Author Topic: 19 years old, pretty certain im going bald please help !  (Read 3978 times)

Offline jackjohn12

• Learning the way of Sly
19 years old, pretty certain im going bald please help !
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:40:30 AM »
I have been having diffuse thinning for the last 1.5 years, while the thinning most noticeably is on my head, also my eyebrows feel thinner, armpits, pubic region, everywhere basically. I took accutane for a year about 3 months before this started, which I think was the trigger for this all since I had a lot of other side effects that happened around then. While the hair on my sides, back are all very thin but to some degree more at the crown. I have seen 5-6 doctors about this problem. Blood has been tested multiple times, with iron and thyroid are all fine but about a year ago my thyroid was slightly abnormal but now its fine. TBH all of this hair thinning started after I stupidly washed my hair with baking soda ( about 3 table spoons) but all the derms said they didnt think that baking soda could cause permanent thinning and once I cut that damaged hair off, my new hair would be healthy. While my hair is very very thin right now, it looks fairly well when dry. But clearly I know that it has thinned to a great degree. My scalp is always very itchy, but use shampoo for that and I can assure you its not seborrheic dermatitis. One dermatologist I saw thought I have chronic telogen effluvium while I think that is odd since I have no shedding. One trichologist told me he thought it was male pattern baldness and wanted me to also buy his products/Lasercomb. One trichologist told me I definitely have some diffuse thinning but don't have male pattern baldness and wanted me to buy his products/lasercomb. I don't really want to use Propecia since accutane already induced some form of ED for me. My hair is also insanely fine, waspy and straw like material. Does anyone know what doctor I should be looking for or can recommend a doctor in Toronto or have any insight to what I may have? Im assuming either CTE, early male pattern baldness or diffuse Alopecia areata.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: 19 years old, pretty certain im going bald please help !
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:24:59 AM »
Welcome mate, you wont find too many people here advocating hairloss treatments, we tend to be more about accepting what life has dealt in regards to hair coverage.
seeing the photos yeah you probably are on the lighter amount of hair for someone your age, but you would be the main one noticing it, close cropped can minimise the appearance at earlier stages and I know I find shaved to be a liberating thing (coming from a guy who was thinning quite a bit in his early 20s)
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 03:38:04 AM »
Welcome to the board. I agree with Dan, you should maybe go shorter to minimize the diffusion.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »
 if you're genetically predisposed to thinning we're losing your hair it's going to start as you sexually mature and start producing a lot of testosterone. 

from your photos I can see that you're still a lot of hair so you got a long way to go however when your hair starts the ninth the shorter the last dose of what is especially if you cut the side shorter than the top.  i'm a newl licensed Barber and if you were asking my opinion I would tell you to get a fade styl haircut that shows some skin on the sides and cut the top down to an Ivy League likes no more than an inch at the longest and continue to go shorter as your hair thins.  you could wear a buzz cut with bald-faded sides for years and nobody would have any clue that your ha was thinning.

Offline jackjohn12

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:44 AM »
I have asian hair, my hair looks weird if its in between a two guard and about 2 inches long, Im thinking of getting a faded buzz, with a 2 on top down to about .5. Which will completely hide the thinning, just not to sure about the buzz look. I feel likes its just one of those things, once you buzz you wont regret it. I hate always just touching my hair or worrying about it getting wet, messed up etc.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 06:28:11 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
I agree with Dan.
I started receding in my teens too but I always expected to go bald so it didn't bother me. The only mistake I made was to wait until my late 20s to shave it all off. Best decision ever.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 12:57:19 PM »
From the looks of your pictures, you're probably the only one noticing the thinning of your hair. If you rock life, I doubt too many people will for a while. If you can't get past the thinning, then I'd give shaving a try.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.