia!

Thanks for showing the pics. Two things that are in your favor are that one, you have a good starter beard to offset the shock of going sly and two, you have a friend to sort of help you out on your journey. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tranceavia

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
Thanks all. Thought october as going on hokiday then and git a week to get used to it befire work

That a good idea? Also where am i with head shape?
Forever new frontiers

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 03:47:04 PM »
Head shape looks good to me.  I think you will be quite happy with how you look if you shave.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »
Why wait until October.  Try a buzz first and see what you think - keep the beard which is already looking good.  You can always shave later and I think you would look good.
Roger

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 06:00:24 AM »
You need to do it now. Forget waiting. Your hair is short enough that the head shape will not be a mystery. Nothing better than the warm sun on a sly head after the spring thaw. Just put some sunscreen on it.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:29 AM »
So right you are. Ive only been sly about 2 months now, and the weather is changing rapidly from winter to spring already where i live. Such a wonderful sensation feeling the cold air on my bald head in the mornings, and warm sun come afternoon. Now i just cant wait till it warms up enough to begin swimming season, and experience what its going to feel like having the water flow over my scalp as i move through it. To the op of this thread, these and other great sensations await you, the sooner you give it a try, the soiner you can know what it is we are talking about!
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline kuzio

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 04:33:51 PM »
That a good idea? Also where am i with head shape?

You have a great head shape from what I can see, you should try going for it when you have a free day like over the weekend or something. I'm less than a week into shaving right now and I really like it and I think you will too.

Also if you're hesitating because of your wife:
Quote from: your future self
It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission ;)

Enter your email address: