Author Topic: Which DE razor and shaving cream?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Fudd44

• Learning the way of Sly
Which DE razor and shaving cream?
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »
Hi everyone. I have been shaving my head for about 2 years now and have mainly been using the Gillette Blue III along with Nivea 0% alcohol shaving gel/foam.
I am really wanting to try DE shaving but unsure which one to go for as a beginner. I've read good reviews from various ones but I think I may be inclined towards the Merkur 23 C as it's got a long handle and supposedly weighted more towards the head (not sure if this is correct). If not I might try the Merkur 34 C.
I am also unsure about which shaving cream to try. I have a brush already but haven't really used it, apart from once when I tried Head Slick. I never thought much to it but I think my technique was all wrong.
I am in the U.K. So any knowledge on what I can get here would be appreciated.
The Merkur 23 C and 34 C are both on Amazon.
Thanks guys.

Offline Jloewe

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Which DE razor and shaving cream?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
I bought the Dorco Prime starter kit for $20 and I can say it's pretty good.  Came with 30 Dorco blades which are also very good.  However I almost wish I had gone with the Stirling starter set as I had to buy separate soap and a brush.  Stirling will give you a great starter set.  Plus they're soap is amazing and comes in a ton of scents, along with matching pre-shave/beard oil, lotion, after shave, and bath soap.  All around a great company and they have very good prices.  If you're looking for something maybe a little cheaper Proraso is pretty good too.  They both have a good reputation, good price, and are quality products.